Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Keep it, you can always but a new computer later. The newer Apple products aren't meant to last that long anyway. Just enjoy it now. Mines great (but I must confess I ordered 4GB).

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
I got the higher-end 13" with 1.86 2gb ram and 256 and was contemplating on trying to return it and getting the "ultimate" but being a light user I felt there was no need and that my $200 and change and possibly a restock fee could be better spent else where. Like my new pair of zigtechs :)

Mac Composer

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I'm pondering this as well. I got the 11 as a Christmas gift. I would have gone with the 4G of RAM had I made the purchase, but my spouse did. So, now I have to decide whether the extra RAM is worth his annoyance ;) and the cost. I don't do anything beyond office applications, web browsing, and some light photo work, so I think 2 will be fine. There is just something about the idea of 4... ;)
If you want the 4GB, then tell him. All guys want to do at Christmas is to make our wives happy. And we're basically idiots, we always buy the wrong color, size, whatever....
It'll be much better to discuss this now and get what you want, than to have 2 GB not be enough in the future. Then he'll really be in the doghouse.

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
If you really want the 4GB version, I would try going to the store again to talk with a manager.

I bought the latest Mac Mini this summer and then about 3 weeks later I decided I wanted the server model instead. Even though it was outside of the standard 14 day return policy, I was able to exchange it for the server model and was not charged a restocking fee. I never brought up the restocking fee and they didn't mention it - maybe because I was upgrading to a model that cost a few hundred dollars more.

So I would say give it a try again, it can't hurt. Are there any accessories or other items you are looking to purchase at the Apple store? Perhaps you could ask them to waive the fee if you also agree to buy another item to increase the whole sale. Of course, this would only really work if you already were planning on purchasing the extra item.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I got the higher-end 13" with 1.86 2gb ram and 256 and was contemplating on trying to return it and getting the "ultimate" but being a light user I felt there was no need and that my $200 and change and possibly a restock fee could be better spent else where. Like my new pair of zigtechs :)
I agree with you. I bought the 13 inch Ultimate MBA only because I absolutely had to have 4GB of RAM in order to run Windows apps in VMware Fusion's Unity mode. I had learned the hard way that 2GB is not enough when I tried the same setup on an MBP with only 2GB of RAM. Were it not for my Windows requirements, I am sure the 2GB model would have been just fine and I would have had to take a hard look at paying $200 for a marginal CPU speed jump and an extra 2GB of RAM.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I'd take the 10% hit and get the 4GB version. I initially got the 2GB model as well from BB because I had a $300 gift card and that's all they carried. The more I thought about it the more it bothered me that I only have 2GB of ram. I didn't want my MBA to be obsolete and chug only a few months down the line if I decide to do a bit of iMovie editing or play an occasional game. It was worth it to me to spend the additional $100 or whatever it was extend the useful life of the laptop for many many more months. I ended up returning it (no restocking fee fortunately) and configuring a 128GB/4GB/1.86GHz MBA at Apple.com

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
Since I last posted in this thread, I also returned my MacBook air 13" and got the "ultimate" version with 4gb ram. Fortunately I just explained my situation to the apple store manager and she waived the restock fee. All I paid was the $218 difference. For me, in the long run I think it's worth it since I plan on keeping this air for atleast 2 years.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
Since I last posted in this thread, I also returned my MacBook air 13" and got the "ultimate" version with 4gb ram. Fortunately I just explained my situation to the apple store manager and she waived the restock fee. All I paid was the $218 difference. For me, in the long run I think it's worth it since I plan on keeping this air for atleast 2 years.

Glad to hear it.

In other news - Apple Stores are reportedly dropping the restocking fee all together! :D

http://www.9to5mac.com/46581/no-more-restocking-fees-at-apple-stores-starting-january-11

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
Thats how it should be...most people want to return and swap for something else...why punish them for being good customers! I've done it twice...exchanged. Thats what apple is all about, its a real STORE where you can test out stuff, use it, swap it, etc..

MacAir47

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
I already returned my MBA 2 GB

Hi everyone,

I finally gave in and called the Apple store returns number, and I told the person that I wanted the 4 GB Macbook Air instead of the 2 GB version. As a result, I have to settle for the difference minus the restocking fee even though I told that person the most Apple Stores do not even charge that rediculous fee. I was given the pre-paid Fedex Express label and I sent my Macbook Air back to Apple for a refund last Wednesday. The place in Northern California near Sacramento received my return on Friday, and they processed the refund the same day. I should get my refund sometime later this coming week perhaps by January 13th or the 14th since it's suppose to take 5 business days.

I did make an attempt by going to my local Apple Store here in Seattle to see if I could return it for the upgraded version, but the local Apple Stores cannot take online Apple Store orders because they have two different inventory systems.

I decided I want to purchase the Macbook Air 4 GB at MacMall since they have better and faster service than Apple, and the price is a lot cheaper even with that paultry educational discount. I am going to purchase it once I get my refund as well as my regular paycheck. Of course I will have to pay my bills first, then I can see the amount left over before I decide which configuration to purchase.

I am not sure to get the Ultimate Macbook Air with 256 GB SSD, 4 GB of RAM, and the upgraded processor. I think I could settle with the 128 GB SSD and 4 GB of RAM model instead.

I want to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions on this desicion.

Sincerely,
David

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
The processor should be the least of your concerns, so I'd say save your money there. The difference between 2.13GHz and 1.86GHz is pretty negligible. As far as storage is concerned, well if you need more than 128GB then you need it, if you don't think it'll be too difficult to stay within a 128GB confine then save your money there as well. I believe (though i'm not positive) the SSD unlike the RAM, is upgradeable if you're comfortable enough to remove the cover.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
As you can tell from my sig, I agree with your decision to exchange your 2GB MBA for the Ultimate model.:) My 13 inch Ultimate MBA has exceded my rather high expectations. I continue to believe that 2GB of RAM is plenty for most users. Nevertheless, we don't know what the future holds and 4GB of RAM seems to be becoming the standard.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I got the 2GB, 128 version because I got it from Amazon which saved me something like $300 factoring in everything.

