Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi, just got a 360 and want to get online. Instead of buying the MS Wireless adapter or an Ethernet game adapter, could I use another Wireless Router to accept the signal from my existing router & then plug the ethernet cable from the router into the 360?

Thanks

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
Errm that is a long winded way of doing it... wouldn't the xbox adaptor end up being cheaper ? (I don't know I don't have an xbox)

But anyway, yes it is possible but there are better ways. Even just buying an AP and putting it in bridge mode would be better.

But I just don't get why you don't want to buy the wireless adaptor.. that is the easiest way...

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
The Xbox adapter is $100 and a Linksys one is like $60. I was trying to go for a little less. If I did get a router, how could you put it in a Bridge-like mode?

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
On my Belkin router, I have the option to bridge it from the setup utility. It's probably the same for other routers out there. ;)

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
On my Belkin router, I have the option to bridge it from the setup utility. It's probably the same for other routers out there. ;)

Hmm, Can anyone clarify this? Will it work cross-brand? IE: My main, 'real' router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 (Wireless B). If I were to buy a Belkin router, could I bridge a connection between my existing Wireless B network and the Xbox?

Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.