Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cam Johnson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
UT
I figured I would start a thread for those of us who signed up for the "Ultimate Test Drive" from Samsung. I am curious what other people's thoughts are on this change.
Please include what device you currently use, what device you are receiving and your thoughts on it when it arrives and as you test it.

I currently have a 6+. Waiting on the Galaxy Note 5 to arrive later today. Hopefully it ends up being good, but we will see if it will be enough to make me make the switch (I highly doubt it).

Reactions: 5105973

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
As a PS, it's ok to like it, and give a positive review.. You ain't being disloyal.. You won't be banned.. If you think it's a POS, that's cool, tell us why.. this thread will work so much better if they are honest and post what they think, rather than post what they think others want to hear..

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Well not doing the test drive but I've owned many an iphone, recent phone history (org iphone 3g, 3s, 4, SG3, 5, Nexus 5, 6, SG 6) Had the iphone 6 from November to June and recently traded it with someone else for a SG6 and cash).

1. Be prepared for a learning curve play with the phone a lot to give it a fair chance. Nice thing about Samsung is that it's an Android phone with a physical home button still and has some functions similar to an iphone.
  2. Try some launchers because touch wiz is ugly and icons look too big. I suggest Nova Launcher as a starting launcher and try some icon themes out.
  3. You will learn to love the back arrow. It may annoy you at first but once you get used to it being at the bottom of your phone so you don't have to stretch top left you'll love it.
A breakdown of most used functions by most people

Google now vs siri.

Pro: Google now is faster and tends to get better search results

Con: I find Siri is maybe a bit better of an assistant, sending and reading messages to you in a car especially better than I've experience with the S6 and android.

Result: Tie

iMessage vs Hangouts

Pro Hangouts is available multiplatform so most people can have it.

Con: iMessage is more fully fuctional, has more features and one I really like is grouping all the photos that have been in a chat if you want to see or save one. Although both apps can be used on a computer hangouts cannot currently do sms over the computer and iMessage is ios only.

Result: iMessage more so if you own a mac.

Notifications

Pretty tough to beat Android on this. iOs made big leaps to catch up and now have actionable notifications. It's still nice to have the little icons of the type of notification on your status bar though. Also I find the ios two tab notification drop down clunky and inefficient. I'm also still baffled why half the time I look at the day view and want to know the current temperature it only tells me conditions but not the temp. If Apple ever goes back to a simple ios 6 notification drop down it would be a tougher call. I miss the stock ticker and weather widget from those days.

Result: Android

Camera

I actually like the iphone camera functionality and simplicity more and I think the iphone took slightly more pleasing pictures to my eye but it's pretty much a dead heat.

Result: edge iPhone

What sets Android apart?

Customization: I like things clean and astheticly pleasing. I find paper design is a bit nicer looking than ios. I like being able to have uniform looking icons, Nice large clock and weather widget on my main page for quick viewing. Row's of icons seem like a waste of space since most people only use a few consistently

Set your default apps: You can set default apps if you have a prefered browser, email app, music app etc you can set it on Android and that's what it will open by default. As far as I can remember apple and siri will always use the apple app.

Navigating the phone (efficiency): Bottom back arrow > then top left arrow. Placing icons on the bottom of your pages easy to reach > top left icon auto arrange and double home button tap to bring down to open. These may not sound like a big deal until you get used to it and go back to a larger iphone model and you notice how annoying it is to be reaching up all the time with one hand use or wasting time having to double tap.

Conclusion

I'm not biased towards Android definitely not a FANDROID type of user. I'm a tech enthusiast that actually have generally preferred Apple products in the past but find they are losing a bit of focus lately. I notice a lot more bugs in software releases these days and it seems like they are focusing a lot more on features (especially those they profit on like using icloud space and music) than improving functionality. I'd prefer to own an iphone but until they improve some of these little things I'll hang on to my S6.

Last edited:

Cam Johnson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
UT
As a PS, it's ok to like it, and give a positive review.. You ain't being disloyal.. You won't be banned.. If you think it's a POS, that's cool, tell us why.. this thread will work so much better if they are honest and post what they think, rather than post what they think others want to hear..

100% agree! I've been thinking about making the switch and this test is perfect for me! Maybe I'll love it, maybe I'll hate it. I'll post and honest review and hope everyone else does too!

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
I'm just trying to figure out when they'll start shipping them out.

I wanted to try a note 5 TBH. Ended up being stuck with an edge. Bleh.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Me too. I want to get one to tide me over between when I sell my iPhone 6 and get my iPhone 6s. Be nice to have an ok phone instead of a crap nokia to fill that gap.

Reactions: Cam Johnson

Xtremetj

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
Texas
Hoping to get in on the deal. I have been really tempted to make the switch and this would really help me make that decision.

Cam Johnson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
UT
My package just moved this morning after being dormant since Saturday evening. It's about 15 minutes away. I hope I get it this morning!

davidjacobs21

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
My package just moved this morning after being dormant since Saturday evening. It's about 15 minutes away. I hope I get it this morning!

Did you ever get notification of shipping or do you know this some other way. I havent gotten anything from samsung after the initial confirmation

Cam Johnson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
UT
Did you ever get notification of shipping or do you know this some other way. I havent gotten anything from samsung after the initial confirmation

I searched my package by fedex reference using "Samsung trial program" and my zip code.
Mine just got delivered!

