Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lirn8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
israel
According to Apple, yes. Many have the "sticky crown" problem and Apple says a rinse under warm water will fix it. I have washed mine under warm water once a week with no harm.

Just the crown area or is it ok to give the watch a little shower?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The whole watch can be washed under the faucet with warm water. I even have the brown leather loop and wash it at the same time. Will not hurt either. There are people who shower and even swim with their Apple Watch. Apple says it is OK to do so. You are covered under Apple's warranty.

Your watch is much more durable than you believe.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: wchigo and lirn8

lirn8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
israel
The whole watch can be washed under the faucet with warm water. I even have the brown leather loop and wash it at the same time. Will not hurt either. There are people who shower and even swim with their Apple Watch. Apple says it is OK to do so. You are covered under Apple's warranty.

Your watch is mush more durable than you believe.

Enjoy!
Thanks

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden

Enjoy!

You should take care of that leather from time to time. It is definitely the less water resistant part of the watch.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You should take care of that leather from time to time. It is definitely the less water resistant part of the watch.

I agree but it is so highly processed that I doubt it has the characteristics of leather anymore. I tried using a saddle soap on a small area to see if it did anything and it did not from what I could see. It did not even darken slightly like you would expect leather to behave so it is going to be wash and wear to me.

Reactions: Jack426

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015

Enjoy!
While I know this to be true, I'm still hesitant to do so as I'm just not used to putting any kind of electronic device in/under water. I am starting to experience the sticky crown more often these days, so I'll probably give it a quick rinse at the same time I rinse out my Black Sports Band...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
While I know this to be true, I'm still hesitant to do so as I'm just not used to putting any kind of electronic device in/under water. I am starting to experience the sticky crown more often these days, so I'll probably give it a quick rinse at the same time I rinse out my Black Sports Band...

I understand you not wanting to put your watch under water but it will not hurt it to wash it. If your crown is starting to stick, simply get the faucet to deliver WARM water and put you watch under the faucet whole manipulating to crown. The stickiness goes away.

It needs more than a quick rinse while washing your band. It needs to be long enough for you to both twist and push in the crown till it operates smoothly. Then take a soft towel and dry it off. I do it weekly and have had no more crown problems.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: wchigo

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
I understand you not wanting to put your watch under water but it will not hurt it to wash it. If your crown is starting to stick, simply get the faucet to deliver WARM water and put you watch under the faucet whole manipulating to crown. The stickiness goes away.

It needs more than a quick rinse while washing your band. It needs to be long enough for you to both twist and push in the crown till it operates smoothly. Then take a soft towel and dry it off. I do it weekly and have had no more crown problems.

Enjoy!
Yeah, I use warm water to wash off my Sports Band after working out but I tend to remove the pieces from the watch before running them under the faucet, so in my previous post I just meant I would keep everything together instead of taking it apart.

It doesn't always stick, like it's fine now, but I'll be sure to give it a shot next time.

It can be unnerving to put it under water for the first time (as we're so used to being careful to keep our iPhones away from water), but you'll get used to it.
I suppose so, as I am still quite apprehensive about this, haha... *cue nervous laughter*

Reactions: Newtons Apple

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Yeah, I use warm water to wash off my Sports Band after working out but I tend to remove the pieces from the watch before running them under the faucet, so in my previous post I just meant I would keep everything together instead of taking it apart.

It doesn't always stick, like it's fine now, but I'll be sure to give it a shot next time.

I suppose so, as I am still quite apprehensive about this, haha... *cue nervous laughter*

It will be fine. I swim with mine, wash it often since its humid here and I sweat when I run/ride. I have been to water parks with it on. No problems. The only issue really is when your finger and the face are wet it will not respond since it cannot detect the capacitance correctly. (it wont know your finger is on the display).

Reactions: wchigo

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA

Enjoy!

This is not really correct. I'd be careful to tell people this, as it does not appear to be Apple's true statement, unless you have some evidence? Apple has not made a statement that it is ok for swimming or that swimming is covered by the warranty. Please provide an Apple statement if you have one.

