Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axisD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
hey everyone, got my 2012 imac a few months ago and its my first experience with any Mac, so I'm still learning the ins and the outs with it.

I got an emergency babyface interface, and I plugged it into a USB port, but I don't know what to do next. it has power going to it, but I'm used to PCs where you plug in a USB device and it automatically recognizes it and starts installing drivers. I'm also used to using "device manager", but I don't really know the equivalent for that on the Mac. I checked under "utility ", but didn't see my device in there. I appreciate any help, thanks!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
hey everyone, got my 2012 imac a few months ago and its my first experience with any Mac, so I'm still learning the ins and the outs with it.

I got an emergency babyface interface, and I plugged it into a USB port, but I don't know what to do next. it has power going to it, but I'm used to PCs where you plug in a USB device and it automatically recognizes it and starts installing drivers. I'm also used to using "device manager", but I don't really know the equivalent for that on the Mac. I checked under "utility ", but didn't see my device in there. I appreciate any help, thanks!

Maybe this will help. http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13704

axisD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
interesting, ill have to try that out when I get home. so the device should have showed up in the utility section on the imac? I dont even know what was supposed to happen when I plugged it in.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
interesting, ill have to try that out when I get home. so the device should have showed up in the utility section on the imac? I dont even know what was supposed to happen when I plugged it in.

Something else you can try.

Does it show up in Disk Utility? Does it show as mounted in Disk Utility? There is a MOUNT button in the toolbar of Disk Utility. If it shows UNMOUNT, then it should be connected.

Have you checked Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop and Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Devices?

axisD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
ok I just checked all of that, and no it wasn't showing up. I also tried resetting and unplugging everything, and it didn't show up then either. The interface came with a driver installation cd, but naturally, these new imacs dont have a disk drive, would maybe downloading the drivers from the site get it to work? I guess i'll give that a shot.

axisD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
so....anyone else here have any tips. Has anyone with an imac owned a babyface?

ematsuno

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
My RME stopped working when I installed MacOS 10.11 anyone else out there have any good news instead?

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
My RME stopped working when I installed MacOS 10.11 anyone else out there have any good news instead?
If you're doing audio work, it's not a good idea to update your OS as soon as it comes out. You need to wait until all your hardware/software companies indicate their stuff is compatible with 10.11

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
axisD -

With the Babyface plugged in and powered on, have you opened "Audio/MIDI setup" to see if it's being "recognized" by the system? On my "music Mac", I keep Audio/MIDI setup right in the dock, for quick access to check.

Along with the link posted in reply #2 by firedept, another good forum to check out is gearslutz.com.

ematsuno

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
You got that right. I had no idea it was the day of the release.
I'm dead in the water and can't proceed with recording and it basically sucks.

Anyone know of a work around. Migrations tend to be one way, so backing out to the prior OS might not be an option. If there's an easy fix, I would be happy to hear of it.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
10.11 is breaking audio devices left and right - I installed a test install on an external drive and verified Roland VG-99, Roland RC-300, Midiman Midisport 2x2, M-Audio Fast Track and Alesis I02 are all not functioning. Go back to Yosemite until they get their act together.

ematsuno

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
an anyone confirm RME Babyface functionality on MacOS 10.10 (yosemite)

Also, where can I get it? It's no longer supported by Apple US

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.