Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I haven't seen SSDs offered at 768 GB before. Biggest I've seen is 512.

As for 16 GB, you can already upgrade the RAM on current MBPs to 16 GB with memory from macsales.com. Only $161.99
I know, it doesn't make any sense :L

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Yes, $4,000 is a bit much, right now ... but the good thing for us non-rich folks is that with Apple now pushing SSD's so hard, the prices should fall even more quickly in the coming year or two.

So, maybe next year, I'll pick up that 1TB ssd for a few hundred bucks!

huh? Everyone is pushing ssd's, apple are using some of the worst ones at the highest possible prices, as with the ipad storage is where they make the 50% margins. How is it that they are driving prices down?:rolleyes:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
do you know how long it would take me to pimp my ass to afford the top of line model ? :D

Best get a head start....

blackadder1_1420704i-1.jpg

See you down at the docks!!

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
These have to be fake. Given apple's current pricing structure. The entry level laptop would be well over 2 grand. That is not gonna sell well.

surma884

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Hopefully they release Retina displays this year so when it is time for me to upgrade in the next 2-3 years Retina will be standard (meaning cheaper). :)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
hi future me who may read this (10 years from now) yes people actually paid $4.000 for a retina mac in 2012 :D

Last edited:

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Hopefully they release Retina displays this year so when it is time for me to upgrade in the next 2-3 years Retina will be standard (meaning cheaper). :)

Although it is not a Retina display, my 27" iMac is very clear. It would be interesting to see how a Retina display iMac would look.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Could be two SSDs

512+256

Maybe goodbye to the optical drive

that would be very unapple like. The optical drive being gone is an assumption already. putting in two hard drives would be more expensive than just putting in a custom manufactured 768gb

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Where are all the naysayers who said they would never offer two different MBP options?? I read a whole thread full of them just 3 days ago. :rolleyes:

omgitswes

Apr 23, 2012
I haven't seen SSDs offered at 768 GB before. Biggest I've seen is 512.

As for 16 GB, you can already upgrade the RAM on current MBPs to 16 GB with memory from macsales.com. Only $161.99

I haven't seen a 768, closest I've seen was 720. Newegg actually offers one up to 1tb.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Donnie: "Frank sees new slim MacBook with retina display and 768GB SSD."

Mrs. Farmer: "Now mark the line in the appropriate place."

FEAR ------------------------+LOVE

iMat77

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ticino, Switzerland
Sounds realistic to me

768 GB SSD. With SSD prices as they are here it seems the computer could cost as much. But then again, I hope the form factor is going to be a lot different (SSD allows for a thinner design) and, if the indication of a new USB Superdrive and a Thunderbolt to LAN connector are correct, then I expect the MBP to resemble a MBA "on a lot of steroids". Although I would have preferred a smaller SSD and an on board HDD...

Just to keep prices in the range of "affordable" and not in the range of "utterly expensive". Too bad. Retina is intriguing. Retina Cinema Display would be absolutely great.

But, this year, I don't plan any new Hardware, so it is irrelevant at the moment. I am just concerned because that price point would undermine the success of the machine and hence not help Apple's bottom line in the end.

Just a couple more hours and all the rumors and speculation are then irrelevant.

:)

I like that game though.

Anyway, give me Mountain Lion, new iWork suite, Aperture 4. In september give me an iPhone 5, iOS 6 and a new iPad. Then I'm sold. Next year? OSXI, and a new MBP with SSD at an acceptable price point and new processors.

TV? Not for me. TV is a device I keep for 5-7 years, so no need to put expensive hardware in there. Leave the AppleTV as an external device and I can upgrade more often...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.