Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
Hi,
I got a Black Friday deal where they can replace the battery or my iPhoneXr for £20.
That’s from iSmash in the U.K..
When I asked they told me after the replacement I will not be able to see anything under battery health.
What other issues come with battery that are not original?

My battery has 90% battery health at present so thinking if I should do it?

This is what they have in their Q&A:

Is iSmash an Apple authorised supplier?
Yes. Under Apple's Independent Repair Provider Program, iSmash is authorised to conduct out-of-warranty repair services on Apple devices using genuine Apple parts.
In addition, iSmash is able to offer alternative repair options using compatible Apple parts which have been rigorously tested to meet our strict quality standards, and which are all backed up with our iSmash Warranty.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
It is weird how you include the excerpt that Smash uses genuine apple parts, even though they dont.

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
It is weird how you include the excerpt that Smash uses genuine apple parts, even though they dont.
It’s indeed weird they have that statement on their FAQ… since they don’t really do it, at least with this particular phone’s battery

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
90% battery health means you definitely don’t need a new battery
Thanks for replying to this…
The battery lost 10% in 3 years. It still lasts all day with my use. And it’s still speedy enough (some hiccups here and there, not sure if it’s just the new iOS though).

If the phone continues to perform like this all the way down to 80%… and if the next 10% goes down at the same rate as the initial 10%, them I’d be super happy to keep this phone with the 90% battery for a bit longer.

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
Keep the battery. My iPhone X battery is 3 years old and hit the 79% level. It still works fine, all day charge and no glitches. I’ll be lucky to get another year out of it, time will tell. When I do have the battery replaced, I’ll opt for genuine Apple battery if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.