Reactions: jamezr

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
I got mine a couple of hours ago. I love it so far. It feels much lighter in hand and it's way easier to hold than my iPhone 6 Plus because of the curved back. It just feels more natural in hand. It is much smaller in everything but thickness. The smaller bezels really stand out in comparison. Performance wise I have noticed zero lag and in fact my iPhone with the latest iOS 9 public beta feels quite laggy in comparison. Unlocking with fingerprint seems much faster on the Note. That's basically all I have so far. It's about time for my Verizon Edge trade in and I was already leaning towards the Note 5 so unless the iPhone 6 S Plus is really exciting I may be switching.

Cam Johnson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
UT
Thoughts so far.
Build feels super nice! It fits well in the hand. I have a note 5 (moving from a 6+). It is very slippery though which kinda sucks. Overall I do like how it feels in the hand better than an iPhone. I will be putting a case on.

Setup was quick and easy. They had an app and special cable to transfer all of my stuff. It took about 20 minutes to find all the info and then transfer it. Quick and painless and done very well IMO.

Bloatware- I knew it would be there. Right away I started uninstalling apps. It was a bit different as I'm used to the dancing icons with the X. You tap and hold the icon and then drag it to the top where it says uninstall. Worked like a charm! I took off probably 15 apps. NBD as it only took about 2 minutes, but it was kinda annoying.

Camera- Images look crisp, but upon zooming in for detail it doesn't look super amazing. Maybe it was low light, but I think iPhone wins here. I will do more testing before saying for sure though!

Overall, I think I will be fine for the next 30 days until I realize I really like it more, or I switch to the iPhone 6s+.

Reactions: JGIGS and jamezr

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
I got mine a couple of hours ago. I love it so far. It feels much lighter in hand and it's way easier to hold than my iPhone 6 Plus because of the curved back. It just feels more natural in hand. It is much smaller in everything but thickness. The smaller bezels really stand out in comparison. Performance wise I have noticed zero lag and in fact my iPhone with the latest iOS 9 public beta feels quite laggy in comparison. Unlocking with fingerprint seems much faster on the Note. That's basically all I have so far. It's about time for my Verizon Edge trade in and I was already leaning towards the Note 5 so unless the iPhone 6 S Plus is really exciting I may be switching.
great review from someone who was prepared to give the enemy a go.. Everybody needs Samsung, htc, lg, sony etc, to continue to make great devices.. It will push Apple to up their game which in turn will spur the competition in to bigger and better things.. The end result.. We as consumers all win.. Loads of choice, but more important.. Loads of good choice..

Ayeyotone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
so is your test unit the same as any other note 5

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
so is your test unit the same as any other note 5
Yes, the only difference is it came in a different box and included a cable to connect directly to your iPhone to transfer your data over. There is also a special app called Samsung Ultimate Test Drive.

Ayeyotone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Yes, the only difference is it came in a different box and included a cable to connect directly to your iPhone to transfer your data over. There is also a special app called Samsung Ultimate Test Drive.
so u can transfer information and it doesn't mess up the info on your iPhone can post some more pics

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
so u can transfer information and it doesn't mess up the info on your iPhone can post some more pics
It doesn't mess up the iPhone. You plug the USB OTG cable into the Note 5 and then plug your iPhone & Lightning cable into the OTG dongle. When you do it pops up on the iPhone asking if you want to trust this computer. From the Note 5 you can select just what you want moved over. It actually charges the iPhone through the OTG cable as well.

IMG_0078.jpg IMG_0080.jpg IMG_0082.jpg IMG_0083.jpg IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0085.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0086 (1).jpg
    IMG_0086 (1).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 270

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
Thoughts so far.
Build feels super nice! It fits well in the hand. I have a note 5 (moving from a 6+). It is very slippery though which kinda sucks. Overall I do like how it feels in the hand better than an iPhone. I will be putting a case on.

Setup was quick and easy. They had an app and special cable to transfer all of my stuff. It took about 20 minutes to find all the info and then transfer it. Quick and painless and done very well IMO.

Bloatware- I knew it would be there. Right away I started uninstalling apps. It was a bit different as I'm used to the dancing icons with the X. You tap and hold the icon and then drag it to the top where it says uninstall. Worked like a charm! I took off probably 15 apps. NBD as it only took about 2 minutes, but it was kinda annoying.

Camera- Images look crisp, but upon zooming in for detail it doesn't look super amazing. Maybe it was low light, but I think iPhone wins here. I will do more testing before saying for sure though!

Overall, I think I will be fine for the next 30 days until I realize I really like it more, or I switch to the iPhone 6s+.
You have the option of shooting RAW. I was able to comparethe same picture in jpg and Raw, shot on the Note 5. Personally, I liked the Raw picture a lot more, it was able to retain more detail, without all that noise reduction implemented by the phone's software. You can adjust the picture to your liking as well if you are into that. You should give it a shot.

Audio quality should be much better as well for videos. The Note 5 has 2 mics as opposed to the iPhone only having 1 mic. I have the Note 4, and that one had 3 mics. Samsung removed the third mic from the Note 5. It might have affected the audio quality a little bit.

Slow Motion should still be a winner in the iPhone 6+ though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.