Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
can you remove apple silly mono speaker in the MDD powermacs?

i have never used it and see no need for it. has anyone else taken their out? I wonder if i could take it out if I should just give my mac another hole for it to breathe better. I dono

Tyler

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: Removing Power Macs weak speaker?

Originally posted by TyleRomeo
can you remove apple silly mono speaker in the MDD powermacs?

i have never used it and see no need for it. has anyone else taken their out? I wonder if i could take it out if I should just give my mac another hole for it to breathe better. I dono

Tyler

Removing it may void the warranty, but if you feel the need, pm me and I can arrange to get you some directions. You can simply unplug it inside the mac, look here, if you can't figure out where that is inside the mac, pm me again ;).
I am not responsible for you killing your powermac.

Attachments

• powermac.jpg
    powermac.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 298

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Why would you want to remove it? If you don't have headphones in and whatever you might be using for speakers aren't working or something, you need something to make the alert sounds at least, heh.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not entirely sure why one would want to remove this either. I think its a great feature for those who don't want to buy speakers and just want to hear basic alerts like instant messages or any other basic noise. All computers should have some sort of basic speaker device IMO.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by markjones05
I'm not entirely sure why one would want to remove this either. I think its a great feature for those who don't want to buy speakers and just want to hear basic alerts like instant messages or any other basic noise. All computers should have some sort of basic speaker device IMO.

well i have my yamaha stereo hooked up to my mac at all times so for any beeps and alerts, I have in stereo. My warranty is up anyway. And wouldn't it help the mac breathe better if a device that isnt even used be taken out. I just hope it doesnt effect the front mounted headphone jack. Becuase I sometimes do use that.

Tyler

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Re: Re: Removing Power Macs weak speaker?

Originally posted by Wes

I am not responsible for you killing your powermac.

thanks wes, i'll hold of on a Power Mac surgery right now.

Tyler

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Removing the speaker won't help you a bit. If you feel the need to increase the air-flow through your computer you can install one of these.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by zarathustra
Removing the speaker won't help you a bit. If you feel the need to increase the air-flow through your computer you can install one of these.

I have a dual gig QS and removing the front speaker helped out alot. I'd planned on installing an 80mm fan in place of the speaker, but just removing the speaker caused enough air-floor increase to drop temps so an additional fan wasn't needed. Although I did install a fan filter to help keep dust out.

Lethal

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My warranty is up anyway.

Um, if the MDDs were released in Aug 02 and have a 1-year warranty, how can it have expired already?

Don't flame me if I've got the dates wrong :(

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Nermal
Um, if the MDDs were released in Aug 02 and have a 1-year warranty, how can it have expired already?

Don't flame me if I've got the dates wrong :(

No, you got it right. I was going to ask about this as well, as Apples warranties on all machines are 1 year.

Prehaps you made a modification that voided your warranty? If so, please tell us about it. I'm a sucker for the mods. ;)

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by ibookin'
No, you got it right. I was going to ask about this as well, as Apples warranties on all machines are 1 year.

Prehaps you made a modification that voided your warranty? If so, please tell us about it. I'm a sucker for the mods. ;)

haha, no youre right its a 1 year deal but my 90 day is up. only mods ive done so far is a 200GB hard drive, 512 crucial ram and a new power supply and fan. but i consider my warranty up anyway. im not worried about my baby.

Tyler

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
haha, no youre right its a 1 year deal but my 90 day is up. only mods ive done so far is a 200GB hard drive, 512 crucial ram and a new power supply and fan. but i consider my warranty up anyway. im not worried about my baby.

Tyler

how old are you? (this is a serious q, not an insult)

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion
Maybe this will cool your mac down....

products_heavy_duty.jpg

-Dr. D.

hey Dr.D, at first i thought that was a jet engine but i checked out the site and it really is big freakin' fan. reminds me of MIB...

Originally posted by benixau
how old are you? (this is a serious q, not an insult)

why are you asking? you think he sounds like a kid? i think he's just someone who likes doing things to his mac. and like me, has no respect or care for warranty. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.