Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
And I can see restaurants supporting this by either bringing a device to your table or as you walk out.

I don't think either will happen, honestly. Apple Pay at (sit-down) restaurants will more likely be via app rather than NFC, if one bothers writing an app.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
I don't think either will happen, honestly. Apple Pay at (sit-down) restaurants will more likely be via app rather than NFC, if one bothers writing an app.

Except you're forgetting about the change to EMV acceptance. Even if restaurants don't adopt to it at first, EMV payments will become the norm in the future whether they like it or not. How will you conduct an EMV transaction by having the waiter/waitress take the card in the back? It's not possible.Restaurants will have portable units in the future.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Except you're forgetting about the change to EMV acceptance. Even if restaurants don't adopt to it at first, EMV payments will become the norm in the future whether they like it or not. How will you conduct an EMV transaction by having the waiter/waitress take the card in the back? It's not possible.Restaurants will have portable units in the future.

I should have been more clear in my last comment. The portable terminals are likely not happening for most restaurants because we're doing chip and signature, not chip and PIN. No need to enter a PIN means restaurants can still take cards from tables like they do now. For the 1-2 customers a month who pay with a chip and PIN card (likely foreign visitors to the US or maybe one of the lucky few Americans), having them walk to the back where the card machine is will likely not to be a big deal. Or their POS/merchant provider may just disable PIN altogether and downgrade all cards to chip and signature, eliminating the "inconvenience" of even dealing with those 1-2 people.

This isn't theoretical, BTW -- I actually have had to go to the back of a restaurant in the US when I tried using my chip and PIN card one time. Not to mention that restaurants in general don't seem to be bothering with EMV anyway.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
I should have been more clear in my last comment. The portable terminals are likely not happening for most restaurants because we're doing chip and signature, not chip and PIN. No need to enter a PIN means restaurants can still take cards from tables like they do now. For the 1-2 customers a month who pay with a chip and PIN card (likely foreign visitors to the US or maybe one of the lucky few Americans), having them walk to the back where the card machine is will likely not to be a big deal. Or their POS/merchant provider may just disable PIN altogether and downgrade all cards to chip and signature, eliminating the "inconvenience" of even dealing with those 1-2 people.

This isn't theoretical, BTW -- I actually have had to go to the back of a restaurant in the US when I tried using my chip and PIN card one time. Not to mention that restaurants in general don't seem to be bothering with EMV anyway.

How are you supposed to sign for the item when the chip is supposed to be in the reader at the same time the signature happens?

You also need to understand that a lot of people in the U.S also have chip cards now, as that's what most banks are handing out to customers. All of my cards are chip enabled except for two of the ones from my credit union (which they'll be switching later this month). My M&T, Chase Credit, and Citi Credit are all chip enabled. So 4/5 will be chip enabled by the end of the month. It's not "1-2 American's per month", it'll be MOST American's.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
How are you supposed to sign for the item when the chip is supposed to be in the reader at the same time the signature happens?

You also need to understand that a lot of people in the U.S also have chip cards now, as that's what most banks are handing out to customers. All of my cards are chip enabled except for two of the ones from my credit union (which they'll be switching later this month). My M&T, Chase Credit, and Citi Credit are all chip enabled. So 4/5 will be chip enabled by the end of the month. It's not "1-2 American's per month", it'll be MOST American's.

1-2 people a month with chip and PIN cards visiting the establishment. This will depend on the restaurant, of course, but I could see some restaurants getting a lot fewer than that if they're nowhere near a tourist area.

The vast majority of Americans (probably nearly everyone but I don't have data on that) have chip and signature cards, where you maybe sign* after the transaction gets approved and you remove the card from the machine. And before anyone brings up debit cards, those prefer signature over PIN as well unless the business explicitly supports debit. Even then, it sounds like that'll behave the same as today, where you could easily say "credit" or push the necessary button on the reader to sign for the purchase instead.

*If the amount is large enough. Basically like it is today.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
funny how folks just suddenly forgot how to use the regular plastic

No, it's not about forgetting how to use plastic (a rather childish response).

It's about preferring a much more secure transaction via Apple Pay with the vendor not getting your credit card number or name in the process. For me that's huge.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Not likely! Reading this forum, you'd think everybody who can uses Apple Pay when it is available. That is not the case. Out of my group of friends and acquaintances (about a dozen) with iPhone 6 or 6 +, I am the only one who use apple pay. Some people - like my wife - find it too complicated (I even set it up for her), Others don't trust it, or don't bother with it since "swiping a card works just fine".

Therefore, I think that the number of people who switch stores because of ApplePay is very small.

OK. Please let Rite Aid know that from your small anecdotal sample, moving forward with Apple Pay was not a worthwhile move.

