Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I am looking for help/advice on how to deal with a low storage issue. I have a MacBook Air with only a 128 GB SDD and need to update to a newer version of MacOS. I have deleted everything I possibly can but still don't have enough space on the HDD.

However, the Photos App is using 14.17 GB of space, despite having turned on 'Optimise Mac Storage'. (See attachments).

I have all my photos in iCloud, and stored on other Macs with larger drives, so I don't actually need Photos on the MacBook Air. Is there any way I can safely delete the Photos app on the MacBook Air and get back the 14.17 GB of space so I can perform the install? I am not very familiar with how iCloud storage works..

1.png
2.png

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Sign out of iCloud on the Mac where storage is needed. That should remove, or allow you to remove, the photos on that Mac. Sign back in when you are done with the update. I think.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If you simply unblock the iCloud Photos button, you'll turn cloud syncing off. Then you can delete all photos from the app very easily–-select all > delete.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Sign out of iCloud Photos - it'll ask if you want to download, say “no”. Once you’re signed out quit the Photos app, and the go into the Finder and trash your “Photos Library.” Done!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Make sure you don't have data tied up in Time Machine snapshots.

Open Disk Utility and select your drive, then under View, "Show APFS snapshots". They will appear at the bottom.

If you have snapshots they are likely still "holding onto" the deleted data and not freeing up the space. You can delete the snapshots here, but be ABSOLUTELY SURE you won't want to recover any data you've deleted recently!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.