Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Well last week or so, one of my iPod earbuds got crunched by the car door. I bought my iPod new in March, so would I have any problems getting replacement earbuds from Apple as long as I don't tell them about the car door incident? :D

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
You mean even if you got new earbuds out of Apple by not telling them it was your fault you wouldn't have any problems with your conscience? I bought some cheap, Sony earbuds when I lost my Apple earbuds and they are just as good, if not better. Play fair now. :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
zephead said:
Well last week or so, one of my iPod earbuds got crunched by the car door. I bought my iPod new in March, so would I have any problems getting replacement earbuds from Apple as long as I don't tell them about the car door incident? :D

They will want the old ones back. As the crunching will be obvious they will not replace them. I think you can buy new sets from Apple though...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
robbieduncan said:
They will want the old ones back. As the crunching will be obvious they will not replace them. I think you can buy new sets from Apple though...
Will Apple replace my earbuds, even if my Mini is out of warranty?

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Its been unclear, but besides apple saying they will, has actually anyone been charged for not sending in the old headphones?

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I've got brand new earbuds from my shuffle box that I never even opened...I'd sell them to anyone interested.

But yeah before I had this extra set, my girlfriends dog chewed hers up and we went to purchase new headphones at the store, but the only earbuds available were those that came with the remote. Cost us 40$...bummer.

turtlemh

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2005
What they do is they charge your credit card 14.95 and if you don't send the earphones back they will not take the charge off of your credit card. So I guess if you wanted new earphones you could just not send the old ones back. 15 bucks isn't bad.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
turtlemh said:
What they do is they charge your credit card 14.95 and if you don't send the earphones back they will not take the charge off of your credit card. So I guess if you wanted new earphones you could just not send the old ones back. 15 bucks isn't bad.
Or you can have my new pair for 15$ :)

turtlemh

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2005
I don't need them I got my replacements earphones from apple when mine died 4 months ago. Filled out the application and the next day they were at my house. Now thats what I call service, and free shipping to boot!..

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
turtlemh said:
I don't need them I got my replacements earphones from apple when mine died 4 months ago. Filled out the application and the next day they were at my house. Now thats what I call service, and free shipping to boot!..
That is mega awesome....wish I knew that when my gf's headphones were chewed up by the dog:mad:

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
robbieduncan said:
they didnt want mine back when they broke

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Ish said:
You mean even if you got new earbuds out of Apple by not telling them it was your fault you wouldn't have any problems with your conscience?
I would have absolutely no guilt on my conscience. None. Zero. Zilch.

But I have to recommend that you just go get some Sony's. They are much better than the iPod buds.

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
blaskillet4 said:
Its been unclear, but besides apple saying they will, has actually anyone been charged for not sending in the old headphones?

you get charged 19 bones for not sending back! its on the purchase thing

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
If you're remotely serious about music quality, you should ditch the supplied iPod earbuds at first chance. Really they are not good at all. I binned mine for some Sony EX71s and they were good for the price but too heavy on the bass. I keep them as backup now for my Etymotic ER6is which are another step up in quality and price (£75). In time, I might make it to some Shure E5Cs :eek:

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
19 dollars isnt a huge huge amount so i would go for it. i think u should be alright. i called apple with a broken iPod that was one year and 2 months old and they told me a i bought it 2 months earliar and i was like no i didnt and they were like yes... u did wink wink and i got a brand new one!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Certain people at the apple store will gladly give you a free pair of earbuds, you don't even need an excuse. But others, you may need to spend 10 minutes convincing them to give you them.

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
i can tell u tommarow when my earphones come

i just ordered the replacements

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Kingsly said:
does apple provide a return shipping package for the earbuds or do I have to find an envelope and send them back myself?

Yeah, I ordered some, and you have to reuse the envelope that they came in to send them back. Just rip off your mailing address and Apple's address will appear under it.

Ugh, but now I have to arrange a pickup. On top of that, the headphones I'm sending back are missing an earbud, and I'm afraid they're going to charge me :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.