Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Why is the iWatch getting so much pub for something that already exists? I'd swear Apple invented something that the world has never heard of before.

Are you one of those people that say smartphones existed before the iphone, but neglect the mention their inherently unusable interfaces? Or that there were loads of MP3 players before the iPod, but none that allowed decent navigation through a large library.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
That would be great for fitness.
I hope there will be something like iglasses, lightweight, regular shaped, sunglasses , with the readings in a HUD display.
Just a lightweight, regular styled, read-only device, no voice commands or safari app, camera, etc. like google glasses.
Don' t want too look at the watch all the time when i am running or cycling.

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
Fitbit, Nike Fule and Up all do a couple things good invidivualy but each lack in other areas. If you were to combine all the features of those into one product and add the Apple magic dust then this will be very popular.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Please explain who a watch can take a blood pressure without determining blood flow...

Ultrasound Doppler effect/phase changes could measure blood flow speed. May be possible to get pressure from that.

(e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_echocardiography)

Or maybe you could just ping sound pulses off the arteries and measure their resonant frequencies?

Even the wrist-mounted BP meters with inflatable cuffs aren't particularly accurate.

But isn't this very much like email and text messaging? It's little more than an extension of people's growing incessant need to be connected by gathering unimportant trivia.

...but email and text are less likely to encourage people to bug their doctor over self-disagnosed imaginary problems (which some doctors will be happy to 'treat') or 'try this 1 weird trick for reducing your blood glucose level'.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I did a project on this in my Healthcare Quality Improvement class a few years ago. This stuff is actually pretty amazing.

Here's the FCC filing.

E-health.jpg

Really neat stuff! :D

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Watch around yourself, how many people use a mobile phone? Now, watch again and see how many people are fit or obsessed with health?

iWatch will not be like iPhone, pundits and wall street will again talk trash against Apple when the low volume sales numbers come in.

BTW, Amazon is into something revolutionary, those SDK are remarkable.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
FDA approval, what, can we eat the iWatch?

FDA = Food and Drug Administration. It's tasked with giving government approval for most things medical: medicine, procedures involving invasive products like stents, and devices, everything from scales to XRay machines to surgical gloves.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
What if the device is released as a beta device to developers much like Google Glass to hone in on the tech under the hood while it waits for FDA approval?

Might be a wise move if it promises too much and the tech has glitches. In this litigation prone world we live in, Apple IS the money bags of ALL money bags at the moment. Which ambulance chasing lawyer wouldn't drool over the chance to go after Apple?

...or go for a much less ambitious device for the first gen.

Last edited:

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Health tracking is not the next big thing.

There's a reason why those Fuelbands and Fitbits never caught on.

Because none of them are very good yet. I've been actively working on exercising and improving my health for about a year now, and I'm very interested in a wearable device that will help me track various health parameters. I'm very excited to see what Apple can come up with.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
Im guessing it will be dust and water proof, you should be able to take it to the pool. Also it gotta be able to take some beating and be easy to clean. I think it will come with removable straps like the gear fit. I dont think it will have a camera; A subpar camera on a watch is silly and Apple probably knows that. It should have a microphone for siri, dont know what a speaker would be good for but I hope Apple doesnt try to push us to take calls on a watch...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Because none of them are very good yet. I've been actively working on exercising and improving my health for about a year now, and I'm very interested in a wearable device that will help me track various health parameters. I'm very excited to see what Apple can come up with.

This.

If you make it dead simple to gather your information and have a device that prompts you (called "nudging") it's hugely effective at enabling people to make better decisions for themselves.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Why is the iWatch getting so much pub for something that already exists? I'd swear Apple invented something that the world has never heard of before.

Light bulbs existed before Edison, but he gets the credit because he made it viable unto ubiquitous.
Same principle.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

As the owner of a Nike Fuelband, Fitbit Force, and Garmin FR620 running watch I've done a lot of sport/fitness band research and monitoring the past couple of years. I'm not so sure anything like the discussed features of the "iWatch" does exist in any one existing current product.

Even still, Apple's fame of the recent decade+ is not for inventing novel products, but reinventing existing ones to make them more usable and integral into daily life. I owned many Palmphones, and considered a few Windows phones back in the day (late 90's early '00). Those are a joke compared to the original iPhone and certainly w/ iOS 2.0.

----------

Health tracking is not the next big thing.

There's a reason why those Fuelbands and Fitbits never caught on.

Never caught on? 2.7million units shipped in 1Q 2014. That's probably not as many Xbox and PS4s but it's hardly a "flop," sales figure.

Add in FDA approval making it a medical device for certain purposes, and yes, big sales ahead.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Why not make a new generation iPod Nano that can dock to a watch band? Not everyone wants a watch and not everyone wants a mp3 player. Apple had the right idea year's ago before they redesigned that device. All they had to do was make it sleeker, add these features and allow it to communicate with idevices. Apple already had the blueprint and they threw it away.

They didn't throw it away, they just had to evolve the technology and re-release it as a new product. Example: Newton -> iPad; Lisa -> Mac; and now iPod Nano -> iWatch.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
IDK about anyone else, but I find it uncomfortable to be sweating and wearing a watch at the same time... Getting sweat trapped around the wrist just isn't comfortable and it makes my watch gross... So the idea of intentionally getting my watch sweaty doesn't seem appealing.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Tim Cook: We have invented a new way to measure blood glucose levels with the iWatch!

Crowd: OMG! Yeah!

Tim: The iWatch will redefine luxury, starting at $1999!

Crowd: Silent...

Tim: But the iWatch will be free with your insurance!

Jim Cramer: BUY BUY BUY BOOOYAH!

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I would find it hard to believe an Apple wearable targeted at a mass market would measure blood glucose. I would love for it to happen, I just find it hard to believe.

My insurance company would love it to happen, too, I assume. They currently pay about $5,000 a year for my continuous glucose monitor just for supplies. The monitor itself was over $1,000 and they replace it every two years.

As a type 1 diabetic, it would be awesome to have my phone work with a wearable to measure glucose. I already have to carry a glucose meter, an insulin pump, and a CGM monitor in my pockets wherever I go (in addition to my phone and wallet). Anything to cut down on the amount of stuff I carry would be cool.

In December 2103 I switched to an insulin pump with bluetooth technology to wirelessly communicate with my glucose meter. That pump was available in other parts of the world for years but was held up by the FDA in the US due to safety concerns with the bluetooth being able to be hacked (which, for an insulin pump - could kill the user).

Innovation in medical devices here in the US can be held up for years by the FDA. Hopefully Apple has better luck with them than other companies have had.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
You can be sure they won't try to convince you. As always, they'll present the features and benefits, then let you decide if you're want to pay for one.

"you first have to convince people it’s so incredible that they want to wear it" -Tim Cook

I think that this is the key.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I bet the iWatch will be so revolutionary that it will even be able to make me an applicable Dr apt for my health issues, I bet the top tier watch even comes with credit monitoring. #JustSaying.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Apple is not stupid , it knows people who wear watches like preferred brands , and people who don't wear watches won't be wearing one. The iwatch will be a fitness bracelet. I'll bet my kidney on it.

Maybe you are right but i think that Apple has bigger plans for it. Tim Cook has already told that they need to convince people to wear it first, and obviously the message is targeted to people that doesn't wear anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.