1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Repeat letters dont work, keyboard?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by umbilical, Sep 13, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

why dont work on mountain repeat letters like put "zzzzzzzzzzzz" I need type z by z , whats the stupid idea of dont let us repeat letters? any solution? thanks

2. macrumors 601

talmy

It's like that because it now allows a shortcut to diacritical marks. You can disable this feature and restore repeating alphabetic characters by typing the following command in Terminal:

Code:
     defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 6502a

thank guys, nice for the apps and "hacks" I usually dont like that kinds of things that touch the system but damn I want repeat letters; why apple remove it? I dont get it... :mad:

thank you!

5. macrumors regular

They removed it because of the special characters like áéöő... So for example if you press and hold "o", a mini popup should appear with special "öő" characters.

6. macrumors 6502a

yes I note that, but I hate that apple remove things and dont put optional, we can choose if we want somethings or not;

thank I remove that with the command line code ;)

thankssssssssssssssssssss

7. macrumors newbie

Was interested in this also, new to the mac side of things still

8. macrumors 603

.....NOW IF APPLE WOULD JUST DISABLE TO CAPS LOCK KEY TOO....:eek:

9. macrumors 601

talmy

System Preferences --> Keyboard --> Keyboard --> Modifier Keys. Then you can set the Caps Lock key to something else: Command, Control, Option, or even "No Action".

10. macrumors 603

I SAID APPLE NOT USER.;) If left up to the user you get CAPS. :D

11. macrumors newbie

Keys will not repeat in Yosemite

I have tried all remedies to no avail. It I enter the command in Terminal, it works for the Terminal mode but nowhere else. I even used Tinker Tool to affect a change but that does not fix it either. The problem is when I am using a word processor app or an email, it simply will not repeat the key when held down. This is a DUMB feature from Apple. Make it an option that can be toggled!!!!!!!!:mad:
    s

12. macrumors 601

talmy

Yep, it looks like they removed that capability. Can only speak for myself but I find the new functionality for diacritical marks useful and never had a reason to write a long string of a single alpha character.