Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Logi Circle, a home monitoring camera, is one of the first products Logitech is selling under its new Logi brand, which it's using for devices that are part of the Internet of Things. The Logi Circle is a palm-sized connected camera designed to let its users monitor their home and interact with pets, children, and other people when away.

logicircleunboxing.jpg

I've been using the Logi Circle in my home for the past few weeks to get a feel for how it works and how it compares to some of the other camera options on the market, and the major takeaway is that the Logi Circle is not a home security device. It's not meant to notify you of intruders, but it is a way to connect to the home and those inside of it at all times.

Hardware

The Logi Circle camera has an attractive, simple design that looks like a modernized version of a classic webcam. Made of black or white plastic, it's about the size of a tennis ball, with a circular base that fits magnetically into an included charging stand. A lot of companies don't pay attention to minor product details like cords, but that's not true of Logitech.

logicirclewhatsinthebox.jpg

Attached to the charging stand is a flat white USB cord that's able to plug into the included power brick or any other USB-based charger. I don't know about most people, but I hate ugly, bulky black cords that stand out, so it was nice to see an unobtrusive, clean white cord included with the Logi Circle. The cord is also quite long at 10 feet, so it will reach to plug in behind furniture.

logicirclecable.jpg

The front of the Logi Circle contains the camera, which has a 135 degree wide field of view. It's wide enough to capture most of a room, depending on the size of the room. Around the camera there's a ring-shaped speaker and a microphone for two-way communication. An activity light on the front indicates when the camera is turned on, and the light blinks when someone is viewing the feed.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: The Logi Circle Will Keep You Connected to Your Home Even When Away

Reactions: appledefenceforce

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Ugh I'm tired of everyone releasing all these in home security cams. Can we start to get some nicer well connected, external weather proof cams too?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I thought about getting a connected camera for my house... but the thought if it recording my wife and I all the time is a little unnerving. This one at least stores completely locally... how are people "ok" with sending a full-time recording of their house to off-premises servers (like with some of the subscription services?).

I mean... I could see a time when I'm on the train and my camera says there is "movement" in my house. I fire it up to see what's going on and... *blam* across my iPhone6+ screen is my naked wife after she just got out of the shower... in full view for everyone on the train!

I mean: maybe it's because I live in a small apartment, but the "Day Brief" option would _never_ be useable for me because there would never be a single day when at least one of us wouldn't be naked on the "Day Brief" video... which would mean that I can't view it anytime other people could see my phone...

Ultimately, I decided this is one fad I can't get into.... and I love connected home stuff (I have a Nest, Hue Lights, Logitech Harmony Home in both rooms, Withings Scales, etc.).

As is mentioned here, if I want to videochat with my wife at home I'm just going to use FaceTime. With my dog... well, I'm just going to trust that he's good ;-)

justin thrasher

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2015
Bought one, it's junk. They recommend mounting on wall with a command strip, which is great till the plastic base falls apart and the camera drops nearly in your child's crib. The command strip was a champ, still stuck to the wall, with part of the base still stuck to the otherside of the command strip. So the adhesive they assemble the product with, isn't even as as strong as a 3M command strip. Tried to exercise 30 day return, after having the camera 10 days, they counted my 18 days of preorder against me, waited 3 days to respond and on day 31 said I couldn't return it for a refund. Thankful for American Express who doesn't take that crap from anyone and refunded my credit card. Bought it to replace a dropcam pro, quality of video and product doesn't compare. Logitech, as mentioned before, is a bunch of thieves.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I have found over the years that all Logitech branded stuff ultimately turned out to be over marketed overpriced junk that receives zero support from a company that has less morals than a den of thieves.

My sentiments, too.

I own a Logitech speaker that turned off whenever the music was too quiet.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Reactions: Col4bin

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Never had much luck with Logitech products--mainly networking routers and range extenders. IMO terrible customer service with scripted support, and many problems connecting and staying connected with my Macs. Low-end products as far as I'm concerned that are not worth the hassel. As far as this new Logi Circle is concerned, been burned by this company in the past, so no thanks.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Maybe MacRumors should receive some compensation - the OP is probably going to be the only positive comment in the entire thread.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Whenever I see the word 'connected' on the information superhighway
I think of Queensrÿche's 'Disconnected' and I immediately feel mo bettah.

galrito

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
Whatever marketing dweeb coined the term "Internet of Things" needs to be punched. Hard.

Also, not really seeing how this is anything new. It's basically just a refined version of the IPcams that have been on the market for YEARS.

Indeed, I really hate that term. It doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

CostaMoses

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
does anyone know how many of these cameras you can connect to the same app/account? I am trying to find a solution to help out my Grandma. More context here.

arijaycomet

macrumors member
May 23, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio - USA
does anyone know how many of these cameras you can connect to the same app/account? I am trying to find a solution to help out my Grandma. More context here.

How many cameras do you need? I'd probably suggest going with the NetGear Arlo system, if you want more than one device. It is wireless and weatherproof, too, which is nice.

More thoughts here: http://bit.ly/1SwUAGl << check that out. Basically I think the LOGI is nice, but they can get pricey. You can buy a 4-pack of ARLO cameras right now for $399 which is a steal of a deal....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.