Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidelvampiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Santander
Hello!!

I have a dilemma. I have a PowerMac G5 dual processor 2GHz (summer´04) with 2´5 gigas RAM, 1 seagate 160 gigas, 1 new western digital 500 gigas and Miglia video capture card. All worked perfectly, but the other day the G5 didn´t start up.

In the technical service tell me that I need two new processors, about 1000 euros!!
What can I do? Repair this machine or buy a new MacPro. Here in Spain the apple web don´t have refurbished MacPro.

I use this computer for web, video and video edit, it´s my big hobby.

Thanks and sorry for my english!

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Check the benchmark comparison between the 2 machines, figureout the difference in money between the repair and the new machine, and decide for yourself if the extra money for a new machine is worth the extra performance you'd get.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Well, personally, I get a new machine about every 4 years so I would be due for a new system anyway. I also do video and graphics work. If it was me and I could afford it, I would get a new MacPro. Though if money is tight, your G5 should be fine for you for another couple years if you get that fixed.

Hope that helps.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
It's a tough call – if something else goes wrong in the near future you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't put the money aside for a new machine.

How long would you use the the repaired machine for after you fixed it?

You could sell off the parts on ebay, to get most value out of the G5.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It's a tough call – if something else goes wrong in the near future you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't put the money aside for a new machine.

How long would you use the the repaired machine for after you fixed it?

You could sell off the parts on ebay, to get most value out of the G5.

I second this idea. Either piece it out yourself or sell the whole unit as is with a description of the repair needed (no need to mention price of repair). That repair estimate is far too expensive. After parting it out you could get a replacement G5 off ebay with a total cost that is far less than your quoted repair.

Personally if a Mac Pro seems unnecessary or too expensive then I would buy a used dual 2.0 or better off ebay. Then pull the upgrades from the faulty G5 and place in the replacement unit. Afterwards sell off the junk G5 as is on ebay.

You could also hover around the apple components section on ebay and buy used replacement CPU's for cheap.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Are they certain that it is only the processors?

That is my worry. It could also be the power supply and that would hike the price upwards a considerably amount.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Is there any way you could sell the G5 for bits, sell the vid capture card and get an iMac with some equivalent firewire solution? Of course you'd also want to add a fw case for the external 500GB disk.

Just a thought, since the imac would likely be faster, depending on your software and you'd get a new warranty. You could plug in your old screen too.

dcp063

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
recall?

Are they certain that it is only the processors?

That is my worry. It could also be the power supply and that would hike the price upwards a considerably amount.

You might want to check out Apple's site for the PM G5 power supply recall. My computer wouldn't start (just LED activity and chime)..i'm taking it to my local Apple store to get fixed tomorrow, for free. That way i can sell it and finally get a MBP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.