Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
guys i just try out playing movies in iphone 6 i find that it look amazing but sadly when i play it on ipad the movie dont feel great as compare to iphone... i was wondering is it because of the retina hd display in iphone ...if it so do you guys think future ipad will have retina hd display same as iphone

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
No.

Unless you are playing 4K movies, a higher resolution screen will make no difference. The present Retina iPads can play 1080p movies at native resolution.

Are you talking about the iPhone 6, or 6+?

Either way, if the iPad's screen went from 2x2 retina to 3x3 retina (which is I think what Retina HD is) I expect the GPU would start to cry.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
guys i just try out playing movies in iphone 6 i find that it look amazing but sadly when i play it on ipad the movie dont feel great as compare to iphone... i was wondering is it because of the retina hd display in iphone ...if it so do you guys think future ipad will have retina hd display same as iphone

Well to be technical, I hope not. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus resolution is significantly lower than on either of the current iPads. But if you mean the display technology, then I would assume so.

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
i mean the display technology...i find it much sharper n crispy on the iphone 6

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I hope the display technology improves to be more inline with that of the iPhone 6/6+, however I wouldn't bet on it. Just remember the present iPad Mini screen...

No reason to assume it won't happen again. The iPad is not Apple's flagship.

Random Thought: It's interesting to think that the next iPad Air/Mini may be the only iOS devices to actually improve their real graphics performance this year, as the larger screens on the iPhone 6/6+ kill off all the improvement of the A8. (based off benchmarks)

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
u guys go download a movie n try compare it i am sure there is a diff

Ulisescm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Mexico
You think the movie looks better on the iPhone because the screen is smaller than the iPad and of course much more forgiving to video artifacts...

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2013
Well to be technical, I hope not. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus resolution is significantly lower than on either of the current iPads. But if you mean the display technology, then I would assume so.

Sharpness isn't determined by the total number of pixels but by the number of pixels per inch. By that measurement, the iPhone 6 Plus as well as the 6 are higher resolution than the iPad by a wide margin. The ppi of the iPad is 264, the ppi of the 6 is 326, the ppi of the 6 Plus is 401. So the OP probably isn't imagining things.

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
I posted this in another thread, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the iPad Air 2 (or maybe next year's 3 instead) go to a 2X Retina 1280x960 screen (2560x1920 actual pixels). It's a logical size in a lot of ways, and it brings the PPI in line with iPhones and the retina iPad mini (330 PPI specifically).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.