Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I have an opportunity to start fresh. We bought a foreclosure and we're putting 50K into a 900 square foot home so we're gutting out the interior and putting new everything inside. GF & I are both Apple geeks.

This is what we have now:
  • MacBook Pro 15 & 13
  • iMac 5K
  • Synology NAS (dual drive, DS214 Play)
  • EdgeRouter Pro w/ PoE
  • 3 802.11AC Unifi Long range access points
  • 7.1 Home theater system, 1080P projector, AppleTV
  • Wii U, Xbox One, Xbox 360
  • iPad Pro, IPad Air 2
  • iPhone 6S / 6
Here are some things on our list:

• Netatmo Weather Station for Smartphone
  • NETATMO Rain Gauge
  • Wind Gauge for The Weather Station
  • Netatmo Mount, for Netatmo Rain Gauge
  • Additional indoor Module for Netatmo Weather Station
  • First Alert ONELINK Wi-Fi Hardwired Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
  • ecobee3 Smart Wi-Fi Thermostat
  • Lutron Caséta Wireless Smart Lighting Plug-in Lamp Dimmer Kit
  • Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with Camelot Trim
  • Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell
I'm also having Cat 5e cables dropped in all rooms w/ a server rack in the basement where pretty much everything will live:

• Tripp Lite 12U Wall-Mount Rack Enclosure Cabinet, Hinged Back, Low-Profile Switch-Depth (SRW12US)
  • CyberPower Smart App Intelligent LCD Rackmount GreenPower UPS OR700LCDRM1U 700VA 400W 4 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected 2 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS
  • Lexmark MS312dn Duplex 1200 dpi x 1200 dpi USB / Parallel / Ethernet Monochrome Laser Printer
  • Cisco Small Business 200 Series SLM2024T-NA Smart Gigabit Switch SG200-26
  • Tripp Lite SRFAN1U 1U SmartRack 1U Fan Tray, 3 120V High-Performance Fans, 210 CFM, 5-15P Plug
  • RIPP LITE 24-Port 1U Rackmount Cat6 110 Patch Panel, 568B, RJ45 Ethernet
  • StarTech CABSHELF1U 1U 19" Universal Fixed Server Rack Cabinet Shelf
  • BYTECC C6E-1000B 1000 ft. Cat 6 Blue Bulk Cable
--------------

My question is around home Kit. The devices I listed, these are all home kit right? If you were to have the opportunity to build up your place today, new appliances, home kit tech, etc. what are things you'd change on my list or add to my list? I want to do this right from the beginning.

Are the devices on the market today fully integrated with the Home Kit changes in iOS 10? Will I need to upgrade everything after iOS 10 ships?

I also thought about putting an iPad Mini on the wall to control things. Any value in this? Maybe getting a Sonos system w/ Apple Music family plan on the iPad that also can control all devices?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I think all you're missing is ASIMO to help with the laundry :D

330px-HONDA_ASIMO.jpg

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I just bought a brand new washer & dryer earlier this year but I am looking at the robot laundry folding thing.

We have a Roomba as well and I wish it was 'connected' via HomeKit so i could tell Roomba to start vacuuming mid-day or before I get home w/ guests. I also wish Roomba had a steam-cleaning feature.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
Same boat with you but pretty much nothing else works with homekit. You're going to want to look into homebridge to get a bigger list

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
I recently moved and outfitted my new home with HomeKit. I like my Ecobee thermostat and Philips Hue lights. I have two Schlage Sense locks which are nice but sometimes they lose connection with the phone and I have to disconnect/reconnect the battery. I have 4 iDevice plugs, one of them controls a dumb coffee maker.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The Ring is not HomeKit compatible - at least not yet. They're listed as one of Apple's HomeKit partners but none of their products yet are HK-certified.

I have a Ring Pro, so here's hoping it's just a firmware update and not new hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.