Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Thunderbolt, FireWire, and ExpressCard (and variants) are all vulnerable to DMA attacks.
Just because there has been an exploit discovered for USB does not make them any more secure.

Yup. Firewire in particular is a bad one. Bad enough that I compiled my kernel without Firewire support and blacklisted Firewire modules on Fedora.

fabrica64

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
I don't get it: does the "virus" reside on the USB device (such as a flash drive, external HDD or charger) or does it get copied into the computer's USB firmware? So if someone plugs an infected USB device into a computer, does removing the device remove the virus?

Basically it works this way:

1. A tampered USB disk contains invisible drive with a virus inside and the virus enter the system. Trying to clean the USB disk does not remove the virus nor the hidden drive

2. A tampered USB disk declares itself as a keyboard and/or a mouse to the OS, it then sends commands to the OS as if it were you

3. A combination of 1 and 2 where 2 instructs the OS to load a program in 1

4. A USB disk declares itself as a network interface and the OS elects it as the main network interface, then all traffic is logged and redirected to the main network interface, possibly injecting packets

A good OS (linux, for example) prevents 1, 2 will appear on your screen and, if you do not run as administrator, even injected commands cannot do much harm and 4 may be disabled if the OS does not automatically adds network interfaces and give them the capability to set DNS or to divert traffic

It seems that, as always, spreding viruses and the likes needs some sort of cooperation from the OS and/or the user...

----------

1. A tampered USB disk contains invisible drive with a virus inside and the virus enter the system. Trying to clean the USB disk does not remove the virus nor the hidden drive

2. A tampered USB disk declares itself as a keyboard and/or a mouse to the OS, it then sends commands to the OS as if it were you

4. A USB disk declares itself as a network interface and the OS elects it as the main network interface, then all traffic is logged and redirected to the main network interface, possibly injecting packets

A good OS (linux, for example) prevents 1, 2 will appear on your screen and, if you do not run as administrator, even injected commands cannot do much harm and 4 may be disabled if the OS does not automatically adds network interfaces and give them the capability to set DNS or to divert traffic

It seems that, as always, spreding viruses and the likes needs some sort of cooperation from the OS and/or the user...

And I would be much more worried by firmware in SSD, that can inject malware inside files, and backdoors inside microprocessors :)

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014

----------

And I would be much more worried by firmware in SSD, that can inject malware inside files, and backdoors inside microprocessors :)

Linux is actually very vulnerable to this due to X11's awful insecurity. There's no isolation between applications running on the same X server, so it is extremely easy to sniff keystrokes. If you run "xinput list" you will get a list of input devices, including the keyboard. Then run "xinput test [id of keyboard]" and you will now be able to see all keystrokes from the user, including root passwords, passwords entered for sudo, etc. This can be done as a normal, unprivileged user. More info: http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2011/04/linux-security-circus-on-gui-isolation.html

This makes it easy for an attack vector such as this to allow the attacker to monitor keystrokes. No root access or installation required. There's also a host of tricks that can be done by writing hidden files to take advantage of system scripts by passing the hidden file in as an option to the shell command run by the script. Some of those can be nasty.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Isn't this attack one of the projects outed by Edward Snowden? Sounds like something that NSA would cook up at least.

According to the docs Snowden released, the NSA had several USB exploits they used - based on the absolute trust of the USB connection functionality, I would have been very disappointed if they hadn't already been using this for years.

Course, USB was conceived when security like we need here wasn't thought of, FireWire was conceived around the same time and is probably just as open to attack. I wouldn't be surprised if Thunderbolt wasn't open as well, at this level, but we'll find out about that as time goes on.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Penetration-testing companies either randomly mail USB-sticks with malware to employees of their client or they "accidentally" lose a couple of them at the bus-station or the car-park in vicinity of the corporate building.

People usually try and see what's on the device and plug it in - bang, the malware infects the mark and installs a remote administration tool (RAT) that allows the pen-tester to control the PC of the employee.

I know of a case where one of the mailed USB-sticks (sent from a fake address) didn't reach the intended target and was routed to the central post office. The letter was opened and the post-office employee - charged with the task to find clues as to the sender of the letter - dutifully inserted the USB-stick in his PC.
Suddenly, the pen-testers found themselves browsing the PC of an employee of a company they didn't have a contract with....

