Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bj097

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
At the moment I am using iPhone 12 mini, the first thing is I DON'T PLAY any game, listen to any music, or watch any video with my iPhone AT ALL. I DON'T use bluetooth and map (i.e. location services) too.

However, I find that the battery drains so fast, I have to charge it once every day. I don't do too much texting. I probably only like to browse a few websites for a while every day. I cannot see the reason why it drains so quickly.

Do you recommend me replace the battery or get a newer iPhone e.g. 14 ? I personally don't need a faster chip or the most updated phone but battery is my only concern. I don't want to carry a powerbank around.

Is 12 mini known to have battery issue in general or could it be QC problem to a small amount of unlucky products?

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Charge once a day like at night or do you have to charge it midday to make it all day? Of course you could also very easily buy a 13 that is cheaper as it seems you are not looking for the latest greatest?!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Charging once a day (or more literally, once a night - while you sleep) would be expected even with fairly light use on a mini. What is the battery capacity? Settings > Battery > Battery Health > Maximum Capacity

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The mini has a small battery, which means you have to charge it more often. This in turn uses up the designed 500 cycles quicker.

A 6.1-inch iPhone 14 will require less charging and hold up better because the battery is larger.

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
The 12 mini doesn’t actually have a battery issue, however, the battery’s physical is smaller than in the the larger iPhones, so the capacity is less.

I charge my iPhone 12 mini once a day. It goes from 100% to near 10-15% during the day, but I usually watch 30-60 min videos, listen to music, and spend some time browsing the internet and Instagram each day, so I find it acceptable. I love that my mini is so small, and I’m willing to sacrifice battery life for it.

I’ve read the 13 mini battery is somewhat better, but not sure if the difference is worth getting it.

Reactions: Digger148

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The 12 Mini has the worst battery life of non-4.7-inch iPhones released since 2018. If battery life isn’t enough I’d recommend getting another iPhone. It shouldn’t necessarily be the newest, just one with a better battery life.

bj097

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
The 12 Mini has the worst battery life of non-4.7-inch iPhones released since 2018. If battery life isn’t enough I’d recommend getting another iPhone. It shouldn’t necessarily be the newest, just one with a better battery life.
Does 13 Mini have a much better battery?

bj097

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
First charging once a day is quite normal.
2nd the 12 mini is known for having subpar battery life.

If battery health in settings says about 80% it will help by replacing it. For sure its cheaper than spending money on a new phone
Charging once a day is normal but I am a really light user. In addition to what I have talked about my using habit, I think I only use my phone 1-2 hours a day in total. I don't even normally talk on the phone. That's why I am wondering if the battery could have quality problems.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Wouldn't pull the trigger on a 14 at this time unless it's a critical situation. In four months, the 14 will be cheaper, or might really like 15.

So, limp along, unless really like the Mini size, then get the 13 as it probably won't be around in four months.

ADD: don't think I saw where OP mentions when they got their phone? IF day-one, we're 2yrs 8mos in on that. Batteries do have a lifespan, even when babying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Charging once a day is normal but I am a really light user. In addition to what I have talked about my using habit, I think I only use my phone 1-2 hours a day in total. I don't even normally talk on the phone. That's why I am wondering if the battery could have quality problems.
Maybe it's me... but I don't see the problem?! Charging your phone once a day is completely fine to do I assume and you are not a heavy user so why spend money to upgrade?

For me these things are clear, if you want to upgrade because you want a new device and you can afford it then do it.
If you are like me and you use it for the more basic stuff and you don't care about having something new and shiny, then keep it till it starts to show real problems.

I not to long ago upgraded from an iPhone 8 to my now 13. It was awesome to have loads of better things but at the same time I was not so impressed that I would feel any need to upgrade every single year. (but then again I started my mobile phone life with something close to a mini fridge)

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
At the moment I am using iPhone 12 mini, the first thing is I DON'T PLAY any game, listen to any music, or watch any video with my iPhone AT ALL. I DON'T use bluetooth and map (i.e. location services) too.

However, I find that the battery drains so fast, I have to charge it once every day. I don't do too much texting. I probably only like to browse a few websites for a while every day. I cannot see the reason why it drains so quickly.

Do you recommend me replace the battery or get a newer iPhone e.g. 14 ? I personally don't need a faster chip or the most updated phone but battery is my only concern. I don't want to carry a powerbank around.

Is 12 mini known to have battery issue in general or could it be QC problem to a small amount of unlucky products?
One thing that will quickly drain an iPhone batt is the camera. It is important to get in the habit of turning the camera app off after taking a batch of photos; just click the right side button. Otherwise the camera app will stay live and eat battery.

That said, charging daily is normal. Fuggedaboutit.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
You find exact usage under screentime in settings.
Without that number and as already mentioned battery health This here is all speculation.

The 13 mini has a slight increase. But calling it much better is an overstatement. Maybe 1h SOT

Last edited:
Reactions: MacCheetah3

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Does 13 Mini have a much better battery?
According to this site it is better (see bottom of page). If that is much better, I don't know. I have a 13 mini and I'm happy with the battery life. I usually have 40 to 50 percent left when it's time to charge it. My screen time last ten days are just below three hours a day on an average. I have tried to save power via Settings (denying background activity, useless location services, and so on) and I also have Shortcuts to put it into low power mode overnight and in certain focuses.

Reactions: gregrose

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
My 13 mini was much better than my 12 mini ever was, plus you get the main camera from the 12 Pro as well.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Option DOOR #3: buy a Magsafe Battery by Apple

1 - 1.7x the battery size total
2 - you can buy more than 1 (I did!) and have unlimited battery life
3 - when you're in your car you can separate! and charge both doubling your charging speed

Downside: Hunchback of Notre Dame battery attached to your phone.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I have been using a 13 Mini since the 2021 launch day. The battery was amazingly good for the first year, but in recent months the battery life has noticeably declined, even though the battery health is still shown at 93%. Due to the small size (which I really love), the fact that this phone works far better than the previous 3 iPhones, I plan to keep it long term. I will pay for a new battery at the 2-year point, no matter what the battery health percentage says, and either before or after that point, I do plan to purchase a mag safe battery pack to supplement the built-in battery. In my case, I am mostly at a desk, so I have easy access to charge the battery when needed, throughout the day.

r_mack

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
Prince Edward Island, Canada
The 12 mini doesn’t actually have a battery issue, however, the battery’s physical is smaller than in the the larger iPhones, so the capacity is less.

I charge my iPhone 12 mini once a day. It goes from 100% to near 10-15% during the day, but I usually watch 30-60 min videos, listen to music, and spend some time browsing the internet and Instagram each day, so I find it acceptable. I love that my mini is so small, and I’m willing to sacrifice battery life for it.

I’ve read the 13 mini battery is somewhat better, but not sure if the difference is worth getting it.
It’s only about 15% better. I have a 12 mini and read up on the 13 mini real life battery tests, and the difference in battery life wasn’t a big deal.

bj097

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
It’s only about 15% better. I have a 12 mini and read up on the 13 mini real life battery tests, and the difference in battery life wasn’t a big deal.
Now I am really unsatisfied with the battery of my iPhone 12 mini !

It was charged to 96% at 8:00PM and after that I only made a couple of replies to a thread on a forum and then after 10 hours it's less than 10%!!!

I am hesitating if I should replace the battery or upgrade to a newer version of iPhone!

I bought the phone only in Dec 2021!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.