Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
what do you mean 'rainbow effect'? :confused:

and which get iPods are you talking about. i think i've got a 3rd Gen iPod, i've never seen any 'rainbow effect'. :confused:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
The effect is really evident with the 5GB (1st generation) model iPod displays in high-lighting conditions, especially in outdoor sunlight.

Edit: Do an Altavista image search for the effect (and vary your search terms). There should be a pic there of the effect. http://images.altavista.com

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
Rainbow...

A light source, especially ambient light, infront and behind at the same time tends to cause the optical interference pattern....

Attachments

• iPod.pdf
    58.1 KB · Views: 544

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
applemacdude said:
can anyone post pics of their ipods with the rainbow effect so i can compare mine to yours? Thanks!

I have a 20GB 4G iPod, and the rainbow effect really isn't noticeable at all under normal lighting conditions...until you are wearing polarised sunglasses, and then the rainbow ripple through the display plastic is so severe you need to take your sunnies off to read the display! Sorry, don't have any pictures where my camera is wearing my Bolle's to prove it :)

Electric Boris

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2004
the wonderful world of Magic!!

Attachments

• Rainbow.jpg
    Rainbow.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 189

i_am_a_cow

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2001
One time I was wearing sunglasses and my iPod looked so bad, that I started yelling at people asking which one of my siblings broke it. They all thought I was crazy. Finally I took the glasses off... :)

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
EMKoper said:
A light source, especially ambient light, infront and behind at the same time tends to cause the optical interference pattern....
Phew... I thought I was the only one with a slightly fractured screen. I have a 3G 40GB model and I can see the same thing when I look at it at that angle.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
i don't get that at all on my 3G 15GB... then again, i've only had it for about 3 weeks.. (or is it 4 now?)
maybe as more pressure is put on it over time, it becomes more prominent?
i just barely managed to get the display to look a bit purple...

end of post #499,
reality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.