Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Is the Apple Store UK usually totally incompetent?
I bought my first Mac last month. A G3 iBook. Two days later they brought out the G4 iBook so I sent mine back and ordered the new one.
Except I'm still waiting for them to collect the old one — and they seem to have lost track of the replacement.
It shipped from Taiwan on October 31. Tracking says it left Luxembourg on November 6.
But neither Apple nor TNT know where it is now. There's no TNT tracking number yet and the Apple Store says there's a 'data issue' (whatever that is) with TNT at the moment. They also don't know when they'll pick up the G3 for a refund.
Is this usual? Do they really want to put me off ever ordering from them again?

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
After the major F**k-up that was 'night of the Panther', I'd personally never use AppleStore UK again.

Keep pushing them to give you a definate answer on the status of your order, and keep a record of all conversations, with whom you spoke to and when. Personally I'd email them after each contact just to confirm of the current state of play, and politely ask for a receipt of the email.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Same happened to me. I ordered a iBook G4 (I am located in Germany). It arrived in Luxembourg and since then nothing happened.

TNT can't find the shipment in their system. So I called the Apple Store today (finally).

The guy that was talking to me reacted somehow arrogant and somehow indifferent to my questions.

In fact (that's what he told me) the Apple Store did a major software change recently and that's why they have problems to process the orders and to ship them to the customers in Europe. Until those issues are sorted out no delivery will be made.

When I asked when I can expect delivery he just said that he can't tell me a specific date. I asked this week? He can't tell. Next week? Probably, but he can't tell.

When I asked him if he doesn't think that it is not acceptable that my credit card was charged already last week and that I maybe(!) get my iBook next week (2 weeks later), he didn't react first, then he just said: "Well, the only thing you can do is wait!"

I tell you, this was the last time I bought from the Apple Store. It is rediculous that they have my money already 2 weeks before I finally get the purchased item. End of story! If I would treat my customers like that I would be depending on social welfare by now...

It's like always with Apple: Great products, but a lousy company overall!

groovebuster

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Thanks for that info.
I'm going to ring the Apple Store now and ask them exactly what is going on.
What faith can you put in a computer company that can't deliver because they've changed their software?????
I'll let you know what they say.

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Just got off the phone to the Apple Store.
According to the woman I talked to there's a problem getting the TNT tracking numbers back to Apple because of a conflict with new software.
She reckoned they're working through a backlog now and it might be OK within 24 hours.
She also reckoned my iBook might be delivered by Friday.
Mind you, I don't believe her. When I asked where the iBook was at this moment she told me it had DEFINITELY left the Luxembourg depot on November 6. "So where is it?" I asked. To this she had no reply. Apple don't know because they can't get the TNT tracking numbers onto their system and TNT can't tell me because I only have the Apple tracking number. So, according to her logic, absolutely no-one knows where it is — nor, apparently, do they care.
Think I mighht start reading Catch 22 again tonight. Or The Trial.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
My guy told me, that the boxes get shipped from Luxembourg to Eindhoven (Holland), because there is the TNT center that is distributing the boxes to the different places in Central Europe...

So he told me that my iBook is probably in Eindhoven by now... but nobody knows for sure.

groovebuster

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Probably seems the operative word there.
I recall when I ordered my original iBook (the one I'm still waiting for them to pick up) that once it got to Holland TNT were incredibly quick to ship it to London and then on to me. Took less than 48 hours.
The issue here seems to be is it just the fact that TNT and Apple can't communicate at the moment because of the software problem so the tracking is not giving accurate info —_or does the lack of communication mean orders are being delayed?
I'm going to get onto TNT now to see if they can give me accurate info about what the problem is. Glad I joined this Forum — the more info you can throw at them the more likely you are to get some attention.

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
TNT say they're checking to see what the problem is with Apple. They seem to think it's Apple at fault — not them.
As for e-mailing Apple and asking for a reply — forget it. They just ignore you. My first experience of the Apple Store is proving a crushing disappointment. How can they get away with it?
Other businesses would go bust with this level of customer service.

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
I'm in the same situation.

I ordered a dual G5 last week, on wednesday, and it shipped on saturday night (!). I got a tracking number from Apple, but when using it on TNT's site, it only replies with an error message saying that the specific delivery can't be found. When using Apple's tracking page, the G5 shows but it has no recorded delivery locations nor date stamps. I called Apple Store last night and they had to check it up manually, so I got a reference number and I'm gonna call them later today to check if they've found out anything.

Also, my bank account showed that the amount of money that Apple charged for the G5 last week has now returned to my account... Wierd. I hope they forget it. :D :p

agdickinson

macrumors regular
Apple said TNT should deliver it Thur/Fri

Hi,

I ordered 25th October, I've had several e-mails from Apple.

Aparently there have been delays (as you guy's have mentioned).

The latest e-mail from the Apple store said I should have my G5 Dual by Thursday/Friday of this week.....

Fingers/Toes/Arms/Legs crossed :)

Aparently there is a new warehouse opening in the UK as well so I've been told which should help things in Western Europe..

Andrew

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Rang Apple again.
The guy says there's been a massive backlog at their new British warehouse so they haven't shipped anything in for seven days.
They're now saying all outstanding orders will be delivered either Friday or Monday.
It's getting closer. (Not that I'm banking on them actually hitting those dates.)

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Update from my side...

I still didn't get my iBook and the order status on the Apple website still states that it arrived in Luxembourg, but no change after that.