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
No, it's not about forgetting how to use plastic (a rather childish response).

It's about preferring a much more secure transaction via Apple Pay with the vendor not getting your credit card number or name in the process. For me that's huge.

This. I think it's not so much about Apple Pay as it is about NFC transactions. I'm not about to let some consortium like MCX have direct access to my bank account while harvesting personal information to be given to the merchants.

And in answer to some other issues in this thread, my :apple:watch works very well with the merchants that are utilizing NFC. Double click, scan...done.

Stick a fork in MCX...it's done....

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I never knew that customer loyalty depended on being able to use your phone to pay or not.

Being able to pay with your phone or not is a minor problem.

However, if you have millions of people who just bought an iPhone 6, and who want to use a much praised feature, and they can't use it in your store _because you intentionally disabled it_ after it was working for a while, that's a sure way to destroy customer loyalty.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
There is no hacking Apple Pay until we get a proof of concept that one can. Give it about 6 months.

The nuclear hacker society is already working on it, so are the Russian brainiacs, who will then sell the antidote apps.

Well, Apple themselves can't hack Apple Pay.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Wow... received a lot of hate for my comment. I'll own it though as I find a lot of "post-steve" apple products half a$$ed in terms of innovation and "leading the industry" like it onced did.

And for the record... I'm not an Apple hater. I just can't stand Tim Cook. And so by association, anything he was in charge of releasing makes me want to vommit. If i had to say I hate an apple product, id say Apple pay. But it's not limited to Apple Pay... its more NFC in general. You can add google wallet, current-c, samsung-pay, etc... to that list.
I find it completely useless, slower then swiping a card, and 100X slower then just wiping out cash.

Not to mention, anytime you use any sort of card/nfc/cashless service, the business has to pay a chunk to the processor which 9 times out of 10 gets passed on to the consumer. We are essentially causing ourselves to pay more because people want to the ability to pay with a phone.

Just wait until EMV rolls out. You will soon see that it is much much much slower than NFC. Those new chip cards can take as long as 30 seconds to process and will need a pin for every purchase, even credit cards. For now, yes, it's still faster in some cases to swipe a card, but this quickly changes come October.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Just wait until EMV rolls out. You will soon see that it is much much much slower than NFC. Those new chip cards can take as long as 30 seconds to process and will need a pin for every purchase, even credit cards. For now, yes, it's still faster in some cases to swipe a card, but this quickly changes come October.

Nope. See my last post above.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Nope. See my last post above.

Fair enough, the US is using Chip plus Sig, either way, it still takes a lot longer to process. Also, Chip and Sig is only temporary, I have a few friends that work for B of A and have already been told they are planning on migrating to EMV chip and pin for all of their credit cards by 2017.

Reactions: Nicky G

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Fair enough, the US is using Chip plus Sig, either way, it still takes a lot longer to process. Also, Chip and Sig is only temporary, I have a few friends that work for B of A and have already been told they are planning on migrating to EMV chip and pin for all of their credit cards by 2017.

That timeline seems awfully quick, if true.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
It's about the same speed that the UK used. They had the same thing happen.

The UK got chip and PIN cards immediately from swipe and sign; people were just allowed to skip having to enter a PIN for a couple of years before officially enforcing it.

Anyway, I say the timeline is optimistic because BofA will need to reissue every chip and signature card already out there in order to add PIN, which is not something the UK had to do. If they start today it would take about 3 years or so to replace all of them as they expire or otherwise need replacing, meaning mid-2018 at minimum.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
In many countries that is not future anymore, but has been accepted payment for many years. Having mobile terminals that do everything from taking the order and transmitting it to the bar and kitchen to taking the payment are in use in many countries in Europe for example.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth

you could pay at the booth like you do when you check in. A lot of places I've been too have extra room off to the side to check out. Not everyone will use it so its not like it'll be busy or what not.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
you could pay at the booth like you do when you check in. A lot of places I've been too have extra room off to the side to check out. Not everyone will use it so its not like it'll be busy or what not.

Maybe, but a) that's traditionally been the sign of a lower-class establishment in the US (think Denny's and IHOP level) and b) it may require remodeling to do so, which could cost just as much as buying portable terminals if not more. If they don't absolutely need to, why do either?

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Finally!!! I've been boycotting them and just walking a few blocks further to Duane Reade

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
Being able to pay with your phone or not is a minor problem.

However, if you have millions of people who just bought an iPhone 6, and who want to use a much praised feature, and they can't use it in your store _because you intentionally disabled it_ after it was working for a while, that's a sure way to destroy customer loyalty.
Companies disable features all the time that compete with their interests with Apple being one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.