You can see one of Apple's statements here: https://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch/stainless-steel-case-milanese-loop/

The relevant comment being the text on the Water Resistance footnote: "Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant."

I agree that it is working fine for a lot of people swimming. :)

What we will probably see is that it works fine for a year or so, but as the watch ages the water resistance deteriorates some. Then it will fail while swimming, but would have continued to be fine for showering and it's other splash rating related activities.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This is not really correct. I'd be careful to tell people this, as it does not appear to be Apple's true statement, unless you have some evidence? Apple has not made a statement that it is ok for swimming or that swimming is covered by the warranty. Please provide an Apple statement if you have one.

You can see one of Apple's statements here: https://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch/stainless-steel-case-milanese-loop/

The relevant comment being the text on the Water Resistance footnote: "Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant."

I agree that it is working fine for a lot of people swimming. :)

What we will probably see is that it works fine for a year or so, but as the watch ages the water resistance deteriorates some. Then it will fail while swimming, but would have continued to be fine for showering and it's other splash rating related activities.

I agree and stand corrected - NO SWIMMING with your Apple Watch, Thanks.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
It will be fine. I swim with mine, wash it often since its humid here and I sweat when I run/ride. I have been to water parks with it on. No problems. The only issue really is when your finger and the face are wet it will not respond since it cannot detect the capacitance correctly. (it wont know your finger is on the display).
I know, I'm sure it will be. I'm still just a tad bit hesitant because I'm trying to undo years of conditioning that taught me to keep electronics away from water. I tend to try to keep my stuff in the best condition possible and generally that means keeping my phone, tablet, laptop, handheld gaming device, etc. away from those bad, bad liquids. I even use a keyboard cover on my rMBP right now to keep particulates from falling into the tiny gaps under the keys.

Once I start trying it and get used to it, I'll probably not give it another thought... but for now, the idea still feels foreign to me.:oops:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I know, I'm sure it will be. I'm still just a tad bit hesitant because I'm trying to undo years of conditioning that taught me to keep electronics away from water. I tend to try to keep my stuff in the best condition possible and generally that means keeping my phone, tablet, laptop, handheld gaming device, etc. away from those bad, bad liquids. I even use a keyboard cover on my rMBP right now to keep particulates from falling into the tiny gaps under the keys.

Once I start trying it and get used to it, I'll probably not give it another thought... but for now, the idea still feels foreign to me.:oops:

I deconditioned myself by starting slow. First, I washed my hands while wearing the watch, and allowed the water to splash over it. Then, I washed dishes with the watch on, and let it get even more wet. After doing that for a few days, I started feeling more comfortable about getting the watch wet, until one day, I just found myself plunging the arm with the watch into a big bucket of water to fish out a rag from the bottom. Now, I feel perfectly fine about sticking the watch in water whenever it needs some cleaning.

I have the black sports band, btw.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
I agree but it is so highly processed that I doubt it has the characteristics of leather anymore. I tried using a saddle soap on a small area to see if it did anything and it did not from what I could see. It did not even darken slightly like you would expect leather to behave so it is going to be wash and wear to me.
Same. I can't (for the life of me) figure out how to get out the yellowish (sweat) stains from my blue leather loop. I've tried saddle soap, and a leather car seat/handbag cleaner, neither did a thing.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Same. I can't (for the life of me) figure out how to get out the yellowish (sweat) stains from my blue leather loop. I've tried saddle soap, and a leather car seat/handbag cleaner, neither did a thing.

Hmmmm.

I got the brown and the black and have sweated and washed both multiple time and are worn everyday and they have not changed even the slightest bit. I was thinking of getting the blue one but now you have me thinking. Anyway you could post an image where it is stained? I would take it back to Apple if you can.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
Hmmmm.

