Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inaka

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010

Attachments

• tb1.jpg
    tb1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
  • tb2.jpg
    tb2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 180
  • tb3.jpg
    tb3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 167
  • tb4.jpg
    tb4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138
  • tb5.jpg
    tb5.jpg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 166

Bmoreguy03

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2011
Rocky Mount NC
I just want to personally thank everyone

That took the time out to help us with our drawings...Thank you this is why I love forums a great community

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
I already created Detroit Tiger ones earlier in the thread. :D

Was hoping for a few different variations, like has been done for a few of the other teams on here. If you can't, no biggie. Appreciate the ones you made.

Thanks!

skedssays

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
So you guys can make your own wallpapers, I have provided a complete guide on what I've been doing.

1. You will need a version of Photoshop. I have been using the CS6 beta found here:http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/photoshopcs6.html
It's free and works well.
2. After launching, drag one of the base wallpapers into the open space.

http://www.box.com/s/3cbf040cdd8f97154c5d
http://www.box.com/s/6d0145844366b9de7663

I've re-uploaded these to Box for optimal quality downloads.
3. Next, select the logo you'd like from wherever you've found it. I prefer Google images, but any image around 1000 x 1000 will do alright. Drag that into a new tab near the top, to the left of the base wallpaper.
4. Now, more than likely, you will have to extract the image from its original background. Selecting the "Magnetic Lasso" (third tool down from the toolbar on the far left, right click and third tool down again), trace around the logo.
5. Hit the "Refine Edge" button above the tab bar, below the "Adobe Photoshop CS6" name. Now, you can trace over the areas that may have been lost in the selection. If you need, you can change the background color by selecting one from the "View" drop down menu. When finished, hit OK.
6. Now, select the "Move Tool" (first tool in the tool bar on the left), and drag it into the first tab with the base wallpaper. Don't worry about placement yet. If the image is too big, undo with command/control Z, and go back to the tab with the logo. Choose the Scale tool (Edit > Transform > Scale from the application's drop-down menus) and stretch any corner while holding shift to the appropriate size. Hit enter when you are done. If the image is too small you can use the above method, but i would strongly recommend finding a larger image.
7. Once you have the right size logo on the base wallpaper, select the base layer in the list of layers on the left (it should be named "Background"). Now, choose the "Rectangular Marquee Tool" (second tool down in the toolbar). Drag it over the entire image, selecting the outside edge of the whole wallpaper. Then, click on the logo layer (probably named "Layer 1") from the Layers list. Go to Layer > Align Layers To Selection > Vertical Centers from the top toolbar. Similarly, go to Layer > Align Layers To Selection > Horizontal Centers . You logo should now be centered on the background.
8. Right click anywhere on the image and "Deselect". Double click the logo layer in the list. Choose "Overlay" from the "Blend Mode" selection menu at the top that originally was set to "Original".
9. Now to export choose File > Save As from the top tool bar. Select where you want to save, and choose the format. I prefer PNG, but JPEG works OK too. After that the standard options will look great.
10. Find a veritable host to upload to and post the greatness here!

These instructions are spot-on, helped me out and I have never really touched Photoshop.

radar228

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
I wonder if you could help me with a Seattle Sonics on yellow or green wood background, like the attached pictures? I love your stuff, thanks.

Also thanks to Megagator, your instructions were helpful.

32-04191-J.jpg

46-36738-J.jpg

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
So you guys can make your own wallpapers, I have provided a complete guide on what I've been doing.

1. You will need a version of Photoshop. I have been using the CS6 beta found here:http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/photoshopcs6.html
It's free and works well.
2. After launching, drag one of the base wallpapers into the open space.

http://www.box.com/s/3cbf040cdd8f97154c5d
http://www.box.com/s/6d0145844366b9de7663