So I called once again the Apple Store today to ask if thy have any news about the status of the whereabouts of my iBook. Now sit down and chill... :mad:

The guy checked the system and said it left Taiwan yesterday!!!! :confused:

I told him that this is impossible, because it arrived in Luxembourg already days ago, and that this was also the status all the other people I was talking to confirmed. So he cross-checked the data and seemed pretty puzzled that at two different parts of the system he got conradicting info about the order status. Hooray!!!! So they have corrupted data in their database!?!?! :eek: This is really starting to be fun!

I told him that he should find out where my iBook is and when exactly it will be delivered until early afternoon today, otherwise I will cancel the order and want my money back immediately.

He promised to e-mail me within the next few hours.

No matter what the outcome of all this will be, I will NEVER EVER AGAIN order something from the Apple Store!!! This bunch of losers is really one of the most unprofessional businesses I ever dealed with.

groovebuster

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Groovebuster: WHAT???? That's appalling. Confirms what I've been thinking all along — they're just giving out different stories whenever you ring.
I rang Apple yesterday and the woman said it should be with me by Wednesday (NOT Monday as they'd originally said.) She told me it was currently in Eindhoven and had been there from November 7. Tracking page just says it's left Luxembourg.
I'm going to ring again today to see wether it's the same story.
Ring them this afternoon and demand your money back if you don't get a delivery by a certain date. I have heard of people having their orders fast-tracked when they cause a fuss.
I'll let you know what they tell me.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
New Info:

After the guy didn't call or e-mail me (of course), I rang them again. I had a very friendly girl with a wonderful english accent on the phone. I explained to her (also very friendly, she sounded too nice to rant right away) that her colleague didn't contact me even though he promised and that I want to know the procedure how to cancel just in case she can't finally give me more specific info than "I don't know...".

Voilà! I have a TNT tracking number now (I checked it already on their systen, it works) and the iBook will be dropped at my place on monday.

Anyway... the next Mac will be bought from a dealer and not the Apple Store. One nice employee isn't worth the hassle with those guys...

I hope your stuff will arrive soon too. I'll keep you posted if it really arrived on monday. Unfortunately right on monday I have a packed schedule with a business meeting in the evening... :( So I won't get my hands on it before 10 p.m.

Greetings from Berlin,

groovebuster

Edit: Just called TNT, they confirmed the delivery and said the box would arrive on Tuesday, not monday... well, now I know for sure at least.

Macademic

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2003
Been having similar problems with AppleStore for Education (UK).

Laptops shipped from TW (3.11.03) but still no arrivals.

AppleStore rep coming to visit next week...lots of explaining to do...

Jonm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Groovebuster: Great to hear it — good luck. Hope it arrives Tuesday. I'll keep you posted on my delivery status. Just remember — it might have been a hassle but it'll be worth it when it arrives. :)
Like you, I won't be ordering from the Apple Store again!

agdickinson

macrumors regular
Still waiting

Well so much for the shipping in 1/2 working days :mad:

Still I guess a wait of 3 weeks is better that some people. :(

Just been told I'm loosing my Job tomorrow to top it all off... Isn't life fun :mad: :( :mad:

Well I was always after a change I guess.

Andrew

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
I once ordered an iBook and it took like years to get here. The funny part was that i was told that it was going to ship from Taiwan two minutes before I had it in my hands. So much for that.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
OK, so my wife called me a few minutes ago and told me that the iBook was delivered to our home address at 10:15 a.m. this morning...

Since I am in the office of my current contractor the whole day, I won't be able to "personally" receive it before late evening.

But at least it is there now after all the trouble. I hope it is fully functional and I don't have dead pixels right from the beginning... would be just the icing on the whole issue. :rolleyes:

groovebuster

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Seems many are having that problem, not only in Europe, but in North America, Australia etc... I have never orded anything over the net, but am sceptical to do so, because of the troubles many seem to be having with shipping.

When I buy, I buy in cash and expect a 10%min discount, if they can't give me that, I go somewhere else it's that simple. No orders, no waiting just I've got the cash and I want that product, and if it doesn't work I want a no questions swap. That is how business is done.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by manitoubalck
I have never orded anything over the net, but am sceptical to do so, because of the troubles many seem to be having with shipping.

It really depends. The last thing I bought from an online store was my Canon Digital IXUS V2 a few weeks ago. It's a really small business in another town here in Germany (I only heard of them because they got great reviews from other cutomers). Great service and way cheaper than other stores. I ordered and it arrived at my place ... yes, it sounds almost unbelievable... the next day in the afternoon. So it is possible! Just not with Apple...

groovebuster

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by groovebuster
So it is possible! Just not with Apple...

groovebuster

Nah. When I ordered my iMac I got it in 3 days when I was expecting it to come in 3 weeks. If everyone is having a problem, it means it's one problem which they have to resolve. Sure, it's a stupid problem, but it doesn't mean it's like that all the time. Many people have different experiences with different things, and if you don't want to use the Apple Store again that is fine, but don't blow it off because of one incident which you know is a common problem and Apple is aware of.

irmongoose

FozzieUK

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
I have a G5 on order from UK Applestore since middle of October. Had 3 delivery dates promised... all sorts of excuses e.g. TNT f*ck up, new computer system, blah de blah. Nothing yet...

Offered 5% discount off next order lol... they wont be getting another order. Checked other online retailers and they show models 'in stock'. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.