Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
hey guys is there some remote admins tools that can control the volume and imitate the shutdown.exe cmd that is on a windows machine

what i would like to do is be able to tell me windows 2003 pc to shutdown in 10 min from my ibook

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You have several options here.

First, you can use Remote Desktop which comes with Windows Server 2003. This allows you to login remotely and use the machine just as if you were sitting in front of it.

Second, you can enable the Windows Telnet service. Keep in mind that this type of access is inherently insecure as someone can sniff your network traffic and obtain your authentication information.

Third, you can install an SSH Server, such as SSHWindows or the Cygwin suite, and ssh to the box. Then you can run the commands, just as in the Telnet server, but it is encrypted.

Last option is to install a VNC server on the Windows machine and use a VNC client to connect to it. This is identical to the Remote Desktop solution, except for the fact that it connects to the console exclusively.

EDIT: To modify the volume settings, I think you will most certainly need to use RDC or VNC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.