1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Restored iPod 4G, cant find AC adapter, any way I can bypass?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ReanimationLP, May 25, 2006.

1. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I restored my iPod 4th Gen, all I have is the USB cable, and the USB adapter got lost somewhere in the move. I know it made it back, but I cant find it anywhere. x.x; I dont own the Firewire cables, is there any way there is something I can maybe plug it into, anything to get it to finish updating the firmware/whatever the hell it does when you restore it? o.o'

2. macrumors 6502

unfortunately your best bet is to just go to an Apple store or best buy and use one of theirs.

3. macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Do you have USB 2 on any of your computers?

4. macrumors G4

Mord

all althlon 64 mobo's have usb2, charge it off that.

5. macrumors 601

eva01

this isn't about charging i believe.

and i have yet to find a way around finishing an update on an iPod that needs to then connect to AC power before it is finished updating. without going to the wall charger

6. macrumors 6502

the 4G iPods require you to plug it into the wall charger after restoring. I have no idea why but you can't use a computer. Just go to the apple store and they will gladly help.

7. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Heh, I was able to get it working.

I took it to a Radioshack in the mall I work at, and the guy there let me use some kind of 3rd party video docking station, and that worked perfectly.

I'm gonna end up buying a FW cable so I dont have to deal with this bulls*** every time, and plus then my iBook and my Powermac G4 only have USB 1.1.

8. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

That cable will not fix it unless that is what you need to connect it to the AC adapter. Only a dock that goes to wall power will allow the firmware to reflash after an update, IIRC.

9. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If you plug your iPod into a computer with Firewire while the machine is completely off, it will charge the iPod and the iPod will see it as only a charger.

10. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

If the machine is completely off, where does the power come from? :confused:

11. macrumors 6502a

Passante

Apple original equipment firewire bus provides power when the CPU is off and the computer is still plugged into the wall;)

12. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

:eek: That's very sweet. Laptops too, or just desktops? These computers really are as smart as they look.