Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Anyone here can recommend me a magnetic flap sleeve for the 2016 MBP 13 inch? Preferably constructed out of fabric. It seems those are very hard to find. I don't quite like zippers or velcro.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
After two months of being out, what is the definite word for FORM FITTING cases for the 15"?

I know the incase icon is definitely not an option for form fitting. How about the incase slim fit? Any acme made?

Rather not go with the Pack Smooch ones.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Acmemade are making one for the new 15", but it's not out until February. Wish they'd hurry, I love my old one!

Thats a bummer. From the 15 pages I read, it seems as though the "best" fitting cases are the harbor, incase slim sleeve, and pack and smooch? I wish u/Jan Utrecht would update with more impressions about the fit! Looking for a case that has no wiggle room inside.

groundcontrol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
Just received my Tomtoc sleeve and it fits perfectly for the 15" mbp.

5PS7Cm4.jpg

cqnWUm9.jpg

Spvix0i.jpg

Thanks for these photos @xtenglong. Which size is this - the 14" or a larger size? If the 14", is it super tight - do you have to stretch the sleeve to make it fit - or does it go in fairly easily? Thanks for any details you can share.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I didn't realise InCase were still advertising their Icon sleeves as being suitable for the new MBPs? I thought it was just a case of some retailers saying they were suitable. I wonder if they will update them to be a proper fit any time soon or if they want to shift some stock first...

I might have a spare matte black DBrand skin for a 15" TB MBP - one for top and bottom, with the Apple logo cutout if anybody is interested....

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I don't know whether to get a slip on case or a zippered one? Would the zippered ones really scratch?

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Anyone here have any experience with hardgraft MacBook sleeves? specifically this one....

5050-Classic-feat.jpg

I really like the color palette of their products. Their website claims this(and many others) are 'Made in Italy'. Can anyone confirm this? (Not a biggie, but for the price it better be true)

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: pazzekalle

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
I can't figure out InCase's product planning. They now show "new" sleeves for the 2016 MBP, but the details on that listing say they fit BOTH the new MBP and the older retina MBP. Which are two completely different sizes. It appears to me that they are passing off the old sleeve as a close-enough size for the new 2016 MBP. What's the deal? Are they going to make an actual sleeve for the new pros or what.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Originally had an iBlason Frosted Black case on but it took less than a day for me to dislike how bulky and heavy it made the 15" MBP feel. I went with a black carbon fiber skin from Slickwraps instead.

For my sleeve, I'm using a Booq Viper from a few years ago. Seems to be the perfect fit for the 2016 MBP (15"). I also received a Brenthaven Elliot sleeve but find it a little bulky.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 996
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,023
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 973
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 939
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 941
Last edited:
Reactions: Stradale and bartvk

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I can't figure out InCase's product planning. They now show "new" sleeves for the 2016 MBP, but the details on that listing say they fit BOTH the new MBP and the older retina MBP. Which are two completely different sizes. It appears to me that they are passing off the old sleeve as a close-enough size for the new 2016 MBP. What's the deal? Are they going to make an actual sleeve for the new pros or what.

I know - I find it dishonest. They have banners on their website stating they have cases for the new TBMBPs which are in fact just cases for the prior models. They clearly screwed up their production timings here...

Reactions: ascender

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
Originally had an iBlason Frosted Black case on but it took less than a day for me to dislike how bulky and heavy it made the 15" MBP feel. I went with a black carbon fiber skin from Slickwraps instead.

For my sleeve, I'm using a Booq Viper from a few years ago. Seems to be the perfect fit for the 2016 MBP (15"). I also received a Brenthaven Elliot sleeve but find it a little bulky.

very nice, regarding the skin, is it easy to remove? and when you do remove it, does it leave any residual on the laptop? i know you havent yet obviously, just wonder if you had experience from them.

thanks

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Incase is showing a photo of the new 2016 Macbook Pro as their banner photo, so does the slim sleeve fit the new one? They have "New" listed above the products so it must be for the new 2016 models.

edit: Oh I see, they are saying it works for both 2015 & 2016 so if that's the case it's going to be too big for the 2016 version.
[doublepost=1483816512][/doublepost]
I bought this Pack & Smooch years ago for the first MBA 13", Glad I hung onto it. I will be traveling with it today.

View attachment 679747 View attachment 679748 View attachment 679749 View attachment 679750
Do the metal buttons or closures on the Pack & Smooch interfere with the electronics of the Macbook?

