Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I have my rMBP hooked up to external display and closed on a stand. I use apple's bluetooth keyboard and mouse to wake it up from sleep. However, it will only wake up and show on the external display when i have it plugged in. I have bluetooth devices enabled to wake up the computer. How do i wake it from sleep even when not plugged in?

I can wake it from sleep fine with or without being plugged in when not hooked up to an external monitor and being used as a standalone laptop.

thanks

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
How would a Power Nap document help him?

I believe this is how it's supposed to work. It's only possible to use the laptop in clamshell mode when plugged in. What you're trying to do is use it in clamshell mode on battery power - this isn't supported and doesn't work natively. There are apps that enable clamshell mode on battery power, try a little search.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I have my rMBP hooked up to external display and closed on a stand. I use apple's bluetooth keyboard and mouse to wake it up from sleep. However, it will only wake up and show on the external display when i have it plugged in. I have bluetooth devices enabled to wake up the computer. How do i wake it from sleep even when not plugged in?

I can wake it from sleep fine with or without being plugged in when not hooked up to an external monitor and being used as a standalone laptop.

thanks

That's how clamshell mode works it only works when plugged in.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Maybe if you have READ the document you would have seen the line
So next time read an article before you rant off on the Interwebs!

What the heck...? I have seen the line and I'll repeat it - how does it help anybody? We're neither talking about Wake on WLAN (which is what that line is about) nor about Power Nap. OP has specifically stated that everything works fine, even with the power adapter unplugged, as long as he's not trying running it in clamshell mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.