Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
I've spent three days now trying to sort out my Boot Camp partition.

To get my fusion drive back to normal I have had to remove all partitions and lt diskutil in the recover mode to fix it.

When I tried to restore my TM backup it wouldnt do it and complained about not being able to create a recovery partition.

I then did a complete Restore OSX inline and after a while my machine had a clean install of Mavericks.

Next I rebooted into recovery mode and chose to restore from the TM backup. This seemed to be working. It said it would take nearly 7 hours to complete so I went to bed.

When I got back from work and pressed a key hoping to see my login screen, I sar the recover screen!

My hard drive doesn't appear to be bootable.

I thought having a TM backup was the answer to future problems. What is the point if it doesn't work.
I can see through diskutil that it must have put the files back and the used space seems about right, also I can see files through terminal.

Why won't it boot?

When it restored OSX from the internet it installed Mavericks. Should I have upgraded that first to El Capitan before resoting the TM Backup? I assumed the resptre from TM sould bring El Capitan back with it.

What can I do?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
When it restored OSX from the internet it installed Mavericks. Should I have upgraded that first to El Capitan before resoting the TM Backup? I assumed the resptre from TM sould bring El Capitan back with it.

Internet Recovery restores the version of OS X that originally was factory installed on your machine. That's the way it works. Time Machine does not overwrite system files which is why El Capitan was not restored. Upgrading to El Capitan first and then restoring the TM backup would probably have been a better choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.