I think it would be pretty naive at this point to believe that certain 3-letter acronym government agencies and/or their 3rd-party contractors who develop software for them didn't get the idea (firmware is the trojan) earlier.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Sounds to me that the whole was enforced by NSA into the original USB design. I've been always complaining Apple for not moving directly to USB when it said it had to give up its 30-pin connector, but with this news, it seems to be a wise decision now!

(Well, on a second thought, who knows whether this is another backup plan NSA enforced Apple into!)

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Penetration-testing companies either randomly mail USB-sticks with malware to employees of their client or they "accidentally" lose a couple of them at the bus-station or the car-park in vicinity of the corporate building.

People usually try and see what's on the device and plug it in - bang, the malware infects the mark and installs a remote administration tool (RAT) that allows the pen-tester to control the PC of the employee.

I know of a case where one of the mailed USB-sticks (sent from a fake address) didn't reach the intended target and was routed to the central post office. The letter was opened and the post-office employee - charged with the task to find clues as to the sender of the letter - dutifully inserted the USB-stick in his PC.
Suddenly, the pen-testers found themselves browsing the PC of an employee of a company they didn't have a contract with....

I think it would be pretty naive at this point to believe that certain 3-letter acronym government agencies and/or their 3rd-party contractors who develop software for them didn't get the idea (firmware is the trojan) earlier.

USBs were the carrier for Stuxnet too. Great attack vector because people just can't keep from plugging in a random USB to see what's on it. I know of a company that filled its USB ports full of epoxy to prevent that.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Interesting to say the least.

I wonder how many more "flaws" will come to light, and how many of them will be ascribed to sinister motives, e.g., the NSA.

they probably discovered this 10+ years ago. and they probably put the virus in every USB 3rd party device before it went out. and now they can spy on every single computer that uses these accessories. :(

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Gee, thanks "researchers" for REVEALING to all the criminals out there a good way to screw people's devices up. I mean researching vulnerabilities is all fine and good, but they shouldn't be announced to the general public until a FIX is available. Otherwise, they're only helping the "bad guys". Here, it's made clear there is no possible fix in sight and therefore shouting it to the world helps no one and may hurt many.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Gee, thanks "researchers" for REVEALING to all the criminals out there a good way to screw people's devices up. I mean researching vulnerabilities is all fine and good, but they shouldn't be announced to the general public until a FIX is available. Otherwise, they're only helping the "bad guys". Here, it's made clear there is no possible fix in sight and therefore shouting it to the world helps no one and may hurt many.

This has been a problem for a long time. Rubber Duckies have been for sale since 2010 that let you exploit it and the problem was known long before that.

Redbunyip

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2014
Could you connect the usb to vmware instead of the mac? When you plug it in it asks mac or windows. Or can it infect the computer before it gets to that point?

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
The military has actually banned USB devices for years now. I believe the ban started 4-5 years ago. There was some incident involving Chinese hackers, if I recall correctly.

Probably not a big risk for your average person. Just don't use random people's thumb drives.

We have banned the use of thumb drives. We still use USB connected mice and printers to name a few items. This article is definitely not good news.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
So, I'm guessing that this virus attack primarily hits the windows platform? Or are Macs actually affected in a big way with this one?
All my drives are used in-house by me and only me, so I think I'm safe. Hopefully.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's not NSA we should be worried about.

It's the companies who make the USB sticks, probably mostly in China.

Remember about six years ago, when it was discovered that a commonly used credit card payment terminal (made in China), had been modified before they were packaged up, and then installed at hundreds of stores in Europe?

These terminals had extra circuitry installed to skim the card numbers and PINs and transmit them to another gang in Pakistan. They got tens of millions of dollars before the scheme was figured out.

(Since they were sealed, the only non-destructive way to tell if your store had one, was to weigh it, as the modified units weighed about 3 ounces more.)

The same kind of so-called "supply chain" scheme could be done by a company selling cheap USB sticks.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
So, I'm guessing that this virus attack primarily hits the windows platform? Or are Macs actually affected in a big way with this one?
All my drives are used in-house by me and only me, so I think I'm safe. Hopefully.

It's not a virus; it's an exploit. Any platform can be a target depending on the payload used. Keystroke injection is a threat regardless of OS. The only ways to defend against it are to either keep physical security of your computer at all times, physically disable the USB ports, or disable them via software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.