Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codevine

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
In another thread I've read that the newest Yosemite Developer Preview made the system feel snappier and/or even eliminated most of the UI lag. Has anyone tried it?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
In another thread I've read that the newest Yosemite Developer Preview made the system feel snappier and/or even eliminated most of the UI lag. Has anyone tried it?

Not the latest DP, but I'm using the PB and it is very smooth in comparison to Mavericks.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Any hint of lag is gone in Yosemite DP6 for me. I cannot distinguish the performance between HiDPI and non-HiDPI any more. Frankly, I have never been bothered by the graphical performance on my rMBP, but I have to admit that the difference is quite noticeable.

I do not know what they did (probably some sort of aggressive caching + improved drivers), but it most definitively worked.

P.S. I am using the first-gem rMBP.

----------

I thought the lag was because of the low clock speed. Once you start doing the same UI action several times, it will up the clock speed and the UI lag dissapears.

You probably refer to the Mission Control lag. The performance improved on subsequent activation because the window images were already pre-cached. Again, this is now gone on Yosemite DP6. Mission Control is pretty much instant. There is still a slight initial lag when you have a lot (and I mean 20+) windows open, but it is barely noticeable, not to mention that this lag is also present on non-retina machines. This is a very intensive operation after all — the system needs to retrieve actual images of all open windows, which usually means redrawing them all.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I get noticeable lag with the following:

I have the Applications folder in the dock. It's set to display as a folder in list view with apps listed alphabetically. Vertically scrolling through this list is smooth on a cMBP but slow, laggy, and jagged with my 2013 13" rMBP.

Codevine

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
Any hint of lag is gone in Yosemite DP6 for me. I cannot distinguish the performance between HiDPI and non-HiDPI any more. Frankly, I have never been bothered by the graphical performance on my rMBP, but I have to admit that the difference is quite noticeable.

Wow, that sounds really amazing and seems to be on par with what I've read in other threads. I do not own a rMBP yet (will be ordering next week), but it looks like my "UI lag concern" are pretty much gone. :)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

I have the Applications folder in the dock. It's set to display as a folder in list view with apps listed alphabetically. Vertically scrolling through this list is smooth on a cMBP but slow, laggy, and jagged with my 2013 13" rMBP.

Yes, that is a bug. I remember looking into it a year ago and it seems that the icons are getting reloaded every time you scroll (indicated by a spike in disk access when scrolling in a list view). This is obviously extremely slow. It has nothing to do with the hardware or GPU performance, its just very bad programming. I do not know why this is exclusive to HiDPI mode though (maybe high-res icons are not being cached or something like that).

P.S. I don't remember whether Mavericks did this as well, but Yosemite seems to employ lazy loading for scenarios like these. That is, you get a placeholder image first so that the view is available immediately, and the proper icons are loaded in the background and substitute once available. This only happens though if there are a lot of items to display at once, usually the icons are immediately available.

Cardsnk

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013

This and even on a 15" rmbp

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012

I do not know what they did (probably some sort of aggressive caching + improved drivers), but it most definitively worked.

P.S. I am using the first-gem rMBP.

I have the samge gen as you and the 2012 rMBP and I can agree with you that the performance as been improved in DP6 in many things but iTunes 12 still lags like hell scrolling through albuns and musics.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
Just take any file with unknown file extension, try to open it and click on "choose app to open with" (or something like that). Try scrolling - magnificent.

Also, faces view in iPhoto could be nominated king of stuttering UI.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
I mistook your post for his. The lower part of the post was adressed at him. My apologise.

Mba and rmbp are by far the best laptops on the market. People who call the screen on the mba terrible don't know what they are talking about.

Ack! Sorry, but after Retina, I could never go back. I wouldn't say the screen is terrible but its not where near the quality of a Retina display...

Shod

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014

This is the issue I'm having. List view in the dock is like a slideshow, it's extremely jarring.

This only happens in the dock though. If you open a new Finder window, put it in list view, then navigate to the Applications folder, the scrolling is smooth as silk. Two similar scenarios, yet two very different outcomes.

Any hint of lag is gone in Yosemite DP6 for me. I cannot distinguish the performance between HiDPI and non-HiDPI any more.

That's not what I'm experiencing. I installed public beta 2 last night and, while there is a slight improvement, scrolling in the dock list view is still very laggy.

I *did* notice an improvement scrolling in apps like Chrome however, which is still a little laggy in Mavericks.

I'm on the mid 2014 15" MBP, so it shouldn't be having these issues. The rest of the machine is flawless, so this is something I've decided to just put up with. It's a shame I have to "just put up with" anything on a £1600 machine, but there you go :)

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
This is the issue I'm having. List view in the dock is like a slideshow, it's extremely jarring.

This only happens in the dock though. If you open a new Finder window, put it in list view, then navigate to the Applications folder, the scrolling is smooth as silk. Two similar scenarios, yet two very different outcomes.

That's not what I'm experiencing. I installed public beta 2 last night and, while there is a slight improvement, scrolling in the dock list view is still very laggy.

I *did* notice an improvement scrolling in apps like Chrome however, which is still a little laggy in Mavericks.

I'm on the mid 2014 15" MBP, so it shouldn't be having these issues. The rest of the machine is flawless, so this is something I've decided to just put up with. It's a shame I have to "just put up with" anything on a £1600 machine, but there you go :)

In DP6 I can see many improvements in lag if I disable transparency effects on Accessibility options but Yosemite without transparency effects it's ugly :(

Shod

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
In DP6 I can see many improvements in lag if I disable transparency effects on Accessibility options but Yosemite without transparency effects it's ugly :(

Ooh I didn't try that. I'll have a play later tonight.

I'm still holding out hope for Yosemite. My guess is that UI lag would be pretty low priority and might be fixed later on, compared to getting the new features working properly. The fact that it's still there after revisions of Mavericks doesn't exactly put me at ease though.

I've already had two people saying how "slow it is" when they've been poking through my app drawer, so I had to distract them and show them something else :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.