Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Hi there,

Most of the TV shows I used to watch have now been finished. I rarely watch TV now - so I am finding it hard to find 'new' shows to get hooked on (i.e. by watching DVDs).

Shows I used to watch (before the got cancelled ended) included:

Joan of Arcadia [Cancelled] - I absolutely loved this show - great characters and stories, good acting and music. Absolutely perfect.

Will and Grace [Ended] - I really liked this programme however it has now finished.

Frasier [Ended] - My favourite comedy. The acting is second to none (especially Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce). Niles' character is hilarious.

Malcolm in the Middle [Ended] - Good programme however I felt it lost its way. The show started on the premise of 'Malcolm' a super intelligent boy having to live with a disfunctional family. Malcolm grows up to be very selfish, annoying and acts without thinking in later seasons (although he is meant to be extremely intelligent!).

Family Guy [Season 5 (can someone tell me if this is going to return for another series?)] - Excellent. Hilarious comedy. Stewie is just fantastic. I love how they treat Meg (lol), the whole Stewie hates Lois thing and Peters stupidity. Sometimes they keep a joke running too long and it just feels wrong. Also, dislike when they break into music.

My all-time favourites where Joan of Arcadia and Frasier. I have always wanted to see Roswell, however it is not showing here currently. I have heard it is really good. Would you recommend it?

Also, I saw Superman on Friday and this has got me interested in Smallville (although it has nothing really to do with the movie). Would you recommend this series?

Shows I also like are Hope and Faith, Less than Perfect [I think!] and Judge Judy [She Rawks! :p].

Can you recommend any shows you think I would like?

I have heard a lot of people on here talking highly of Arrested Development?

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
FearFactor47 said:
I have heard a lot of people on here talking highly of Arrested Development?

I love Arrested Development although it also has been cancelled after 2 1/2 seasons. (You can get the first to seasons on DVD)

I'd definitely recommend it if you want to get hooked on a show. I've let friends borrow my season one and they've watched the whole thing in one day.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'd recommend 'Arrested Development', but I know not everyone likes that style of show. I'll wager that you would enjoy it (since you like Malcolm..., Frasier, and Family Guy).

Even though its a different type of show, I have yet to find a person who can watch just one episode of any particular season of '24'. Some people only watch one or two seasons and give up because they can't take the stress, though.

Both the british and american versions of 'The Office' seems to be popular, but if you've already seen the british version, the american version will probably pale by comparision.

I've watched 'Smallville' off and on, for me it's kind of like a series like the 'X-Files', very hit and miss depending on what part of the characters, plot, mythology you are into.

I would recommend 'Six Feet Under' and also that you try out some of the other HBO shows like Deadwood, Carnivale and The Sopranos. Each have there own distinct feel, but all are really well shot, acted and scripted.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Family Guy is due back for Season Five in the US this September, with Season Six supposedly firmly in Fox's plans.

I will also suggest Arrested Development...you have to watch it from the beginning though. I watched a couple of episodes midway through the first season when they were first aired and hated it. I was completely lost. But later, some friends lent me the DVDs, and it's heck of a lot better if you actually start from the beginning and follow along.

Another vote for The Office, both UK and US versions. If you haven't seen the UK version, I would say you should watch that one first. Then watch the US one...first cringe at the horrible first couple of episodes that essentially copy the UK version (not very well, I might add), but the show quickly grows into its own to become hilarious in its own way.

I'll also throw out Scrubs and My Name Is Earl as some other suggestions.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
My name is Earl and The Office. You could always Netflix sows, too. I've been watching Are You Being Served? and couldn't be happier. On a final note, this Saturday, NBC is showing the Miami Vice Pilot to push the film. If you've never seen it, it's a must see.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Personally, the greatest television I've ever seen is with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. There are weak points in each series (particularly the later seasons of Buffy and the early seasons of Angel), the best in each series is simply amazing.

I enjoyed Smallville - particularly their portrayal of Lex Luthor, Michael Rosebaum is great in the role. But it got a little old, especially with Clark and Lana Lang. I stopped really following the series after the third season.

The X-Files is another great series. It's one of the best television shows out there at it's height, but the way it dragged on after the fifth or so season begun to show - same major villain, a conspiracy that never really gets solved, never really getting an answer (they give you bits and pieces in a episode, then "forgets" about it later, only to bring it back, then again, only to say it's all lies and THIS is the real answer... rinse and repeat). Worth watching though.

