Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrahimi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
My wife's rMBP has this issue quite noticeably. Given she makes her living as a graphic designer, this is not just an annoyance.

Our visit to the Genius Bar resulted in a diagnostic test that showed that the display was "behaving normally" (which, of course, a diagnostic software with no external sensor would be able to saw) and though our Genius "knows what the Internet says" (we were taking an agreeable stance and hadn't even mentioned any expectations) they were not replacing these machines because we'd just get another of the same part.

His advice? "Change your workflow."

If this showed up in a matter of hours you could change your workflow. It shows up in a matter of minutes though. Most of the applications I use have static portions. Eclipse, Xcode, Photoshop, iPhoto, Safari, ... Switching from one full screen app to another and I can still see both.

The workflow change I can see is use an app, wait 30 minutes, then switch to another app or don't on any single app for more than a few minutes (just kidding, those is not feasible)

I returned my 3rd rMBP for refund. My suggestion would be ask for a full replacement (maybe you win the Samsung lottery), get a non-retina MBP or ask for a refund altogether since the machine is defective and they admit there is no fix. If they don't refund it, there's always the matter of credit card company protecting their customers. Amex is pretty good with these things and I think you get 90 days of protection. Apple can take the machine and refund you or they can just not get paid by Amex (similarly for Visa and MC).

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
I don't think 5 minutes (of static image) is long enough for it to be considered 'normal'.

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
Not everyone fell for the irresistible. It's been five years and even with memory and disk upgrades my MBP was slow. Five years sounds like a reasonable timeframe to upgrade for me. I assumed Retina has been tested well enough with iPad and iPhone and just making it bigger wouldn't be this troubling. Of course I was wrong.

I was in your shoes exactly. My 07 Santa Rosa MBP was just becoming a liability to my business (I'm self employed). It was very much time to upgrade. Since I had bought the top of the line Apple product and had been happy with it, I decided to follow the same path this time. The lesson I learned in '07 was you get what you pay for. The lesson in '12... :rolleyes:

If it's not graphics design and you're not getting an after-shadow after every window movement, it's hardly something to whine about. Then again, people will bitch and complain about anything these days.

I work in sensitive information that I am professionally obligated to protect. So no, the ability to read ghosted text on the screen after I've closed a window, or across the gray matte of the login screen is not just something to bitch about.

VB7

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I'm 3 days into my rMBP and haven't got ghosting issues but the screen has a dirty yellow tinge to it in the mid to lower section, its very evident when looking at white heavy pages like google.

Anyone else have the same?

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I'm 3 days into my rMBP and haven't got ghosting issues but the screen has a dirty yellow tinge to it in the mid to lower section, its very evident when looking at white heavy pages like google.

Anyone else have the same?

Mine has a red glow on the right upper corner of the screen.

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 150

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
My MacBook Retina 2.3 16GB has been the best thing I have ever bought. Have to say though, the iMac is pretty magic as well. Its mid 2010, but man it does not skip a beat, and still looks like sex. Does everything. Love it.

I got a samsung screen and drive, and the most noticeable thing my retina did when I bought it? It installed Office 2011 in under a minute.. no bull####!

----------

Mine has a red glow on the right upper corner of the screen.

Wow. Your ghosting is really bad. There is a faint picture of a dude with a camera.

----------

I was in your shoes exactly. My 07 Santa Rosa MBP was just becoming a liability to my business (I'm self employed). It was very much time to upgrade. Since I had bought the top of the line Apple product and had been happy with it, I decided to follow the same path this time. The lesson I learned in '07 was you get what you pay for. The lesson in '12... :rolleyes:

I work in sensitive information that I am professionally obligated to protect. So no, the ability to read ghosted text on the screen after I've closed a window, or across the gray matte of the login screen is not just something to bitch about.

Unless your working for the president, I really dont think there is an issue, but hey you never know.

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Yes, many people going through up to 7 displays to get a working Samsung are all crazy. My three defective Retinas are also my imagination running wild.

I shouldn't bother answering trolls. If you are enjoying the paragon of perfection why would you be showing up here telling us we are lying? Yes, you are trolling, and nice to see you troll in every forum. You probably still deny antennagate too or any defect with any Apple product.
Did I say you were crazy? Or was I questioning your resale value scaremongering?

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a troll.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
And, as usual, rather than admit a problem, or perform a recall, or even notify customers that an issue exisits, they will keep selling faulty units in the hope the issue doesnt get noticed until the warrenty period expires (just like they did with the TimeCapsule PSU issue, the Nviida MacBook Pro GPU issue or any of the screen issues on IOS devices or iMacs)

Apple, ****** build quality, low product testing, all wrapped up in a shiney alimunium and glass front end to make it FEEL like quality,

So as far as i can tell apples build quality stops at the case, the internals are cheap ass, badly manufactured crap, screens especially bad, either yellowing from glue, or yellowing from environmental dust because the unit isn't sealed properly

(im not an apple hater, i love my iMac and my MacBook pro, but i wish i didn't HAVE to have them replaced every 8 months under warranty/apple care to have a functioning machine when my 6 year old ****** works dell STILL RUNS FINE and has been through far more)

sahjin11

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Is there any way on knowing or finding out which display the machine has before buying? i'm planning to buy one of these soon and this news has dampened my mood a little...

Can anything be derived from the model number etc or is it only possible to find out via the terminal command?

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Is there any way on knowing or finding out which display the machine has before buying? i'm planning to buy one of these soon and this news has dampened my mood a little...

Can anything be derived from the model number etc or is it only possible to find out via the terminal command?

Don't buy it yet. If you do, welcome to the club.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Smells like the earlier white MacBook cracked palm rest issue. They never acknowledged it was a design flaw.

Now it's same here. A manufacturing flaw of a larger scale, and they start the damage control, saying it's "normal". Hmm...

Oh dear Apple. Yet again your QA seems to b brought into question. Maybe the users are 'looking at' the screen the wrong way?? Silly people dont you know Apple is always right and we are all stupid! 2000 bucks plus in a premium notebook and Apple is saying its normal, yet replacing MBP's left right and centre!!! LOL!:eek:

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
Oh dear Apple. Yet again your QA seems to b brought into question. Maybe the users are 'looking at' the screen the wrong way?? Silly people dont you know Apple is always right and we are all stupid! 2000 bucks plus in a premium notebook and Apple is saying its normal, yet replacing MBP's left right and centre!!! LOL!:eek:

This^

My cheap Dell 20" flat screen I paid $120 has no ghosting.

this is not normal....with what they charge for the rMBP this should not happen

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
And, as usual, rather than admit a problem, or perform a recall, or even notify customers that an issue exisits, they will keep selling faulty units in the hope the issue doesnt get noticed until the warrenty period expires (just like they did with the TimeCapsule PSU issue, the Nviida MacBook Pro GPU issue or any of the screen issues on IOS devices or iMacs)

Apple, ****** build quality, low product testing, all wrapped up in a shiney alimunium and glass front end to make it FEEL like quality,

So as far as i can tell apples build quality stops at the case, the internals are cheap ass, badly manufactured crap, screens especially bad, either yellowing from glue, or yellowing from environmental dust because the unit isn't sealed properly

(im not an apple hater, i love my iMac and my MacBook pro, but i wish i didn't HAVE to have them replaced every 8 months under warranty/apple care to have a functioning machine when my 6 year old ****** works dell STILL RUNS FINE and has been through far more)

I hear ya! No ore imac for me since a policy of dishonesty is now on place at apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.