Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Maybe they should only sell 64GB versions then to lessen the blow.. after all the difference in cost of 16GB and 64GB is probably only a few dollars to them.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
So you can still ding and chip the glass, but no longer crack it, or vise versa? Is it less prone to cracking?

Sapphire is scratch resistant, but brittle so it cracks much more easily. Gorilla Glass is shatter resistant, but softer so it scratches much more easily.

That's why Gorilla Glass makes sense for something large like an iPhone you don't want to break when you drop it. That's why sapphire makes sense for something small and attached to your body like an iWatch so you don't scratch it when you bump into things with your arms.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Mark my words.
There will not be a 5.5" iPhone.

This is 2014's version of the teardrop iPhone.

iphone5mockup-110422.jpg

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The first few displays are $100,000,000 each, but after that it drops way down. :D

Apple is not cost limited, but production limited. The sapphire plant is producing now and also ramping capacity at an amazing rate. Apple is not cost limited, but production rate limited.

There is a severe sapphire display shortage in China for everyone else however, so that part of the report is probably right. Sucks to be a cloner right now!

I suspect the proposed retail price increase by $100 applies to the many other added features like increased screen size and added internal sensors and features.

"Nobody needs 64 bit." - Qualcomm CEO right before eating his own words

Rocketman

cite:
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/07/apple-sapphire-manufacturing/

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I too find it hard to believe that Apple would use sapphire for an iPhone. The benefits simply don't balance with the cost. The Gorilla Glass screen on my iPhone 5 has held up remarkably well, so I'm not too concerned with scratch resistance. If sapphire wouldn't shatter if I dropped the phone, I'd be all for it. But that's not the case.

Even though the iWatch is small compared with an iPhone, Apple will produce tens of millions of them. That's an awful lot of sapphire, and I'd bet that's what the sapphire plant is for.

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
I highly doubt that the costs are that huge, considering that there are Casio watches with sapphire glass for <70€. Of course, the amount of sapphire needed for an iPhone is way higher. But still, so are their economies of scale.

jasonbogen

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2006
This wasn't thought through very well by Apple.

If you believe that Apple is a) going to spend more than 6x what they are currently spending on screens and b) haven't thought this out well; because of this article, you are not thinking this out well yourself. There will be no Sapphire screen until they can do it within cost constraints. Don't forget, they have never said they were building a Sapphire screen both that along with the cost given in this article are rumors...remember, you are on macRUMORS.com.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
people need to understand that the cost of iphone is relatively low compared to the cost of monthly bills.

on a 2 year contract, you'll spend around $2000 to $3000.

it's irelevant iphone 6 costs $100 or $200 more on contractual price.

even if the iphone costs $500 on 2 year old contract, people will still buy it.

There's some truth to this. However, Apple is feeling pressure from those who pay the subsidy to deliver a lower-cost iPhone. The partners are steadily grumbling every quarter about the subsidy. If you pay attention, you'll notice that while they run some commercials for iPhone, they push the other smart phones much more regularly (why? Because they cost them less in subsidy).

I don't see the masses accepting $500 out of pocket. I think the masses think iPhone should be about $0-$199 with a contract.

And the press is on to break that $2000-$3000 norm down. Even the big boys now are promoting monthly unlimited* offers in the $40-$50 range. $45 times 24 (months) = $1080. $1080 - $600 to $700+ for the Apple subsidy = unhappy AT&T, Verizon, etc.

Fat subsidy worked when the masses were signing up to pay $2K-$3K or more over the 2-year contract. It stops working as the monthly toll for unlimited* comes down… especially if Apple asks for an even higher subsidy.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Repeat after me:

There is not going to be a 5.5" iPhone 6. All these rumors are being started so they can beat up on Apple for not delivering this mythical beast when a smaller, less ridiculously sized iPhone 6 is released.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Saphire cover over the display shouldnt cost more than 10$ per screen considering that Apple is cooking it on its own.

Dont know where the price mentioned in the article came from...

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
"This extra expense could increase the retail price of the next generation iPhone by approximately 50 percent."

