RPM question (mostly linux but maybe OSX)

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by psingh01, Aug 30, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

This is not specifically an OSX question but maybe someone can help. I don't have alot of experience with rpm so I don't really know how to do this (maybe it is simple). I have an rpm, I don't want to install it, I just want know what dependencies it has (i.e. other rpm's).

The best cmd I've come up with is:

rpm -i --test mypackage.rpm

Does this specify all dependencies or only those which fail? On the one linux box I can test on it gives me two failed dependencies. I'd like to know of any "passing" dependencies.

I basically want to include all the rpm's required by mypackage.rpm on one disc for a later install.

2. macrumors regular

It's been a while since I've used rpm, but you can type man rpm on the linux test machine you have and see all the options. I believe there was a view spec file which will probably show you the dependencies of the package. Hope this helps.

3. macrumors G4

As was already said. "man rpm" will tell you. It's one of the options after -q. But I just wanted to add that you need to remember that those dependencies will have dependencies and so on you will have to query each dependent rpm

EDIT I'm able to look it up now and yes, as said below it's "rpm -qR <package>"

4. macrumors regular

Yup, it's -q -R if I remember correctly...

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks alot! Just what I needed :)