Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogercain12

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
I know there will be some sort of mac multiplayer, but the problem i have, is that any sort of existing competition on the multiplayer (clans etc) will be started from scratch, and probably there won't be many clans on mac at all.

rogercain12

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
yes feral,

can we get one more confirmation?

the game will be availalable by christmas if we pre-order?

chillinhard

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
i had to have my shipping address changed so i emailed feral, and the return email i got contained this little nugget of hope: "The game is nearly ready to ship and we are awaiting the final approvals." sounds good to me...:)

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
You Must Get This Game!

I've been replaying RTW via bootcamp in preparation for the Mac release. Now I'm re-addicted, thanks Feral.

A few comments from my earlier post and some new comments:

- To new players: when you're in battle mode, resist the temptation to pause the battle and micro-manage. You'll have a much better experience if you play real time and learn to have a simple battle plan and follow through with it.

- I will buy it again for the Mac, just to avoid rebooting.

- Multiplayer is a great experience. While I've spent several hundred hours in single-player, the few multiplayer games have been a blast. I've been obliterated in some of my multiplayer games, but that's the only way you learn and get better. Since us Macintosh RTW multiplayer players will be segregated into our own ghetto, I encourage everyone to give multiplayer a try - let the chat room know it's your first time and everyone will be gentle (until you get to the battlefield).

95thSharpe

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
Will it be possible to play with the code to Unlock the "locked" factions, as you can on the PC version

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Help is Here!

I pre-ordered it Saturday - we'll see if I get it before Christmas.

Once you get the game:
- Have fun! Play several turns, get in several battles, relax and enjoy. If something happens that you don't understand, note it and go on.

- A lot of stuff just makes sense: if you put one of your generals in a lot of battles, they'll get better at fighting. If you leave the same guy sitting in a city to manage it, he'll get better at managing cities. So you can avoid the micromanaging the first several times you play.

- The opposite of above, play one or two turns and check everything - the money, the population, the trade income, the generals' retinues, everything. Read these links to get up to speed on the details, if you're a detail guy.
Total War Center main forum: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20
Total War Center strategy forum: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52410
Heaven Games main forum: http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/Ultimate.cgi
Heaven Games strategy forum (check out the stickied topics): http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=t&fn=1

- DO NOT PAUSE THE GAME DURING BATTLES. For several reasons, the first being it is much more enjoyable in real time. This is not a matter of personal preference, it is a fact. Second, it's more realistic. Third, a game of RTW can take several weeks, every night, to finish. You can easily double that if you're a pauser. Fourth, there's no pausing in multiplayer.

- For your first battle, accept the deployment that you start with, it's pretty good. Then just march to the enemy and let the battle happen - don't bother with fancy-pants maneuvering. To march to the enemy, select all units, then right click near the enemy. The default settings (skirmish, fire at will, etc.) will provide a reasonable attack.

- On the strategy level, do not overbuild your army. Each unit costs a couple hundred per turn. Keep your army small enough so that you're making several thousand per turn at the start. You will need the money more than the troops.

- Hop onto mulitplayer and give it a whirl. Let everyone know you're new at MP and you'll find someone to step you through it.

95thSharpe

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
Still processing, BUT even if it is sent today I won't get it before christmas because of all the snow we have had here in the UK, takes the p+++ to be honest I was really looking forward to it with all the suggestions we would have it before christmas and now this :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

still it's a kick ass game :rolleyes:

jmaquarry

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2009
ouch - idle promises for the release date leave me quite upset - i too was looking forward to a nice xmas present :)

on a plus not a recent email from feral stated they were working hard to ship the game within "the next few weeks" (last fri) so hopefully it will still be before jan 13th

ZazenZach

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Anyone from Feral care to drop us an update or has everyone already left for the holiday?

Well, obviously it is not coming out in time for Christmas like they said. I wish I understood programming. This game was announced over a year ago and yet it still is in development. Doesn't make sense?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.