Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tweak3D

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
How do I go about uninstalling iChat, Chess, and any other preinstalled piece of software in Lion? when I try to delete them I get the "Chess cannot be modified or deleted as it is required by Mac OS X". If this is a bug, great, ill wait for it to be fixed. If this was intentional then I don't know why someone would shave such a stupid idea. Its bad enough in the iPhone and iPad but I don't want to have to deal with it on my computer as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Some people like to ONLY have what they want/need on their system, and get rid of the "useless" rest of it.

Tweak3D

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
just ignore them ... why do you want to delete them?

Its the same reason on the phone, I don't use them, I don't want to see them, why have they been made unremovable when in the past there were no issues? Plenty of people complain about it in iOS as a gripe because they don't use the stock apps or they found a better alternative in the app store.

And does it really matter what my reasoning is for not wanting them there? It appears Apple has gone crazy with the not allowing items to be removed in Lion. Can't remove them from the applications folder, can't remove them from the Launchpad. I just don't really like where they are going with this and really hoping this is just a bug or there is an easy workaround.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Do a "Get Info" on the app and change permissions to Read & Write. Worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.