Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karambos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Munich
I recently bought a G4 MDD dual 1GHz second hand here in Germany. It cam with OS 10.2.8 and OS9.2.2 already installed. OSX is multi-lingual but OS9.2.2 is not; it's in german. I'd prefer it in english.

So I asked around and was advised to buy a retail CD of OS9.2.1 from the apple store (the latest version you can get on CD officially) and to install that then install an upgrade to 9.2.2

So I bought one. When I put it in the computer I get the message "This program cannot run on your computer. See the documentation for more information." But the documentation says it SHOULD run on my computer :
++++++++++++++++++++
IMPORTANT
• Mac OS 9.2 supports Mac OS X compatible computers
You can install this version of Mac OS 9.2 on any of the following computers: Power Mac G4, Power Macintosh G3, PowerBook G4, PowerBook G3 (except the original PowerBook G3), iMac, and iBook.
++++++++++++++++++++

Can anyone help me further my quest in getting OS9.2.2 in english on my computer? Can anyone explain the contradictory message/docu thing?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OS 9 is very picky regarding which computers it can be installed on. Basically, the rule is that you can't install a version older than what was supplied with your computer. So as far as I know, it's not possible to install 9.2.1 on your computer. There may be a workaround, or you may have to return your copy of 9.2.1. :(

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
It can be very, very annoying....

You'll be needing a Mac OS 9.2.2 CD with new enough Mac OS ROM on it for it to be bootable for your Mac.

I wonder: you bought the G4 and bought a Retail version of the Mac OS 9.2.1 CD (which would never have worked)...Have you searched the P2P sharing for a Mac OS 9.2.2 (US) CD? I wouldn't feel bad about it in your case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.