Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
halVORTEX said:
i watched it and i thought it was pretty good but i did notice one thing though but i could be wrong but when they were pulling the thing from out of his brain i was under the impression that you cant feel anything thats in your brain but w/e it just jumped out at me and i was wondering about that but that was the only thing that didnt rock the casbah
Your brain has no pain receptors, but the doctor was cutting through skin, flesh, and bone... all of which can certainly experience pain. Remember, he was also doing all that without the benefit of anesthesia.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Raven VII said:
HBO needs to recruit Joss Whedon and let him loose on a TV series.

I'd be surprised if Joss didn't try to get Firefly picked up by HBO after it was cancelled. As I understand it Joss shopped around Firefly to everyone under the sun but nobody was interested.

Lethal

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Daveway said:
It looked like a good show, but maybe that's because I walked in on that rough sex scene. :eek:
They seem to have alot of those... :rolleyes:

Needless to say, this episode was hella awesome. Didn't care to much for the brain surgery part... :eek:

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
Just thought I'd bring this thread back now that the season is over and see what everyone thought? Personally I ended up loving every minute of it! :D

Still, I thought it was go to have a more epic feeling instead of going for a more intimate one but I think in the end it made it a better, more thought provoking experience.

A little sad to see the characters go if they do in fact continue from another time period, that is if they do in fact continue at all. :(

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Doctor Q said:
Should I teach my children to kneel before me respectfully when I come home from work?

Why, of course ... anything less would require you to relinquish your title as a macrumors god. As soon as I hit the send button, I will be kneeling in proper tribute. Hail to all the gods and goddesses amongst us.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I missed a bunch of Rome episodes while I was on a long vacation. I'm hoping to start where I left off when they rerun the whole series, whenever that will be.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I know this is an old thread, but I just recently saw season 1 of Rome, so it's farily new to me (;)). Fantastic show! I was very, very impressed.

The disappointment was big when I realised that HBO was reluctant to make another season because of cost. I feared another brilliant TV show would be cancelled too early for the wrong reasons.

I was therefore very happy today, when I was browsing through Wikipedia and found this in the article on Rome:

HBO confirmed plans to produce a second season for release in January 2007 in a news conference held on Wednesday, July 12 2006.

Glorious! There's even speculation about a third season. That would be awesome, right? Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. ;)

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Glorious! There's even speculation about a third season. That would be awesome, right? Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. ;)

Great news! I had pretty much been resigned to the fact there would only be one season. Is the BBC still co-producing? Since the set and everything is built it should be cheaper, right?

bobscliff

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
NYC
quigleybc said:
This show sounds great...

Too bad I don't have HBO..

Good thing there are alternative routes.

Alternatives routes? You wouldn't be talking about anything illegal would you?:p
Just kidding who cares, it's tv. I'm downloading it as we speak because the dvd's not out yet and is $100. Plus i pay a hefty sum for hbo so i figure i'm entitled to something.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
bobscliff said:
Alternatives routes? You wouldn't be talking about anything illegal would you?:p
Just kidding who cares, it's tv. I'm downloading it as we speak because the dvd's not out yet and is $100. Plus i pay a hefty sum for hbo so i figure i'm entitled to something.

I was thinking more along the lines of going to a buddy's place to watch it.

But, ya if I dig it maybe I'll download an episode or two some day, right now I'm too obsessed with the 4400.

bobscliff

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
NYC
hey what do jar jar binks and titus pullo have in common? they both inadvertently brought down their respective republics. what dont they have in common? jar jar freaking sucks.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Rome will be airing later this year in Australia on Channel 9 (ie - for free!) Can't wait too see what all the fuss is about, the little snippets we've seen look awesome.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thread Revival

5B2F649D-1949-434F-A537-B3F58898F5BA.jpeg

I watched this series when it was current, cutting edge HBO. I have it on BluRay and we are up to episode 6 and the series is just as impressive as the first time! An all star cast, it’s Ray Stevenson’s best work than I am aware of, although he made an appearance in Dexter. James Purfoy, Kevin Mckidd, Polly Walker, Ciaran Hinds, and the entire cast are great.

Historical figures, mix with the serie’s fictional main characters, I believe it is historically accurate, the story starts with Julius Caesar, leading his legions across Gull, becomes perceived as a threat by his friend and rival Pompeii, the leader of Rome.

HBO cancelled the series after 2 seasons not because it was unpopular, they said it was too expensive to shoot in Italy on the same set where they filmed Cleopatra (I think), among other locals.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
One of the things I like about this series, although I have no clue if it is accurate, is that Julius Caesar is portrayed as a decent character I like. :) It was shocking and somber when Titus Pollo frees a slave woman because he loves and wants to marry her.

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Years after this show ended, I still occasionally say "Any road..." when changing subjects in conversation.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.