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Haven't seen any posts here about them, but I got my RadTech RadSleeve and it's a perfect fit for the 13", Love it. However all it offers is dust and scratch protection, but then again I take care of my things so I like putting a thin laptop in a thin case. My only wish was that they gave option to slide in portrait mode instead of landscape only. Not a big deal. The Waterfield sleeves allow selection but have an annoying foam padding at one end of the inside, which seems completely pointless, but they refuse to not put it in there.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
very nice, regarding the skin, is it easy to remove? and when you do remove it, does it leave any residual on the laptop? i know you havent yet obviously, just wonder if you had experience from them.

thanks

I've actually removed it a few times to get it to fit better, and from what I can tell it won't leave any residue. It uses a 3M adhesive and the install didn't require a heat gun. The install was actually a lot easier than I thought!

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Haven't seen any posts here about them, but I got my RadTech RadSleeve and it's a perfect fit for the 13", Love it. However all it offers is dust and scratch protection, but then again I take care of my things so I like putting a thin laptop in a thin case. My only wish was that they gave option to slide in portrait mode instead of landscape only. Not a big deal. The Waterfield sleeves allow selection but have an annoying foam padding at one end of the inside, which seems completely pointless, but they refuse to not put it in there.
I bought the WaterField in portrait. The foam padding is so when it's in a bag it has some cushion for when you set your bag down. It was probably great when MacBooks were an inch thick but with how thin they are now, that thin strip of foam slides around. Not sure it would actually work. It's an okay sleeve for what it is--scratch resistance, but is a real pain to put the laptop in and out of.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
So I ordered a pack and smooch 12/18 and it found it's way into the states yesterday and is in NY. I was starting to get a little worried but I had the tracking number in deliveries and it picked it up when it entered the states. We'll see how it goes but really like the look of these.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I bought the WaterField in portrait. The foam padding is so when it's in a bag it has some cushion for when you set your bag down. It was probably great when MacBooks were an inch thick but with how thin they are now, that thin strip of foam slides around. Not sure it would actually work. It's an okay sleeve for what it is--scratch resistance, but is a real pain to put the laptop in and out of.

Yeah, I emailed them and asked why they still put foam in for a laptop that's thinner than the foam, and they gave me the usual "for protection" kinda reply... sadly the foam doesn't provide much aside from an eyesore in my opinion. Either way, the Radtech sleeves are a much much better option for me, and the laptop is easier to put in and out of much easier. As we've both said, protection is minimal. These laptop sleeves are for people who actually exercise a bit of caution with their laptops, not just throw them into a big back with 10 other things.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Incase is showing a photo of the new 2016 Macbook Pro as their banner photo, so does the slim sleeve fit the new one? They have "New" listed above the products so it must be for the new 2016 models.

edit: Oh I see, they are saying it works for both 2015 & 2016 so if that's the case it's going to be too big for the 2016 version.
[doublepost=1483816512][/doublepost]
Do the metal buttons or closures on the Pack & Smooch interfere with the electronics of the Macbook?

I posted a mini-review of the Pack & Smooch sleeve earlier in the thread as follows:

Pros

1. Fit is perfect as the case was actually made for the TBMBP line
  2. The protection offered is strong as wool is naturally shock absorbent, water repellent and insulating - P&S claims the latter helps conserve battery life, but this remains to be seen
  3. The construction is excellent. The merino wool felt is thick and finely stitched, whilst the authentic leather grip is a pleasure to handle
  4. It's a very attractive case that compliments the SG colour especially well
  5. The front pocket is useful for cables and screen cloths etc and is well protected from the main compartment by a thick layer of felt. You could easily add an iPad mini to this compartment but I wouldn't recommend this due to the potential stress it could place on the laptop.
  6. You can charge you laptop whilst it's in the case - this is very useful
  7. The magnetic snap buttons prevent excess force being applied to your laptop when you button up the sleeve

Cons

1. I have my reservations as to how well the wool will hold up over time - this case will start to look awful if it bobbles, frays and warps like an old jumper. Given the price of this sleeve and the decrease in protection such wear would cause, this could be a considerable downside to the case.
  2. The case has reinforced edges on the left and right sides of the case which will suit those who place the sleeve in a bag vertically. However the bottom of the sleeve does not have this edging and so if you use a briefcase/satchel style bag like I do, you won't have that added layer of protection. There is some reinforcement with the leather grip but the patch is not particularly thick.

I still have no reservations in recommending this sleeve and also note that the leather hand grip is starting to age beautifully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.