Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wontonforevuh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
I have an 8gb first gen iPod touch. I tried putting it into restore mode by holding the wake/sleep and home buttons. Then I connected it and tried restoring it through itunes. Itunes began downloading the latest software version (2.2.1 i think). It started extracting and installing the software but then an error came up saying the restore failed.

Now when I try turning it on, I get the picture telling me to connect it to itunes. However, when I do that the picture remains and itunes doesn't detect my ipod touch anymore. In fact the computer doesn't seem to find it either. I went to My Computer and it can't be found by the computer. However, I know it is connected since the computer makes a sound when hardware is detected or removed.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
DFU also known as "forced" recovery mode is performed by turning off the iPod (with the sleep/wake button), and connecting it to your computer while holding down the Home button. If you can't turn off the iPod, reset it (holding sleep/wake and the Home button) until you see an Apple logo and keep holding down the Home button as you reconnect it to your Mac. iTunes will say its detected a device in recovery mode and then you can click the Restore button from the Summary window in iTunes.

If it's already in recovery mode, but still doesn't appear in iTunes, review the articles if using a PC, or if using a Mac.

wontonforevuh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Ok so I put it into DFU mode and it downloaded the updated firmware and began restoring the ipod touch. The same error came up:

Code:
The iPod could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21).

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Ok so I put it into DFU mode and it downloaded the updated firmware and began restoring the ipod touch. The same error came up:

Code:
The iPod could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21).

From Apple:

Error 21 and -34: These errors occur when security software interferes with the restore and update process. If you are using a PC, follow this article to resolve this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.