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess are two awesome series I enjoyed back when I was younger. Very campy and truly horrific at times, the series in general were great fun. Xena was the much stronger of the two though.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Check out these series on DVD; Lost, 24, Arrested Development, Alias, Prison Break, and The Office (UK). If you like the sci-fi/ paranormal type shows I seriously suggest The 4400, it's pretty slick.

Chaszmyr said:
Roswell is my favorite show ever, and check out Veronica Mars.

Ahh yes. Do check out Veronica Mars. I'm about half way through the first season, it's great. I'm still in shock its a UPN show :p

Raven VII said:
And rickyanr, that's just weird, quoting someone that posted AFTER you!

Well one post sometimes is better then two (or three), especially in such proximity.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
ExoticFish said:
Firefly

'nuff said.

Snap. *smacks oneself for forgetting Firefly*

And rickyanr, that's just weird, quoting someone that posted AFTER you!

I also want to throw in a few series I failed to mention above: Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG-1 (and it's offshoot, Stargate Atlantis) and FarScape, all awesome sci-fi shows.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Agree with everyone else. Also like to add Dead Zone, Monk, Psych (new series), and the British show Hex. Smallville is ok. I think I've seen every episode because it's a guilty pleasure, but it's very erratic. More miss than hit, though still enjoyable for some reason. Completely destroys the Superman mythos, but if you're not really into that and like mopey 30 year olds pretending to be teenagers with lots of supernatural stuff that doesn't actually make any sense, you'll get a kick out of it. The Justice League cartoon that was on Cartoon Network was way better though. Built on the brilliant Batman and Superman cartoons by Paul Dini. Speaking of, catch Adult Swim on Cartoon Network if you like Family Guy type stuff. I've been catching the reruns of That 70's Show too. Also a guilty pleasure. Dumb, but funny if there's nothing else on.

Ain't It Cool News has some info on new stuff on DVD and on TV.

C

CompUser

Since there is no Rosewell, or Smallville, just watch Kyle XY. I watched about 5 minutes today and it seems like the same thing as the other shows. :) :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Family Guy is fantastic, but like yourself, I don't really watch TV anymore. All the shows I used to watch are gone, and while I love comedies, no comedy other than Family Guy makes me laugh. They're all so......."American," as in American style humour. I'm one of those people who doesn't know where to start looking for good shows. Living away from Canada doesn't help, either. We used to get all the good shows, but now it's difficult knowing the TV lineup since it's not as set as it is in America, where Tuesday and Thursday were the biggest days, and 9pm is the main timeslot.

Jerry Springer just isn't up to the quality level they had 4-5 years ago. I'm sorry, but someone had to say it.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I like Smallviile. Although they do sometimes go off and do something that you have seen elsewhere already (season four and the Stones/Reincarnated Witches thing springs to mind), it's got enough there to keep me coming back for more. The Clark/Lana thing did get old, but the current series just ended with Lex/Lana kicking off, which brings a much nicer twist to the whole thing. As long as Lana just stops bloody crying for once it'll be an improvement. God, can't they just give that character something to smile about?

Apart from that, I've got a thing for Battlestar Galactica, although the new series is going to be a lot different from the way series two ended. Without going into too many details for those who haven't seen it, it'll be interesting to see if they can pull it off.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
I enjoyed Frasier back in the day. The episode where Niles is getting ready for an evening, trying to iron his slacks, cook dinner, keep Eddie from eating the food, and eventually set the couch on fire, is hysterical. Utter slapstick magic.

The only thing that I've found that comes close is Two and a Half Men. The cast is excellent, I was never one for Charlie Sheen, but his casting in this show is perfect. John Cryer plays a "Niles-like" role as the inept brother. Angus Jones plays John Cryer's son. The writing is top notch, and there is a great degree of slapstick humor and sexually charged humor.

Season 1 and 2 were brilliant, Season 3 is a bit off, due to the age of Angus. He's becoming less of a precocious child and more of a self-absorbed teenager.

Still, highly recommended.

Curren~Sea

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Smallville is great. If you've watched it from the beginning, the plot and characters have come a long way. If you're picking it up now for the first time, then it would probably be less fulfilling. This coming season will probably be its last although I wouldn't mind it continuing on. I'm just not sure where else it can go...

Of course, the best thing about Smallville is that it's filmed in my home town and I recognize all of the locations!

Other than that, I can't make any recommendations other than - It's summer - go outside and do stuff!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Curren~Sea said:
Of course, the best thing about Smallville is that it's filmed in my home town and I recognize all of the locations!
I love the way that the Kansas State building became Metropolis Uni before turning into a base on Cylon-occupied Caprica. The BBC are always doing period dramas round our way so we have a similar effect with all our pubs and landmarks, although we have less superheroes and aliens :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.