I got the brown and the black and have sweated and washed both multiple time and are worn everyday and they have not changed even the slightest bit. I was thinking of getting the blue one but now you have me thinking. Anyway you could post an image where it is stained? I would take it back to Apple if you can.
Here is the thread where I posted the picture: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/sport-band-quality-wear-issue.1882164/page-2#post-21508891

It's more "yellow" in person, it doesn't really show well in the picture. It's definitely not dirt, or anything, as I've tried cleaning it with different leather cleaners and nothing has worked. Don't get me wrong, it's not the end of the world and it's not noticeable from far away, but boy does it annoy me.

I actually returned my Stone loop thinking that something was wrong with the band, however this one started doing the same. I now only wear my new Stone loop occasionally, trying to keep it from doing the same again.

Last edited:

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
I deconditioned myself by starting slow. First, I washed my hands while wearing the watch, and allowed the water to splash over it. Then, I washed dishes with the watch on, and let it get even more wet. After doing that for a few days, I started feeling more comfortable about getting the watch wet, until one day, I just found myself plunging the arm with the watch into a big bucket of water to fish out a rag from the bottom. Now, I feel perfectly fine about sticking the watch in water whenever it needs some cleaning.

I have the black sports band, btw.
That's not a bad idea. I've gotten the screens of both my Pebble and Apple Watch wet before while washing hands due to the splashing water, but it's usually very little in the grand scheme of things. I suppose the other thing that somewhat worries me, even despite the water resistance rating and whatnot, are the speaker and mic holes on the opposite side of the digital crown; if the entire watch were sealed I guess I'd feel better, but those two exposed areas have me a little more nervous it seems.

I got my watch with the Black Sports Band, which is starting to peel due to wear it seems, so I'll likely put my watch under the faucet with it rather than my Brown or Black Leather Loops. Cheers for the reassurance mate.

Thepixelsedge

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I have a two yr old son with constantly sticky hands and a keen interest in my watch (42mm SS) so it gets dirty A LOT. I took Apple's advice and rinsed my watch crown under warm water. It worked perfect so I got in the habit of just washing my whole watch, sport band and all every couple days. The other day after doing so I noticed that there was no audio from my watch. I shook it onto my desk and a surprising amount of water came out of that tiny hole. Ever since then its been fine and works perfectly but I'm hesitant to let water go over that area again.

Reactions: samiznaetekto

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
I have a two yr old son with constantly sticky hands and a keen interest in my watch (42mm SS) so it gets dirty A LOT. I took Apple's advice and rinsed my watch crown under warm water. It worked perfect so I got in the habit of just washing my whole watch, sport band and all every couple days. The other day after doing so I noticed that there was no audio from my watch. I shook it onto my desk and a surprising amount of water came out of that tiny hole. Ever since then its been fine and works perfectly but I'm hesitant to let water go over that area again.

Here we go, another "I told you so". It's only a matter of time that the deposits from water will muffle speaker and mic. I predict a massive outcry of iWatch washers/showerers/swimmers in a year or so.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Here we go, another "I told you so". It's only a matter of time that the deposits from water will muffle speaker and mic. I predict a massive outcry of iWatch washers/showerers/swimmers in a year or so.

So you are going to not wash your watch, ever? Nasty.

If my watch shows any harm from its occasional bath, I will have Apple replace it with AC+. Nothing worn on the human body can go with an occasional wash as humans create a lot of gunk.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014

You're right for some places that have hard water. It might be something to think about. Here though, the water is soft with no deposits. Either way, if Apple says right in their instructions to wash the crown with warm water and you do then how did you go wrong? Over time I see the crown being modified to either a virtual crown or another type of interface to avoid the issue of dirt/salt/whatever behind the crown. The original iPod had issues with the scroll wheel which was changed to a pad if you recall for the same basic reason. You make a point though about the water but I would not personally worry too much about it. It takes quite a bit of time for buildup to take place from water and I think dirt would build faster so you might as well let yourself clean the watch when needed. Use almost hot water for the best results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.