I've re-uploaded these to Box for optimal quality downloads.
3. Next, select the logo you'd like from wherever you've found it. I prefer Google images, but any image around 1000 x 1000 will do alright. Drag that into a new tab near the top, to the left of the base wallpaper.
4. Now, more than likely, you will have to extract the image from its original background. Selecting the "Magnetic Lasso" (third tool down from the toolbar on the far left, right click and third tool down again), trace around the logo.
5. Hit the "Refine Edge" button above the tab bar, below the "Adobe Photoshop CS6" name. Now, you can trace over the areas that may have been lost in the selection. If you need, you can change the background color by selecting one from the "View" drop down menu. When finished, hit OK.
6. Now, select the "Move Tool" (first tool in the tool bar on the left), and drag it into the first tab with the base wallpaper. Don't worry about placement yet. If the image is too big, undo with command/control Z, and go back to the tab with the logo. Choose the Scale tool (Edit > Transform > Scale from the application's drop-down menus) and stretch any corner while holding shift to the appropriate size. Hit enter when you are done. If the image is too small you can use the above method, but i would strongly recommend finding a larger image.
7. Once you have the right size logo on the base wallpaper, select the base layer in the list of layers on the left (it should be named "Background"). Now, choose the "Rectangular Marquee Tool" (second tool down in the toolbar). Drag it over the entire image, selecting the outside edge of the whole wallpaper. Then, click on the logo layer (probably named "Layer 1") from the Layers list. Go to Layer > Align Layers To Selection > Vertical Centers from the top toolbar. Similarly, go to Layer > Align Layers To Selection > Horizontal Centers . You logo should now be centered on the background.
8. Right click anywhere on the image and "Deselect". Double click the logo layer in the list. Choose "Overlay" from the "Blend Mode" selection menu at the top that originally was set to "Original".
9. Now to export choose File > Save As from the top tool bar. Select where you want to save, and choose the format. I prefer PNG, but JPEG works OK too. After that the standard options will look great.
10. Find a veritable host to upload to and post the greatness here!

Thanks a ton for the tutorial, I had a little experience with Photoshop cause my wife uses it for pics, but this really helped. Here is my contribution for my fellow Trojan fans...

Can anyone help in regards to how to make stripes in the background with the logo on top like these. Props to inaka, they look awesome!

I can't figure out how to do it without the stripes showing thru. Any help would be appreciated. See my example...

----------

BTW, I found it much easier to use the magic wand instead of the Lasso. If it won't trace the whole logo, you can hold down shift and keep clicking on the each piece that you need. I'm not sure how it works, but it's almost like it converts it to a vector file which can be convenient.

Thanks again for taking the time for the tutorial, it really helped! :)

inaka

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
Can anyone help in regards to how to make stripes in the background with the logo on top like these. Props to inaka, they look awesome!

Basically, it's really easy.

1. You just create a new layer in Photoshop and draw the pattern you want.
(Use the square select tool to select areas, then fill in with the color you want.)
When you are done, you will see a result that looks like the first attachment.

2. Then you create another layer and overlay the logo you want.

3. Select the stripe layer, and change the opacity to about 50% or so.
If you leave it as-is, it will look like the second example.

4. Lastly, if you want both layers to have the same transparent look, with the logo "on top", then just paste the logo onto the same layer as the stripes at 100% opacity, and then change that opacity from 100% to 50% or so.

That gives you the last example attached here.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 163

1m4tr

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
Inaka, you're great. A credit to this forum. Any chance you could make one for the University of Illinois using the Chief logo? And one for UNC Tar Heels?

Thanks in advance.

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
Basically, it's really easy.

1. You just create a new layer in Photoshop and draw the pattern you want.
(Use the square select tool to select areas, then fill in with the color you want.)
When you are done, you will see a result that looks like the first attachment.

2. Then you create another layer and overlay the logo you want.

3. Select the stripe layer, and change the opacity to about 50% or so.
If you leave it as-is, it will look like the second example.

4. Lastly, if you want both layers to have the same transparent look, with the logo "on top", then just paste the logo onto the same layer as the stripes at 100% opacity, and then change that opacity from 100% to 50% or so.

That gives you the last example attached here.

Enjoy!

Thank you for your response! Great help!

inaka

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010

Attachments

• cap5.jpg
    cap5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • cap4.jpg
    cap4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147
  • cap3.jpg
    cap3.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 164
  • cap2.jpg
    cap2.jpg
    975.8 KB · Views: 163
  • cap1.jpg
    cap1.jpg
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 125

inaka

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
Inaka, you're great. A credit to this forum. Any chance you could make one for the University of Illinois using the Chief logo? And one for UNC Tar Heels?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, man.

I could have sworn I already did the Chief logo earlier, but just in case, here's a new one I made for the Chief and UNC. Enjoy.

Attachments

• il1.jpg
    il1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,322
  • il2.jpg
    il2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,372
  • nc1.jpg
    nc1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 409
  • nc2.jpg
    nc2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 374
  • nc3.jpg
    nc3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,042

1m4tr

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks, man.

I could have sworn I already did the Chief logo earlier, but just in case, here's a new one I made for the Chief and UNC. Enjoy.

Those are awesome. Thank you so so much. Inaka you rock!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.