That's way to expensive for a phone. In the UK, if the 16GB version remains that would mean it would cost around £825! Would still buy it though :D

VinylStar

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
Melbourne
This whole article doesn't make any sense whatsoever. When Apple agreed with GT Advanced to a $600M production agreement, I would assume that at that point, Apple would know roughly a cost per unit. At that point in time, GT Advanced operated on low scales of production and as with any scaling up, cost invariably decrease. What hidden costs have presented themselves to increase the costs of producing sapphire by a factor of 6-7? If anything, I would predict that the cost's per unit will have fallen to potentially $10-30 per screen as the technology matures and the scale is increased dramatically. I'm definitely one for an un-scratch-able iPhone screen. I'm sick of having to remind myself to put my keys in the left pocket, and phone in the right.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Wow, there's so much ignorance to be found here regarding the benefits of sapphire crystal.

Using sapphire as a substrate achieves nothing at all, it's only as a surface layer that it makes any sense.. since it's the surface that would be part that has to fend off scratches.

And no, Gorilla glass doesn't come close to the scratch resistance of sapphire crystal.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
If you believe that Apple is a) going to spend more than 6x what they are currently spending on screens and b) haven't thought this out well; because of this article, you are not thinking this out well yourself. There will be no Sapphire screen until they can do it within cost constraints. Don't forget, they have never said they were building a Sapphire screen both that along with the cost given in this article are rumors...remember, you are on macRUMORS.com.

Exactly. Not only that, if they were moving to sapphire from gorilla glass, it would only be because it is a better material. If it is not a better material for this application, they won't use it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
There is not going to be a 5.5" iPhone 6. All these rumors are being started so they can beat up on Apple for not delivering this mythical beast when a smaller, less ridiculously sized iPhone 6 is released.

"Ridiculously sized" is eye of the beholder. For example, this beholder would ONLY be interested in a 5.5" if that's the two size choices. Competitors sell a LOT Of "ridiculously-sized" phones and Apple might want to bite into that same opportunity. Money is money even if the buyers want to be ridiculous.

I suspect it's only ridiculously sized until Apple rolls it out. Then it will be "shut up and take my money" and "best iPhone ever". Only a few years ago, 3.5" was the one and only perfect size and anything bigger was an "abomination" etc. Then, Apple rolls out the 4" and no one called it an "abomination". Only everything over 4" was "need new pants" ridiculous… until Apple rolls out a bigger-screened phone and magically all those bashes will flip right with the screen-size change. There's a pattern forming. Can we see it?

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Sapphire is scratch resistant, but brittle so it cracks much more easily. Gorilla Glass is shatter resistant, but softer so it scratches much more easily.

That's why Gorilla Glass makes sense for something large like an iPhone you don't want to break when you drop it. That's why sapphire makes sense for something small and attached to your body like an iWatch so you don't scratch it when you bump into things with your arms.

You do realize that Sapphire is as shatter resistant as gorilla glass 3 when you increase the thickness just a tiny bit right?

This seems to be something that people repeatedly forget and seem to completely lack understanding of.

A 1.16mm sheet of sapphire crystal is better or equal in every measurable dimension of durability compared to a 1mm sheet of gorilla glass 3. Apple has heavily invested in technology that makes displays thinner, so they can make a display with the same shatter resistance and several orders of magnitude more scratch resistance in the same thickness.

Read that a few times if you don't understand it.

Apple can make a 2mm saphire display that when compared to a 2mm gorilla glass 3 display, would have identical shatter resistance but would take 158 times more force to scratch with a set of keys.

If you could make anything 158 times better in a very meaningful dimension with no downside (other than cost, which is very speculative as of now), it would be a no brainer.

Last edited:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
They just won't do it, it's far to much of a jump in component cost for the benefit of what apple would see.

Providing a stronger glass does what for Apple? Are there millions of people never buying an iPhone again because the screen smashed?

It's not a big enough selling point to warrant that sort of price increase.
They bought a sapphire plant. These costs do not accurately reflect the costs that Apple would pay.

This wasn't thought through very well by Apple.
You mean the people reporting it? Apple seems to be thinking it through pretty well. Which is why they bought a sapphire plant to produce their own sapphire, at a much lower cost.

There is reliable speculation that the Sapphire is not a cover glass at all but rather a substrate for new LED display technology. I honestly don't see an advantage in replacing Gorila Glass with Sapphire so this seems plausible.
No.

Ridiculous rumor. iPhones won't use sapphire, and there won't be a 5.5" iPhone.
The next iPhone will have sapphire.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

Sapphire isn't brittle, more brittle than gorilla glass? Yes, but not brittle in general. Also glass has a structural weakness which is why people break their devices, shapphire doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.