Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsquareddragrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
I have an old iMac g3 w/ a 266 MHz PowerPC processor, 160MB of RAM, and a 6GB Harddrive. It is running OS X 10.2.8. I need to get rid of it, but I want to make sure it is cleared of all my data first. Maintaining functionality would be nice so that I can try to sell it. My problem is that I don't have the original install disks.

So...how can I can wipe the memory from my iMac and restore it to a usable condition w/o the install disks. Your help is appreciated.

Ratpack1961

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
When you say install discs, I'm assuming you mean the restore discs that came with the imac. Since its a 266 mhz model, it probably had OS 8 as a default system which wouldn't be very sellable unless the buyer is a hardcore mac user.

If you can find the OS 10.2 install disc, just reinstall the OS while formatting the drive, or buy another one off ebay. Otherwise I think your stuck with just clearing out the Application folders and making sure anything important in your private User folder is deleted (like in preferences).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.