Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Hi there,

I'm the mostly happy owner of a new iMac...except it feels slower than my 1.25Ghz Al Powerbook... Applications take ages to open and switch, fast user switching is anything but - and iPhoto / Photoshop Elements are just grim.

The Powerbook has 1GB RAM and runs like a dream, the iMac has 512MB and doesn't.

Can RAM make that much difference? The iMac's XBench score looks fine (166.61), so I'm left thinking it must be needing more memory.

Any suggestions? How much RAM has everyone got in their shiney new iMacs?

Thanks!

Dave

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It all depends how many programs you are opening at once. The first 1 or two should be normal, but as you open MORE than 512 Mb of programs at once your performance will degrade. So the answer on whether 512 Mb RAM is enough is -- "it depends"

Also, go into Energy Saver and make sure your Performance is set to Highest.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

dave76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
I'm sure it does depend on what I'm doing, and I'm probably trying to do a lot - but what I don't understand is why my Powerbook worked great for a year with only 512MB, and I had as many apps open on that as I am on the iMac...

I've changed the processor setting to highest as well (it was on automatic) but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I'm happy to stick another 1GB in there, but only when I'm sure that it's a RAM issue that is causing the problem!

Cheers

Dave

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
I have a 20" iMac G5 2.0 GHz, and with only 512 ram, I have had no such problems as the original poster has mentioned. :confused:

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones. :)

512 ram on the iMac G5 seems to be good for daily use items even photo and video editing, with the exception of HD content. :)

I also found out that and this is my personal experience that 10.4.0 is better than 10.4.1. The update x.x.1 seems to have issues that also affects my LCD visually. Strange. Revert to 10.4.0 and see if that fixes your problems. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
mauly said:
I've been running photoshop cs2 in my rev-b iMac G5 (512MB) and it works like a dream... and thats on automatic!!!

I agree, RAM is not the issue here. Unless you are working on multiple wall-sized poster in PS, then and then only you might require more ram. :)

I have to say that this is one of the BEST deals Apple has ever offered in all my years of computing. Free would be even better but then again one pays for quality. 20" iMac G5 all the way. :D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
zap2 said:
try some more RAM, it really can not hurt ur mac only help it.

There is the issue of funds, in ones budget. And unless you cannot afford, Great. However its only a patch solution. 512 is good for sometime.

My only wish is if he iMac G5 could support more than 2 gigs of ram down the road. Yes, I know about the 2 RAM slot issue. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.