Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
How to get rid of cursed right click on file, "open with" dialog options like: "123.xyz (MAC) - Bootcamp Partition"

I dont see any possibility, to get rid of these links.
With Windows, one can delete possible apps out of the context menu win the registry.
How to do with OS X?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
I've never seen that before, could you post an image? As for the contextual menu, you could use Grab in your Utilities folder and do a Timed Screen capture, and pop up that offending menu. Then you can crop out the menu with Preview so the image is much smaller than the full screen. I'm not familiar if there is a better way.

Is it for every Open With dialog for any file?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I'm not familiar if there is a better way.
Open the menu you want to capture, press Command-Shift-4, press space to see a camera icon, then mouse over the menu so that it's highlighted and click.

I know the Open With menu has to do with LaunchServices and that clearing out the cache can sometimes help if the list gets messed up, but I've never heard of Windows apps appearing in the list - it should only be Mac executables. Do you have Crossover or Parallels/Fusion installed? I don't know if those could cause something like that.

Not aware of a way to exclude items, though some Googling might turn up something.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Open the menu you want to capture, press Command-Shift-4, press space to see a camera icon, then mouse over the menu so that it's highlighted and click.

I used to know the key combo to take pictures, as it was the only way in OS 9 (it was only one or two picture types unlike now though). Ever since Grab I've forgotten them. :(

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
thats to open apps with Vmware Fusion with your Boot Camp partition.

Of course it is - thats my issue - I neither need nor want these crooked links.

I never use these links, to start an app in one or the other OS, while running the opposite one.

I want to get rid of these clustered context menus - how?

And no - you cannot take a screen of this context menu. All captures just ignore the "second context menu" in the "open with" option of the actual right click context menu.

How to disable it?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
<clip>
And no - you cannot take a screen of this context menu. All captures just ignore the "second context menu" in the "open with" option of the actual right click context menu.

<clip>

Just for a heads up, that is actually not the case. If you use the command+shift+4 and drag to select the secondary menu like the first one below (or use command+shift+4, then spacebar to select the panel like the second one) the screenshot will be taken fine. The pictures just won't show up (on your desktop or wherever screenshots are saved on your system) until you dismiss the menus- whether the "Open with" was opened from the menubar or the command+click method.

Attachments

• Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 104

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Just for a heads up, that is actually not the case. If you use the command+shift+4 and drag to select the secondary menu like the first one below (or use command+shift+4, then spacebar to select the panel like the second one) the screenshot will be taken fine. The pictures just won't show up (on your desktop or wherever screenshots are saved on your system) until you dismiss the menus- whether the "Open with" was opened from the menubar or the command+click method.

Thanks for this lesson sickmacdoc! :D

So finally here is one of those huge menus, cramped with useless apps:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 99

Section 8

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2005
i've got the same damn problem and its a pain in the ass!

do-not-want-dog.jpg

any help would be appreciated :X

EDIT:
found it!

in the Virtual Machine settings dialogue, click "Sharing" and uncheck "Allow your mac to open applications on the virtual machine"

that should get rid of it - i'd tell you if it does or not, but i got a little spinning wheel - o - death when i hit the button :D so im just gona let it sit for a while

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I FOUND A SAVE SOLUTION! - Problem solved!

do-not-want-dog.jpg

any help would be appreciated :X

EDIT:
found it!

in the Virtual Machine settings dialogue, click "Sharing" and uncheck "Allow your mac to open applications on the virtual machine"

that should get rid of it - i'd tell you if it does or not, but i got a little spinning wheel - o - death when i hit the button :D so im just gona let it sit for a while

I know about this preference in the virtual machine.
Unfortunately, it did not unset the redundant menu options.

BUT I FOUND A SAVE SOLUTION!

With the system maintanance tool "onyx" you can set back the file to software binds systemwide and get rid of the VM Ware Fusion software in hte context menu.

Open onyx, go to maintanance/rebuilt and click "launch services". Execute the scripts.

Now all connections between documents and software are set back to their system defaults. You have to advise your software to the documents again, if you changed something.

I open jpgs by default with xee.app - the onyx script sets it back to preview.app. You have to open the inspector on a jpg file and set the default software, to whatever you prefer again.

I am happy, that i have found this way - its great, to clean things up system wide, when you messed around too much with Mac OS X.

Topolinux

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009

EDIT:
found it!

THANK YOU SECTION 8! I UNCHECKED THAT OPTION AND ALL THE WEIRD "BOOTCAMP PARTITION" APPS IN THE CONTEXT MENU DISAPPEARED.
^___^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.