$1099 to my door.

I figured it wasn't worth so much for the extra ram.

Is it your sole computer?

For me, it's my second computer and I figure if the next Air update is so much better, I can just sell this one and pay a bit to get the new one.

It's nice they're so much more affordable now.

However, if you plan to keep it several years, more RAM *might* have been nice, but we have to remember the cycle has slowed down on how much ram and processor speed you need right now, so you'd still be ok longer than you might think.

It also depends on what programs you use.

Nevertheless, I'm perfectly happy with 2GB for the time being on my Air at least.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I finally gave in and called the Apple store returns number, and I told the person that I wanted the 4 GB Macbook Air instead of the 2 GB version. As a result, I have to settle for the difference minus the restocking fee even though I told that person the most Apple Stores do not even charge that rediculous fee. I was given the pre-paid Fedex Express label and I sent my Macbook Air back to Apple for a refund last Wednesday. The place in Northern California near Sacramento received my return on Friday, and they processed the refund the same day. I should get my refund sometime later this coming week perhaps by January 13th or the 14th since it's suppose to take 5 business days.

I would see if you get the full amount back to your credit card. I had a friend return his online purchase MBA recently (by shipping it back to Apple), and there was no restocking fee.

If they do take a restocking fee out, I'd call and politely complain. As of January 11th, there is no restocking fees at the Apple Store.

Don't let them charge you it. :D

I am not sure to get the Ultimate Macbook Air with 256 GB SSD, 4 GB of RAM, and the upgraded processor. I think I could settle with the 128 GB SSD and 4 GB of RAM model instead.

If $$ is no object, or you want to keep the computer for a good number of years, the rule of thumb is always "buy the best you can afford to". But in practice, the 1.86/4GB model is gonna seem just as fast for 90% of tasks as the 2.13/4GB model.

And if you can work with the 128GB SSD (who need to have that much data on a MBA?), then I'd say stick with the 1.86Ghz model.

halledise

macrumors 68000
I purchased my Macbook Air 1.86 Gig, 2 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD Memory on December 18, 2010 using my educational discount on the Apple Store website. I was debating at the time to get the extra 2 GB RAM or not, but in the end I went with the 2 GB RAM version because I could not afford the 4 GB version.

I have been reading the forums to see if 2 GB of RAM would be enough for the future, especially with the forthcoming OS X Lion in the summer of 2011. I mainly use it for schoolwork such as word processing, spreadsheets as well as using it for music and for the internet.

I called Apple about this issue, but I am not sure if I want to return it and lose 10% of the purchase price that I paid for. That's a lot of money to lose in one shot.

I went to my local Apple Store in Seattle, but they will not take returns from the Apple online store since their inventory numbers are not the same. Even though they carry the computer I want with the extra RAM installed.

Does anyone think that it would be worth it to do this return or just keep what I have in the first place? I have until January 10th to make this decision. I hope someone can help me.

Sincerely,
David

ebay it - take a small $ hit - order the 4gb model

MacAir47

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
Apple's ends restocking fees

Now that Apple has stopped doing there restocking fees at their retail stores, does this also apply to their online orders? I have not found any information on this subject at all.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have been reading the forums to see if 2 GB of RAM would be enough for the future, especially with the forthcoming OS X Lion in the summer of 2011. I mainly use it for schoolwork such as word processing, spreadsheets as well as using it for music and for the internet.

I'd say: Keep it. When Lion gets released wait until you see whether people complain or do not complain about memory usage - you don't _have_ to use Lion. At some point in the future you may decide that you don't have enough memory; if that happens there is eBay :D

Javad04

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
I got the 4GB version and haven't looked back. If I plan on keeping this laptop for atleast 2yrs, the 2GB version won't suffice. I use Vmware to also run Win7 and no doubt the 2GB model wouldn't have been useful.

It's a bit disappointing that Apple

a) doesn't disclose anywhere on their site that the memory included in the notebook isn't user upgradeable like all other notebooks in the industry!

b) They don't have a upgrade program for users to go from 2GB to 4GB. I'm guessing in a year there will be very upset MBA users who got stuck with 2GB and find out they can't upgrade to 4GB.

Very bad business decision for Apple.

hey mm1250, I was wondering how you were finding performance on the 1.86ghz 4gb ram air? i was hoping to get one in that config. My uses wold probably be school work, media and I want to get started in video editing (i have an external monitor for extra screen space)...

whats your opinion?

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Pardon the noobie question but I'm new to macs.
How do you check the usage?

I'm new to macs as well :).

Go to your applications folder, scroll down, go to utilities, click on Activity Monitor and you can check hard drive usage, CPU usage, and memory usage among other things.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
hey mm1250, I was wondering how you were finding performance on the 1.86ghz 4gb ram air? i was hoping to get one in that config. My uses wold probably be school work, media and I want to get started in video editing (i have an external monitor for extra screen space)...

whats your opinion?

This is the setup I have and I've been very happy with it. My uses are mainly web browsing, skype, a few video's here and there. I also have Win7 Pro configured on here via bootcamp and it runs that quite well also, though I only run it if I have a windows only software that I need to use or if i'm troubleshooting a windows network

My only complaint so far is the wifi performance isn't as good as my PC laptops with an Intel based wifi controller. Basic internet browsing or even downloading is ok, but when I'm streaming video from my media server my MBA has somewhat frequent split second pauses and skipped frames where my other laptops (even ones with less powerful CPU and GPU) stream flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.