Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Verdanice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Hi,

I'll try to keep this question simple:

I'm attempting to copy an image to an external hard drive using Disk Manager. No matter what I do - formatting the drive in various formats, restarting and trying again immediately after booting, closing all open applications - when I attempt to create the image using Restore, I get an error: "Restore Failure: An error (16) occurred while copying. (Resource busy)"

I've tried this on a couple different drives. I cannot seem to lose this 'busy' status, I don't know what's causing it. If the drive is mounted, essentially, it seems to be 'busy'.

Would anybody have any idea what's going on here? Would an equivalent to a Windows safe boot help, possibly? I don't know what's using the drive and making it 'busy', it's driving me nuts.

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

pw3

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
you still have the DMG mounted when trying to restore

I assume given the timing that you're trying to install the DMG file that Apple just published for Leopard. I had the same problem, and the solution was to Eject the disk image before trying to burn it or restore it to a disk partition, otherwise it is "busy" when you try to Restore it to a partition in Disk Utility to get the thing install-able.

felixrising

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
Australia
Here is a possible solution (worked great for me)

I couldn't do a restore of a .dmg file to an external disk, always failing with one of several errors... my research indicates that the PPC version of Disk Utility has a bug, but there is a work around on the command line:

I found the solution here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2009041216314856&mode=print
Code:
First, mount the .dmg file as a block device only:

hdid -nomount "/Volumes/Diotallevi/Clean Checkpoints/WDC Image.dmg"

Second, determine the block device of the image and destination:

diskutil list

Third, use dd with an appropriate buffer size to copy over the whole block image, including partition table and boot sector. Note that it is extremely important on some hardware to use a large block size; you can expect a 20x speedup over the case without blocksize parameter.

dd if=/dev/disk3 of=/dev/disk2 bs=131072

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.