Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appletechpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
So, I'm wondering... what would be the disadvantages / advantages of booting with CMD+R, opening a Terminal and rsyncing the entire root (e.g. rsync -av /Volumes/EXISTING_INSTALL/ /Volumes/NEW_DISK) from one install to a freshly formatted disk?

Would this not be faster than first installing the OS, and then restoring from Time Machine via Migration Assistant?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That would work. The only downside I see is t would not give you a Lion recovery partition.

You might take a look at the free Carbon Copy Cloner app. It is a GUI to rsync that will do what you want and can also be used to restore the Lion recovery partition.

appletechpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
That would work. The only downside I see is t would not give you a Lion recovery partition.

Yeah, I examined the disk structures and I could easily restore a recovery partition from the old disk to the new disk via dd. For simplicity's sake, I just went ahead with the usual OS Install/Time Machine route, but thanks for the confirmation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.