Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This seems to be your opinion as it is not my experience. My beta expired with iOS 6 and it was incredibly easy to get to a computer and simply downgrade back to iOS 5. It was not hard. The hardest part was that the beta expired while I wasn't home and had to wait to get home before I had my phone again. I survived. ;)

I was mainly referring to people who downloaded a file off the interwebs somewhere and installed it, without having a registered UDID.

Granted, something like that happening is slim, but it has happened to a few people here trying to downgrade after installing iOS 7. Whether it was due to user error or some unknown bug, I don't know. Either way, rumors like what the OP is asking about are not something I am worried about. For all we know, the rumor was started on Twitter or some other social network, as a means for scammers to get more money selling UDID's.

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I re-installed iOS 7 and its fine now, but decided to register my UDID this time around. Not sure how to prove im not a "scammer", but woke up and my phone was on the activation screen.. when I tried to get past it, it told me my device wasn't part of the program (obviously). I then had to restore back iOS 6. I hope for the sake of everyone else, it was just a random bug that caused this and not Apple blocking users. either way, very weird.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Did this really not happen to anyone else? I'm being 100% serious, woke up and my phone was in the activation screen. had to restore back to ios 6.

This happened to my mom and I, both iPhone 5 on iOS 6, so I don't think this has anything to do with iOS 7 beta.

I downgraded back to iOS 6 2 days ago and my mom just got the iPhone 5 less than a week ago, she was never on iOS 7 and around 1am both our phones went into DFU mode randomly.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
If you use iOS 7 Beta 1, there were some rumors that iOS 7 Beta 1 users will have their phone bricked in Recovery Mode in June 24 at 12:00 (Greenwich Mean Time).

Was this rumor real?

I dunno about the date, but every phone on every iOS beta has a brick date. All the betas are time limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.