Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sscrib

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
I have discovered another workaround. The key is to create your reminders with a due date from within the calendar on iCloud.com. Once you do that, they should then appear in your Reminders apps with the due date option available alongside of the option to set an alert. I have detailed the process with screenshots on my blog:

http://blog.truthdialogue.com/2012/07/setting-due-dates-in-the-os-x-mountain-lion-reminders-app.html

I sure hope Apple makes an easier way to do this. I'm pretty disappointed in the Reminders app as it stands right now. Anyway, enjoy.

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I had not noticed this until I saw your thread. I have some tasks that got imported from iCal (Lion) and in Reminders those items DO have due dates that came over, so the data field is supported.

I tinkered around adding some test items and confirmed your finding that there is no way to add a due date in the Reminders app itself.

What I did find works is adding the Reminder item from another helper app like QuickCal or Fantastical. Using either of these tools does add a due date. Here is my test item.

This is the most lame task management app ever. There is not even a way to sort by due date. :mad:

I am just accessing tasks in Fantastical and never even use the Reminders app. Reminders app is just the data store/sync source for me.

Creating a reminder in Fantastical with a due date does in fact activate the due date setting in Reminders both in OS X and in iOS. But I just noticed that if you add a remind me-time in iOS (which you can't in Fantastical), the due date setting disappear.

So one would have to first set due date in Fantastical, then add a time for reminder in OS X in case you want to change the time for reminder in iOS without losing due date.

Simple, intuitive ;)

dh2015

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
Right click on an entry that has the due date feature, copy it, and paste it. The pasted entry will have the due date feature. Edit with your new description.

sigbiz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Due date workaround - sort of

When Reminders was first launched I didn't like it, now I do rather, the simplicity is admirable and saves you time. Re the lack of a due date which I found annoying especially for repeats I created a special list called "repeats". That way they don't clog up the view of the other tasks and as they all have alerts set then they show when they are needed.

My one request would be that the alerts carry an "open item" so you can go straight to the task.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.