Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I found an extremely helpful tool in this task - it's called Rezycle. I've tried it and can recommend it - it does exactly what it says it's supposed to do, and does a darn good job with MOST things I've thrown at it. What it does is reads in the resources inside the file's resource fork, extracts them, and converts what it can to more modern formats. As you can imagine, this helps immensely in preparing for reviving an old Mac OS 9-only game. That said, anyone else found any useful tools for this sort of thing (that run in Snow Leopard)?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
As you already know, I'm a huge fan of reviving classic Mac games :)

File Juicer is also handy, I know it converts 'snd ' resources.

I started recently writing a modern resource viewer that would be somewhat useful for these purposes, without the need to resort to shareware/closed tools (trying to make money off 25-year old obsoleted technology is just plain silly to me). I also wrote some code that played back 'snd ' resources only using Core Audio - no Carbon Sound Manager involved. Maybe I'll clean it up and open source it one of these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.