Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Since M2 didn’t make the splash at Apple’s March event that I initially thought it would, some recent rumors have caused me to re-speculate on a future product roadmap. Here goes:

Will there be an iPad Studio? Gurman alluded to Apple’s interest in larger than 12.9” iPads awhile back. But that seems like a truly pro-level device. The “studio” branding might make a cross over to the iPad line-up as a bridge between the Air & Pro like does now for the Mac. What would be differentiators there? Of course, regardless of whether the studio makes an entrance there or not, Apple needs to make iPadOS a lot more functional than it is now.

Speaking of crossing over, the 13” MacBook Pro is in an odd spot, as we all know. Well, no worry, the recent rumor is that Apple might nix the “Pro” moniker on this notebook with its next update.

Could this 13-inch MacBook sit in a similar entry-level position as the regular iPad sits in that line-up? Easier to sell?

For the sake of argument, Apple replaces the existing 13” MacBook Air in the line-up with this “new” 13” MacBook Pro incarnate in the same form factor as before, now just a regular ‘ol 13” MacBook — replete with a regular function row of keys in place of the Touch Bar, omitting the “MacBook” label under the display, a 1080p FaceTime cam (because, you know, 2022), and add MagSafe. Why not? $999? Could it have M2 or would it stick with M1? This might be the confusion that Kuo's talking about with his tweet that new MacBook still has an M1.

New sleek & colorful MacBook Air with M2 chips makes their debut later this year, slotting in around $1,199 or $1,299. Basically the MacBook Air & 13” MacBook Pro would be switching places.

For symmetry, here’s Apple’s product tiers:
  • Tablets
    • iPad
    • iPad Air
    • iPad Pro
  • Notebooks
    • MacBook
    • MacBook Air
    • MacBook Pro
  • Desktops
    • Mac mini
    • iMac
    • Mac Studio
    • Mac Pro
Further down the road:
  • 15” MacBook Studio with M2, HDMI, and SD-card slot in a slimmer profile than a MacBook Pro? Apple needs this device. There is a market for it.
  • 12.9” iPad Studio? Hmmm maybe not.
Fun to ponder nonetheless. What do you think?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Apple needs to drop the 13" MBP and just have two sizes or MacBook Airs (or call them MacBooks) and two sizes of MacBook Pros.
I think Apple is just selling out old components as in the housing and screen when it comes to the 13” MacBook Pro. It’s going away soon because there’s no way they’re keeping that. It deserves the Pro moniker about as much as the Intel version it replaced. I think it and the current MacBook Air will be replaced with a newer “MacBook”. It will have M2 and be similar to the MacBook Air. At least that would be my prediction because it makes the most sense.

Reactions: DHagan4755

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I think Apple is just selling out old components as in the housing and screen when it comes to the 13” MacBook Pro. It’s going away soon because there’s no way they’re keeping that. It deserves the Pro moniker about as much as the Intel version it replaced. I think it and the current MacBook Air will be replaced with a newer “MacBook”. It will have M2 and be similar to the MacBook Air. At least that would be my prediction because it makes the most sense.
While I agree that makes the most sense, Gurman, Kuo et al talk about the 13" MacBook Pro sticking around.

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
I think Apple likes to have a low end Pro around for an easy upsell. But it's interesting that Apple has created this 3rd tier of labeling, even though right now "studio" means the most powerful Mac out. But that branding seems just right for a 13" MBP... maybe expanded to 14". The 13" Pro always seemed like a separate product line to the 15", but now with the performance parity in the 14" and 16". So I suspect the 13" Pro will morph into something mid range.

It's weird that the high end macs that sell the least get different sizes and variations, but the consumer macs gets so few options. I understand the simplicity, but offering different sizes can't be that hard to get. I thought the 11" and 13.3" Airs made a lot of sense, one for portability and one for battery life.

I wonder if Apple will keep a Mac around with the M1 chip at some entry level price forever, like the iPad and iPhone SE. Could they push lower than $1000? It seems a very Apple thing to sell the current Air with no changes for the next 5+ years at a previously unheard of price. Just like the pre-Retina Air stuck around forever. And that will be where the Air branding goes to die.

Then a MacBook with a fresh design, better screen and updated cpus at $1200. The 13" Pro beefs up a little and becomes a $1500 option. So there are Macs for every budget and wants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.