Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
I'm wondring if I can resize the boot partition on an SSD that holds the boot volume without running into trouble .

Right now I have a 256 GB SSD in my cMP that has two partitions - one half for system/ boot, one half for some game files .

To avoid deleting the entire drive and then cloning back from a system backup , I was thinking I could just boot from a different system drive, increase the size of the system partition using Disc Utility , while maintaining the data on the secondary game files partitions.

I'm on 10.9.5 Mavericks .

Thoughts ?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
That depends how the partition map is laid out. It may or may not be possible, but there should be no negative side effects to letting Disk Utility try. If the partition map is laid out in a way that doesn't facilitate it, Disk Utility will just give an error and write no changes to disk. Manual intervention should make it possible in pretty much all cases too, but that requires knowing **** like the sectors of your drive that each partition should grow to.

Reactions: barmann
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.