Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KENPHOTO

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
This is annoying in the sense that I have a hifi dock that cost over £200 as well as numerous leads and things around the house that our two iPods, two iPhones and the iPad connect to. Then suddenly my next phone will connect to none of these things, all so apple can make the phone a tiny bit thinner. Mmmm... Progress for progress sake?

Well use some forward thinking. I would not be getting any expensive dock products as wireless is the way to go. Ether Bluetooth or wifi.

KENPHOTO

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Bet you can't wait to plug your Samsung nexus galaxy chocolate sponge cake world edition with tingling sense HD powered by android 4.1 beta with 3D into your iPod dock. :rolleyes:

Lol! Classic comment. Almost pissed myself laughing at that one.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Could Apple be putting micro usb on their devices to comply with the EU regulation as opposed to their own type of connection? The mockup in the story seems like it would fit.

So the dock becomes more of a secondary connection type, with wireless charging and sync'ing being rolled out in the refresh? Instead of having docks for our phones, we have a mat/sync pad, put your iPhone down on it and automatically it charges and streams video or music to your Apple TV or Air play enabled device.

That way Apple wouldn't provide a sync cable when buying the phone and thus make packaging smaller also?

Last edited:

maxluc

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Massive Fail

If this is legit, might be a massive design fail, placing the microphones even further away from either a right- or left-handed user’s mouth when talking on the phone and possibly even placing an obstacle there (cable) further diminishing speech quality.

philoscoffee

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
UK
Apple should just make it a micro-USB, now that they are adept at putting standard ports on the Retina MBP (HDMI, USB 3). Didn't the EU mandate that all phones sold needed to connect (or charge) via micro-USB or the manufacturer must provide an adapter free of charge?

Micro-USB is fine for syncing and charging, but doesn’t support the additional functions (e.g. video/HDMI out) that Apple’s proprietary connector allows. Apple wouldn’t include two connectors that perform the same function, so I expect we’ll see an adapter.

With a bit of luck, the new connector will include both digital and analogue audio outputs.

mokle

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Magsafe

I hope it´s a MagSafe dock connector - I bet they don´t just change the size, Apple would also want to revolusionize the way we charge...

Isn´t there a metal rim there?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
What, wait, it's not micro-USB? Why?? I don't want another charger for my phone, I have a handfull already. :(

Don't throw the charger away. Most likely the other end of the new cable will plug into the standard USB port on the charger.

Besides. The charger comes in the box with the iPhone (so does the cable). You might not want it to, but it does.

charliecc

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Oh boy, two dock connectors! Thank god Android isn't fragmented at all. :rolleyes:

That's not the point. Yes, Android is fragmented and you need a new accessory with every phone. The point is, that the only thing causing people to cling on to their outdated iPhone is the tie is to accessories and the eco system. Take one of those away and the cost of moving is less.

Now that Android (Phone and OS) is streaks ahead of Apple, more people will jump ship.

On a separate note, the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone is the place it always goes on Google Nexus devices, and it's the best place for it.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple should just make it a micro-USB, now that they are adept at putting standard ports on the Retina MBP (HDMI, USB 3). Didn't the EU mandate that all phones sold needed to connect (or charge) via micro-USB or the manufacturer must provide an adapter free of charge? This would be one way to bring the cost down further (and keep the margin higher) by using a standard jack like this....proprietary connectors are so 1986 (ADB, anyone?)

Apple _is_ proprietary. You're buying into a closed, locked down iToyz system.

AndyCarolan

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
UK
All fine by me... its progress. The only thing I use the dock connector for here is to charge the device.

I can however see a few issues arising with existing equipment using the old dock connector, but I'm sure there will be many adaptors available shortly after launch, if not before.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
well, this sucks for my clock radio, it has two docks (one for my iPad and the other for my iphone) I wonder what we will lose with the new dock connector having only 19 pins instead of 30?

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
This seems to be the same rumour rehashed over and over again. How about some other hardware specs. RAM, processor, GPU, camera??

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
It's not that big of a problem. Most devices in the iPhone and iPhone 3G and 3GS era had the dock that was designed for their shape. When the iPhone 4 came, it didn't fit inside all that well.

With this, at least it's the same shape of the bottom, you'll just have to purchase an adapter that will be the width and thickness of the iPhone, and that will have a male new connector on top, and the female old one on the bottom. It will lengthen your iPhone by 1 or 2 cm, and when you look at it from below it will look like the old iPhone 4 and 4S models, to use with all accessories.

The only problem will be the accessories that encompass the whole iPhone, like those arcade systems and some other stuff, but since iPhone 5 is growing in height even without such an adapter, it's not only the dock connector problem.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
The headphone jack on the bottom actually makes a lot of sense to me. As far as the redesigned dock connector, they've been using the same one for a very long time so I don't think you can really get too mad about them changing it, I just hope Apogee makes adapters for their iOS devices.

charliecc

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008

In my opinion there are 2 reasons, and I agree it's subjective.

1. The cable coming out of the bottom of the device means it's less likely to obscure the screen when holding the device in hand or when it's in a car mount.

2. It's natural to place your phone into your pocket bottom side up. With the iPhone you have to swap that behaviour when the headphones are plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.