Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
This is not specifically an OSX question but maybe someone can help. I don't have alot of experience with rpm so I don't really know how to do this (maybe it is simple). I have an rpm, I don't want to install it, I just want know what dependencies it has (i.e. other rpm's).

The best cmd I've come up with is:

rpm -i --test mypackage.rpm

Does this specify all dependencies or only those which fail? On the one linux box I can test on it gives me two failed dependencies. I'd like to know of any "passing" dependencies.

I basically want to include all the rpm's required by mypackage.rpm on one disc for a later install.

tuxtpenguin

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
TX
It's been a while since I've used rpm, but you can type man rpm on the linux test machine you have and see all the options. I believe there was a view spec file which will probably show you the dependencies of the package. Hope this helps.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I basically want to include all the rpm's required by mypackage.rpm on one disc for a later install.

As was already said. "man rpm" will tell you. It's one of the options after -q. But I just wanted to add that you need to remember that those dependencies will have dependencies and so on you will have to query each dependent rpm

EDIT I'm able to look it up now and yes, as said below it's "rpm -qR <package>"

demallien

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
As was already said. "man rpm" will tell you. It's one of the options after -q. But I just wanted to add that you need to remember that those dependencies will have dependencies and so on you will have to query each dependent rpm

Yup, it's -q -R if I remember correctly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.