Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
I've been happy, up till recently, with the performance of my G4. Until lately, that is, when I've discovered online FPS games.

Now, I'm starting to wonder... Is it possible, or feasible, or even reasonable to upgrade to a faster processor?

What I have: A Power PC G4 with a 733mhz processor, 1.5G SDRAM, ATI Rage 32 mb video card. I can't find a build date right now, and I know the video card isn't the strong point of my system but... The game I'm currently into, I've been told by all the "gurus" is more processor intensive, than games such as UT2k4, which requires an awesome video card.

Thanks for any help!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
you have a radeon 7500 not a rage no rage had 32mb vram

if you upgrade the video card i would be willing to pay you $160 for the old one

(need it for a cube)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Your video card is probably as much of a problem as your processor. It is possible to upgrade, but hardware upgrades for mac are expensive, and if you can afford it it would probably be worth your money to buy a new computer... Perhaps a 1.6ghz G5

I believe (might want to double check me, i could be wrong) to upgrade your CPU and video card to about the best they can be (1.4ghz g4, basically), you'd probably end up paying about $700, and if you sold your current computer and bought a 1.6ghz G5 you'd probably be paying about $1000 for what I think would be a pretty significantly better machine.

Just my two cents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.