Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Alright, giving up hope on ever having a working DVD drive in my B&W, how do you go about replacing the drive? I've opened up the case, but replacing a drive seems to be confusing! How would i go about replacing a CD-ROM in a B&W G3? Any guides that I couldn't find?

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Well, finally found something after all these minutes of searching :rolleyes:

Here is the link to OWCs tech guide. Its for the Sawtooth but since the case structure is the same as the G3 this will work just fine.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
EDIT:: Two people beat me to it.. I guess I didn't need to write this up :(

im_to_hyper said:
Alright, giving up hope on ever having a working DVD drive in my B&W, how do you go about replacing the drive? I've opened up the case, but replacing a drive seems to be confusing! How would i go about replacing a CD-ROM in a B&W G3? Any guides that I couldn't find?

First off, why are you giving up on installing a DVD? I have had 2 seperate DVD drives in my B&W with no issues, Granted you may first want to do some research as to what drives are natively supported under the OS you are using. In the case of Tiger, mostly all DVD drives I have tested worked fine.

To remove the drive, you first need to take the Drive cage out from the inside of the G3.

power.JPG

This is the inside of a Quicksilver G4 but the job is exactly the same in this case.

There are 3 screws that need to be removed before you can pull the sled out. The first is on top (open the case, and on opposite the side of the case that doesn't open) there will be a screw on the top and bottom of the cage, both screwed into the opposite side of the case.

The 3rd screw will be on the front of the case behind the bezel, but can only be accessed from inside. it is located in the area next to the ZIP drive slot under the CD ROM. There may actually be 4 screws on the G3, I can't remember, as I installed my drives a long time ago, and haven't needed to open it since.

Anyway... After you have the drive cage out (make sure to disconnect cables first ;) ) you can then access the 4 screws on the bottom of the CD drive you want to remove, and slide the drive out the front of the opening.

To cheat, i never replace the screws on the back side of the cage, that way I can simply pop the front Bezel off the case, unscrew the two screws on the bottom towards the opening, and slide the drives in and out with ease.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.